IGNORED

Hitting Down, Golf Mat and Injury?

Note: This thread is 757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does my mat prevent me from hitting down?

I don’t feel good when hitting down on the mat with 7-i. The feedback and vibration kind of hurt my wrist and elbow after a few day of hard practice. The distance is also not as good compare when I hit like sweeping motion (less divot). I don’t have this problem with those 4i 5h or 5W.

Is it my swing or the mat? What can I do with the mat for better result? Can I add layer of exercise cushion under the mat, on hitting from short rubber tee?

Im not which mat is this, old mat from a nice golf course, very thick bottom layer and very heavy (70-100lb for 5’x5’) 

Please don’t move this post to my swing section, thanks.

• Administrator

The swing isn't loading (here or on YouTube) right now, but you can certainly get a "bad" mat that causes injury and/or trains you not to hit down very much. That's definitely a thing, and I'd be cautious about using such a mat in the future.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yeah, so, that appears to be hitting down a good bit.

Get a gel-filled mat, like a TrueStrike, or one with some lighter foam beneath or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Can I buy those in section or strip to add to this mat? Or any better way to compress the ball without hitting down? Seriously I have been checking out different mat including divot action mat.

It is totally different feel when hitting 5W, the bounce is so bad I don’t pratice wedges on this mat. On the course I can’t hit the ball as good as when on the mat (might be my swing not completely mat fault )

1 hour ago, hoonnirun said:

Can I buy those in section or strip to add to this mat? Or any better way to compress the ball without hitting down? Seriously I have been checking out different mat including divot action mat.

It is totally different feel when hitting 5W, the bounce is so bad I don’t pratice wedges on this mat. On the course I can’t hit the ball as good as when on the mat (might be my swing not completely mat fault )

There's a product called "Fairway Pro Sliding Golf Mat". 
It can be added to your normal golf mat and helps reduce shock and also simulates a divot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

8 hours ago, hoonnirun said:

Does my mat prevent me from hitting down?

I don’t feel good when hitting down on the mat with 7-i. The feedback and vibration kind of hurt my wrist and elbow after a few day of hard practice. The distance is also not as good compare when I hit like sweeping motion (less divot). I don’t have this problem with those 4i 5h or 5W.

Is it my swing or the mat? What can I do with the mat for better result? Can I add layer of exercise cushion under the mat, on hitting from short rubber tee?

Im not which mat is this, old mat from a nice golf course, very thick bottom layer and very

I don't know whether this is right, but our course has a few mats outdoors on the driving range and while there is a roof over them, they do get exposed to some direct sunlight depending on the position.  What the club pro does is ensure that the mats are watered daily so that they stay soft and don't get brittle.  Of course, what I have noticed is that we seem to take up a bit more of the mat when hitting shots cos the club face looks quite green, but try that and see if it helps

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I got this hitting strip to replace my Real Feel mat. It got good reviews in the golf simulator forum. They also have a stance mat to go around it, but I built my own.

2309151400.jpg

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR PRE-SALE! EXPECTED TO SHIP EARLY TO MID APRIL. We designed our Holy Grail Hitting Strip to provide a realistic hitting surface, with real-world ball flights...

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I got this hitting strip to replace my Real Feel mat. It got good reviews in the golf simulator forum. They also have a stance mat to go around it, but I built my own.

2309151400.jpg

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR PRE-SALE! EXPECTED TO SHIP EARLY TO MID APRIL. We...

Yeah I’ve been looking for that too. I saw a guy diy his own strip on YouTube a couple days back. 
How do you like that mat. Should I just cat portion off my own mat to fit that strip?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hoonnirun said:

Yeah I’ve been looking for that too. I saw a guy diy his own strip on YouTube a couple days back. 
How do you like that mat. Should I just cat portion off my own mat to fit that strip?

It good for not shocking your wrist. If you hit it heavy, the ball will launch higher and you can feel that. I haven’t used it enough yet to comment on how long it will last.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, hoonnirun said:

New upload

Your mat looks ok to me. I’d say it’s your swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!