IGNORED

Am I Left or Right Handed?

Hi Guys, 

New here so my apologies if I'm creating a topic in the wrong place, 

I am right hand for most of my daily tasks, however with a golf club I naturally put my right hand near the top of the club and my left hand nearer the bottom, moving it the other way feels unnatural but I still face the ball as if I was playing right handed. My friend was kind enough to give me some right handed clubs but now I'm starting to play more often I don't know if I should be buying lefthanded clubs or sticking to the right handed ones? 

it's also worth noting that playing in the current position at the moment I can still hit the ball a good amount of yardage and also aim and be a little bit accurate when using irons any help would be greatly appreciated, 

Welcome to TST.   Although there are right handed golfers that golf left hand low, the improvement ceiling is relatively low.     Check out the site, especially the Covid-19 30 day challenge and I believe it will help immensely.   

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Greetings, and welcome.

Of course there are golfers who play what's often called "Cack-handed". But its rare and creates an uphill battle in most cases. My suggestion is to play right handed and switch your hands to a more traditional grip. 

Start here:

Your other option of course is to learn to play left handed. That may or may not be easier for you. Either way you decide I'd suggest against learning to play "Cack-handed" as it will always be a talking point and/or a place where any coaching that you get will have to begin and deal with. Better to just get out of the way in the beginning. 

It's your choice of course, but my suggestion would be learn to play with a traditional grip and then as you improve if you decide to make alterations you can. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

If you're right-handed and like to grip with the right hand on top… I suggest switching to lefty golf clubs. I don't think it's a big deal, but I do think having your dominant hand be the lead hand can be better overall.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My son golfs and bats lefty but throws and writes righty.  It was just natural for him when he got his first plastic bat as a toddler. Same for my daughter and my father was also that way.  My wife and I are completely right handed. My mom and my sisters are left handed. It is not that unusual to do somethings opposite handed. Try it both ways and see what feels best.

War Eagle!

Personally I am left handed in everything except golf.

Ironically enough when I started playing baseball as a kid I hit right handed until a coach switched me to left handed when I was like 8 or 9.  

The first golf clubs I had access to were right handed so it's all I've ever known. I haven't noticed any issues with it.

You could always try a left handed club or two at the range and see how they feel

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Everyone I have now been trying to use the club the correct way rather then trying to use the cack handed method it's been hard but it's starting to feel more natural doing it that way now which is good I have a charity golf day tomorrow fingers crossed everything goes well.