IGNORED

Club Fitting and Swing Changes

Note: This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi here is my scenario. I used to play with a set of PXG 0311XF GEN2 Irons (60g graphite MMT shaft) and Titleist woods (Graphite design Tour AD 7s, driver is 44" ) with a midsize grip and Vardon style grip of holding the clubs. I was doing this for 10 years. My hands would always hurt and I would put some tape around my fingers.

I decided to change the grip size to standard and the way I held the club to the interlock. I noticed that my hands did not hurt and I felt I did not grip the clubs too tight. I still hit my clubs the same distance my approach wedge would go about 105 to 110  yds. maybe a tad shorter than before but no one club length.

To take it a step further I went to a fitter and they changed my clubs to a Srixon ZX4 and had the KBS Tour Graphite 60g shaft in the irons they also fitted me with a Callaway Epic driver with a Diamana 40g shaft to a 45" length driver. All my clubs now have a swing weight of D3.

I lost a club length in distance now my approach wedge is just like my SW about 95 yds. My ball flight is so high in all these clubs but distance is not there.

Could this be me all the changes I incorporated in a few months since be the culprit?  All the clubs now I hit them shorter. I incorporated all these changes in July of last year. Need help

My handicap has gone from a 15.2 to a 19 from all these changes

Edited by GuamAP2
additional information

Where the lofts of the irons and wedges different than the other sets?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Where the lofts of the irons and wedges different than the other sets?

Unless he had them bent, the ZX4's should be a degree to a degree and a half stronger lofted. 

7 hours ago, GuamAP2 said:

I went to a fitter and they changed my clubs to a Srixon ZX4 and had the KBS Tour Graphite 60g shaft in the irons

What made you select these clubs?
Did you bring your old clubs with you to compare side by side?

Did you only hit 7-iron or did you hit the lowest and highest lofted clubs as well? 

Less distance with an iron may or may not be a bad thing. If you are looking for something other than distance. .. i.e. feel, dispersion, etc... Having said that, the clubs you switched to have lower loft, so there's definitely something going on there. 

Lastly, you should do the dry erase marker test (i.e. sharpie test) to see where your strikes with your new clubs are. Or, better yet get with your swing coach and figure out why you are losing distance. 

Do you have a MySwing Thread? 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

It is possible you got miss-fitted for irons, but the fitting should have been on a launch monitor where you could compare the numbers from what you had to what you were being fitted into. 

KBS Tour Graphite have a high launch characteristic with higher spin characteristic for that weight range. 

MMT is a mid launch and mid spin characteristics. 

It is possible to see a much higher launch by changing the golf shafts. You are having 1 degree stronger loft from the Srixon to the PXG in the approach wedge. I would say it is less the clubhead and more the shaft selection or your golf swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was only fitted for the 7 iron and the driver which also flies so high but does not go very far. The clubs are also a bit longer than stock by 1/2". I am guessing it must be the spin. By the way the fitting was at club champion. I was also asked to hit on a lie board and they made the clubs upright by 1.5 degrees. Is there a learning curve to the new club specs? These clubs overall feel very light. It could also be my swing is not fit for the new clubs? I am confused...

GOLF CLUBS SPECS COMPARISON.pdf

I got fitted at club champion as well. They fit me with a heavier shaft.  125 grams. And the shaft that I got is 0.875" shorter than the standard length for my clubs. So my 6 iron is now actually shorter than the standard 7 iron. And a whole inch shorter than my old irons. I'm also a bit confused as I am only 5'8" and only about 160lbs so I'm not big, and I have normal length arms.  Is it normal for them to change things so drastically?  I'm still within the 90day period, but have yet to hit then as far or as well as I did in the fitting.  The only length fitting he did with me is have me chock up on the shaft.  He decided on his own to make them that short.  The paper work I took home never had the shorter length. He even tried to tell me that it was his choice to make and not mine. My biggest issue is they said if I want them longer they would only add spacers and not replace the shafts even though he never gave me the option or even mentioned this part to me. I was happy with the fitting but not as much anymore. So I am also a little confused as to how a length gets measured and if this is normal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 5:50 PM, Lupi619 said:

I got fitted at club champion as well. They fit me with a heavier shaft.  125 grams. And the shaft that I got is 0.875" shorter than the standard length for my clubs. So my 6 iron is now actually shorter than the standard 7 iron. And a whole inch shorter than my old irons. I'm also a bit confused as I am only 5'8" and only about 160lbs so I'm not big, and I have normal length arms.  Is it normal for them to change things so drastically?  I'm still within the 90day period, but have yet to hit then as far or as well as I did in the fitting.  The only length fitting he did with me is have me chock up on the shaft.  He decided on his own to make them that short.  The paper work I took home never had the shorter length. He even tried to tell me that it was his choice to make and not mine. My biggest issue is they said if I want them longer they would only add spacers and not replace the shafts even though he never gave me the option or even mentioned this part to me. I was happy with the fitting but not as much anymore. So I am also a little confused as to how a length gets measured and if this is normal.

You could discuss this with @Adam C🙂

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!