IGNORED

Clubhead Speed... What's Yours?

Note: This thread is 5453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread is almost like asking a bunch of high school kids their penis size. On the internet everyone is huge... heh.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300mph. I have to get my driver shafts assembled and sent to me by NASA.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

This thread is almost like asking a bunch of high school kids their penis size. On the internet everyone is huge... heh.

8", but I can crank it to 10" if I try really hard. Though I have a tendency to pull and yank it left. I think I'm coming over the top and don't get the head connecting properly.

I'm just glad I never sliced it....

I was consistently at 102 until reducing my effort to about 75%. Now I am up to 108-112.
Driver: Cleveland Hi-Bore Tour 9.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Red-Stiff
Fairway: Cleveland Hi-Bore 15°, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red-Stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Dual TP 3H, Diamana Blue Board-Stiff
Irons: MacGregor MT 3-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff
Wedges: MacGregor MT Pro 52-6° & 58-10°Putter:...

It was tested about 4 months ago and with a driver it was 117-119MPH.

Whats in my R7 bag:
Driver:Nike Sq 5000 (The Beast)
3 Wood: Burner tp 14.5
VR Blades P-2
Wedges: 52,56,60 CG12 Putter: 2 Ball

Tiger averages 298. I hit the ball about 285 on my draw and about 10 less on my cut fade, I am 117-118 on the draw and just slightly less on the fade.

Golfsmith and PGA Superstore had it between 105 and 110. I've yet to get it measured where I can see the ball fly at the range

Has anyone ever seen a 96 mph swing speed reading generate 301 yards (~289 carry) on an LM? This happened to me once at Golfsmith. My actual SS is around 114, but I was warming up and hitting 50% or so. I expected 220 and thought it was weird. The numbers looked pretty good. I don't remember what they were exactly, but the smash factor was something like 1.55. The spin was around 2200RPM. The LM gave it a shot score of 98/100. I'd like to hit with that little effort all the time for the sake of my back, but I feel like I can control 114 better than 96.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator
Has anyone ever seen a 96 mph swing speed reading generate 301 yards (~289 carry) on an LM? This happened to me once at Golfsmith. My actual SS is around 114, but I was warming up and hitting 50% or so. I expected 220 and thought it was weird. The numbers looked pretty good. I don't remember what they were exactly, but the smash factor was something like 1.55. The spin was around 2200RPM. The LM gave it a shot score of 98/100. I'd like to hit with that little effort all the time for the sake of my back, but I feel like I can control 114 better than 96.

289 carry with 96 MPH is bogus. Like, about 50 yards bogus. I'd doubt the rest of the numbers as well. If that reading had come up with me, I'd have just left. Their machine was obviously broken or "tuned" improperly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger averages 298. I hit the ball about 285 on my draw and about 10 less on my cut fade, I am 117-118 on the draw and just slightly less on the fade.

Doesn't Tigers average include 3W and irons off the tee?

Doesn't Tigers average include 3W and irons off the tee?

Yeah probably, but if if you have tiger hit 20 drives to a level landing area, id bet most of his drives would be in the 295-305 range. Which is all he really needs.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I can't speak to how vaild these numbers are, but I do remember a study a few years ago that adds some credibility (I think it was either Titleist or Ping).

Using Iron Byron, they determined that a ball struck dead center at 80 mph was more accurate and flew farther than a ball struck only a 1/4" off center at 100mph. Finding your own sweet spot tempo is key IME.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• Administrator
Using Iron Byron, they determined that a ball struck dead center at 80 mph was more accurate and flew farther than a ball struck only a 1/4" off center at 100mph.

Which is funny, since TaylorMade claims now that with the R9 460, a ball struck an inch - a

full frickin' inch - from the center of the clubface loses only 2 MPH ball speed. Yeah right. We're not that gullible, TM. Anyway, back to topic... apologies for the brief tangent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not sure really. That one time I had it measured when shopping for a driver it was all over the place. Anywhere from 100 - 115. That was a few years ago, I was about a 20 or so back then, so now the range may be a little tighter (a little).

Honestly I'm much more impressed with the Medicus power meter for determining swing speed. Regardless of whether it is "spot on", it is extremely consistent from swing to swing, so it may only be off by a linear factor. But player height and club length are configurable, so you could get it into the proper range. The only downside is that it attaches to the club, so it changes the weight and release a tad. Even so, you probably swing slightly faster without one of these things on, so if you're swinging 115, it's probably at least that.

Other devices, particularly the ones that use two pictures of the ball followed by an edge detection algorithm to find the line on the ball, I'm not so impressed with. They are too prone to things like dirty lenses, dirty balls, position of the device etc. Plus, the line is thick enough that I would bet the spin estimates are off by +-500 RPM. As in, it fits a 1 pixel curve within a 10 pixel swatch. I was hitting a straight shot and it said it was pulled 10 degrees. I hit a 20 degree block and it said it was straight.

I can't speak to the radar devices, but I'd imagine they are best for determining ball speed and not clubhead speed, which matters more anyway.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I was consistently in the 104 range with my driver a few months back. I tired a new Sasquatch which was a touch higher, but still under 105. I also tried a Diablo which came in anywhere from 98 to 102. Needless to say, I kept my R7 460.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 5453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!