IGNORED

Will Butch Harmon help Ernie Els improve his swing?

Avid Golfer
Note: This thread is 5868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you think Butch Harmon will help to improve Ernie Els golf swing?

• Yes
    • No

Butch Harmon has now taken David Leadbetter's place as Ernie Els swing instructor. Els said he is working with Harmon to tighten and shorten his swing (make it more compact) as well hear some different advice. Do you think Harmon will help Els improve his golf swing?

Els interview:
http://www.masters.org/en_US/news/in...664054484.html

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

its difficult to say if it will help him right away, i definately think it will down the road. maybe it will help right away and he will do good at augusta, but its difficult to say when he's changing things up the week of the tourney.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Personally, I don't think Ernie's swing is his problem - it seems more mental to me. Make his swing more compact? I don't think this will help as much as it did with Phil and his past-parallel swing. I suppose hearing different advice could help, but seems like it could hurt. I just hope he isn't grasping at straws.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I think it is impossible definitively to say if it will help or not. Listen, swing changes like this have helped many players over the years, but others not so much. Curtis Strange is one such guy that faded from prominence when he tried to change is swing.

I can't believe Ernie hasn't won more than he has. Nonetheless, he feels he needs a change, and I hope it works out for him. He seems like a nice fella.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I think sometimes they need to make a change for change sakes. Things get stale, need a new reason to get motivated. At least he didn't trade in his wife for a younger, faster model. I like him and hope it works out

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

Its kind of looking like Butch is the best instructor in the game...right now if butch said something then i probally would listen

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Its kind of looking like Butch is the best instructor in the game...right now if butch said something then i probally would listen

Give up golf, and leave the poor folks at The Sand Trap alone. There's no way you're a two.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This was a hanging curveball...

Give up golf, and leave the poor folks at The Sand Trap alone. There's no way you're a two.

...knocked out of the park

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I can't understand why you would say such a thing..it seems everyone today is flocking to Butch Harmon...Stop making flamboyant remarks that dilute the discussion

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I can't understand why you would say such a thing..it seems everyone today is flocking to Butch Harmon...Stop making flamboyant remarks that dilute the forums..

I think you just got trolled, son.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

What does this mean. Who should give up golf and whos not a two? Maybe its just too early in the day for me.

• Administrator
I can't understand why you would say such a thing..it seems everyone today is flocking to Butch Harmon...Stop making flamboyant remarks that dilute the discussion

Once again, the point sails right over your head, r7 425. Don't make me call Butch up to explain it to you.

I'm pretty sure I got it, but just look at the guys picture. Yeah, he kinda looks like a 2 or 3 handicap to me.

His picture is of Tom Pernice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Who you callin' flamboyant, you pansy? I kicked John Daly to the curb, so don't think you're not next. I've seen a lot of jokers in my day but you, pal, you take the cake. Been lurking on these fine forums for quite some time now, and never have I seen someone as ill fit to TALK about golf let alone give advice as you.

And hell yeah I'm gonna help Ernie with his swing. They don't call me the Kingmaker for nothing. Okay, so it's just my accountant who calls me that, and certainly not my brothers, but so what? The leaderboard will be full of Butch Babies this week, you just watch.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

i think Ernie will do well this year and move higher up the world rankings- he's done fine so far without the help of an arrogant egomaniac like Butch Harmon. However, i do feel that David Duval could definitely benefit from his help, but there might be conflict as BM goes for fundamental change rather than working with whats already there. If you really are BM, shouldn't you be tuning up on the range?

I'm pretty sure I got it, but just look at the guys picture. Yeah, he kinda looks like a 2 or 3 handicap to me.

In case you didn't already know that isn't a picture of him/her. It is a picture of Tom Pernice Jr.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/00/19/41/
lol... sorry.

It's ok if you didn't know. After all Tom Pernice Jr. isn't a well known pro, and hasn't achieved much during his time on tour.

Now back to the topic of the thread... Edit: Woops looks like iacas beat me to it.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Butch Harmon has now taken David Leadbetter's place as Ernie Els swing instructor. Els said he is working with Harmon to tighten and shorten his swing (make it more compact) as well hear some different advice. Do you think Harmon will help Els improve his golf swing?

It is my belief that the only way to have a solid golf swing that is consistant week to week is to make it as compact as possible.

Note: This thread is 5868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!