IGNORED

How to Grip the Club Like Tiger Woods

Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm taking a 10 week golf class right now and the instructor sent this out to all the students this am. It may be old hat to a lot of you, but it explained the grip and it's variations more clearly and concisely than I've been exposed to before, so I'll share it here in the hopes that it might help someone else.

I still have a question that I'll ask the instructor about at the next class... my impression was/is that you pick a grip and stick with it. But it seems that maybe it would be good to get familiar with at least 2 variations for either distance or control???

How to Grip the Club Like Tiger Woods

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I have a neutral (2 knuckles showing) and a strong (3 knuckles showing) grip, If I'm pushing the ball right consistently, I'll switch to a stronger grip. I was always told you should stick with one grip that is comfortable to you, but I have 2.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Pelz suggests 3 different grips be used in the game of golf. A distance shot grip (probably a "strong" grip), a finesse shot/short-game grip (a more "Neutral" grip), and your putting grip.

I just use a neutral grip for everything but putting, since my bad shots are usually nasty hooks anyways.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I'm taking a 10 week golf class right now and the instructor sent this out to all the students this am. It may be old hat to a lot of you, but it explained the grip and it's variations more clearly and concisely than I've been exposed to before, so I'll share it here in the hopes that it might help someone else.

This is a great post. If more golfers spent more time on this and less on understanding things of others, they would improve there game almost overnight. Great Post

Pelz suggests 3 different grips be used in the game of golf. A distance shot grip (probably a "strong" grip), a finesse shot/short-game grip (a more "Neutral" grip), and your putting grip.

I think thats great advice for a skilled golfer, but not so much for most of us. I think you should be only using a putter grip and a strait up standard grip until you are at least a single digit handicap. Then you can switch it around because you know what those changes mean. It would be confusing doing that with someone that is trying to learn and be better at the game, imo.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I think thats great advice for a skilled golfer, but not so much for most of us. I think you should be only using a putter grip and a strait up standard grip until you are at least a single digit handicap. Then you can switch it around because you know what those changes mean. It would be confusing doing that with someone that is trying to learn and be better at the game, imo.

How many pro's have you heard of that have 3 different grips?????? I like that would be confusing for anyone, no matter what level. It is alot easier to manipulate the clubhead than it is the hands.

How many pro's have you heard of that have 3 different grips??????

Might be semantics here. I have one non-putting grip, but I rotate it weak to varying degrees to hit fades/flops/bunker shots.

R9 SuperTri 10.5*
Exotics XCG-3 4W 16.5*
Idea Pro 18* and/or 20*
i15
X-Tour 54/60PM Trinidad TP Black LDPAll in a SCB and MicroCart

• Administrator
How many pro's have you heard of that have 3 different grips??????

Tiger Woods, despite what he says in his book, has three grips. He has his interlocking primary grip that he uses for all full-swing shots and most short game shots, he has his reverse overlap (putting) grip for all putts, and he says he sometimes uses a regular overlap grip on some short shots if it feels right. No hard and fast rules for it, just whenever it feels right on a short shot.

His book, it should be noted, is pretty old these days. It's a bit out of date.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks a lot for sharing the video, I enjoyed it.

I have always used an overlap grip but lately have come under heavy fire from my dad and a teacher he signed me up for because I had my right hand too far underneath the club. It was very very hard for me to do anything but this, it would just feel very unnatural and uncomfortable, from the gripping of the club all the way to swinging and hitting the ball.

I noticed in the video that he said that may be a symptom if my fingers are too small. Just for an idea, my middle finger is three inches long, and my pinky is two. I am about six feet tall and have what I thought to be normal sized hands, but maybe not. Perhaps is it time to see what the interlock does for me?

Sorry for the threadjack.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

to add to immts007 grip video, here is a good article with some good stuff in it about the golf grip, and there are some excellent book references at the end of the read.

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/grip.htm
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Im still trying to figure out if grip pressure makes a difference for me.

it definately makes a difference if you are gripping it too tight. this will not allow your forearms and shoulders to relax properly.

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Tiger Woods, despite what he says in his book, has three grips. He has his interlocking primary grip that he uses for all full-swing shots and most short game shots, he has his reverse overlap (putting) grip for all putts, and he says he sometimes uses a regular overlap grip on some short shots if it feels right. No hard and fast rules for it, just whenever it feels right on a short shot.

how so? What things are outdated?

Thanks a lot for sharing the video, I enjoyed it.

Those are some pretty small hands. I'm a half inch over 6', and my middle is 4", and pinky is 3 1/4".

I use interlocking for everything put putting, in which I use kind of a modified 10 finger that feels good. Never could get used to overlapping. Just felt like my right hand was disconnected from what I was doing.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Ditto... I went from a baseball grip (10 finger?) to interlocking. I am seeing the Vardon grip (overlapping?) more commonly now, but when I try it my right hand just feels dead and the shots are horrible. Sticking with interlocking.

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I use a slightly strong grip for most of my shots except I stregthen it for the driver to reduce my slice. I used to use the same interlocking grip for putting but recently changed to overlapping w/good results. So I guess you could say I have 3 grips also. My golf game however is probably more like tiggers rather than Tigers!

Mechanical thoughts are evil. Lately, I try to throw the club at the target and let the ball get in the way. The subconscious will take care of the details and the more I try to override it the worse the results.

There is something to be said for 'grip it and rip it'.

Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!