IGNORED

Has Golf Etiquette Gotten Worse?

Wade Patton

10 hours ago, Wade Patton said:

This course in particular makes it a point to share on their website:

Featuring the latest and greatest addition- USB Ports

Bring your own music and play golf to your tunes or charge your phone while your play with our new carts with
USB Ports. 

I take that to mean they encourage this particular offense to humanity? If I ever run into this myself, I will write a strongly worded old man letter to the facility letting them know I'll never go there again. And I'm sure they'll take me very seriously. 😕

• Like 1

They call it golf because the other four-letter words were taken. – Ray Floyd

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, mohearn said:

I don't know the rulles as to trying knock the darn thing out of the sky.

It's an automatic birdie for that hole. 

• Funny 1

14 minutes ago, Opoponax said:

I take that to mean they encourage this particular offense to humanity? If I ever run into this myself, I will write a strongly worded old man letter to the facility letting them know I'll never go there again. And I'm sure they'll take me very seriously. 😕

I mean this in the most loving way possible. 
You know, there are decaffeinated brands out there that taste just as good as the real thing.

👍😁👍

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, mohearn said:

About 6 weeks ago during league play, someone (not in league) was flying a drone art us as we tee'd  off on #3, short par 3 to a [almost] island green., and follows the ball as it landed on the green  Annoying as all. Still don't know where it came from. Pretty loud. I don't know the rulles as to trying knock the darn thing out of the sky.

I would not suggest trying to knock the drone out of the sky. It might cause you more grief than it's worth. In any event, you are certainly within your rights to complain about it to the course management.

Well if it's over an active golf course, hasn't the pilot assumed a degree of risk from flying golf balls? I know they're expensive and all, but I do not favor a world where drones are flying over my golf shots.

Nearly all the drone footage I see (made by golfers) is shot in the very early morning as the greens are being cut, or in the very late afternoon when folks have left the course. That seems proper to me.

This ain't no Party, this ain't no Disco...

10 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I would not suggest trying to knock the drone out of the sky. It might cause you more grief than it's worth. In any event, you are certainly within your rights to complain about it to the course management.

Yeah, rhetorical...  it's sorta the aerial equivalent of buzzing around the course on a dirt bike. :-)   It's a state parks course, great course but only to a point, you understand.  Like bethpage without the budget.  

I don't know if etiquette has gotten worse. We went for 2 years without rakes in traps, so folks got used to it.  And when you arrive at a green, and it's all pock-marked, there is little incentive to fix marks (of course you should, I get it).  I actually think the pace of play emphasis sends the wrong message, (hurry up, cut corners, move...).  One thing I had to get used to in NY was the yelling. OMG where I come from that's considered the epitome of rudeness, but here in NY it's ust how folks communicate..  I guess that's etiquette..

• Like 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I mean this in the most loving way possible. 
You know, there are decaffeinated brands out there that taste just as good as the real thing.

👍😁👍

1. No there isn't (good decaffeinated coffee). 

2. I know how crotchety I sound. Pitch marks, unraked bunkers, a painfully slow foursome with the remaining 9 holes open in front of them, etc.. All of it's nothing worse than a minor annoyance. But the music thing I just can't tolerate. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Once you allow music the argument is lost. The most I will say to a nearby golfer that I don't know is "can you turn it down?" I frame it as a question. Gives the guy a choice whether he wants to be a jerk or not. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 12:17 PM, Wade Patton said:

Cigarette butts in the divot sand--yup. So much information, too little smarts?

Folks who use the sand bucket on the cart as an ashtray....

8 hours ago, Opoponax said:

But the music thing I just can't tolerate. 

Why? 

41 minutes ago, brian222 said:

Once you allow music the argument is lost. 

Is it really that bad? I can totally take it or leave it. I don't think it makes a bit of difference in how I perform. 

Yesterday the wife and I played at a private course in the Sarasota area. We were behind a threesome who was not very good at golf and would hit multiple balls on every hole. We literally were sitting on the tee and waiting for these guys for the first three holes (while they were still teeing off). I assumed they would let us play through, they didn't. Finally on the forth hole I  drove around them and we played the remainder of the 18 holes in about 2 1/2 hours (no groups in front of these guys). When we finished on 18, they were playing number 10. As some of the previous posters have mentioned, I think they just didn't know golf etiquette. They parked carts next to the greens, played multiple balls on the first three holes, and obviously wouldn't allow us to play through. We were told when we came into the clubhouse afterwards (to get a beer), that they stopped at the turn and ate something (which usually means you have lost your place in line on 10). I have seen various cases of this the past couple of years so I would have to answer the topic question with a resounding "YES".

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

But these days I'll take relief to avoid rocks that will damage my club-unless of course playing in a contest.

I'm pretty sure the rules as of 2019 allow you remove rocks from the bunker. 

Cigarette butts in the divot sand--yup. So much information, too little smarts?

Wow, that's not an etiquette thing. That's like school on a Saturday... 78cb621bcb985e488e513f0c60deb5ea--vintage-cartoons-classic-cartoons.jpg.17610a231ca2918a0f8078d56b22f2cb.jpg

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Why? 

Is it really that bad? I can totally take it or leave it. I don't think it makes a bit of difference in how I perform. 

It's not that bad for me personally, and I play with some who play music (as long as it is not too loud). But I can see it being very focus disruptive for a lot of folks. It's a bit unfair to expect them to just get over it. I bet the people who play music with n and f words expect everyone to get over it too.  

• Like 1

Vishal S.

5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

It's not that bad for me personally, and I play with some who play music (as long as it is not too loud). But I can see it being very focus disruptive for a lot of folks. It's a bit unfair to expect them to just get over it. I bet the people who play music with n and f words expect everyone to get over it too.  

Yeah, you're probably right. Again, it doesn't bother me and I'm not offended by profanity. But it was pretty funny seeing all those little kids staring at the cart. ... Not the golfers mind you. Literally staring at the cart. Like "What are those words coming from that cart? ... I thought we weren't supposed to say those words?" Meanwhile the golf coach is trying to keep the attention of a dozen 8 year olds... Which can't be easy anyway. There were a few parents around the green watching the lesson, but I didn't think to look for what their reaction was. I'm guessing none too pleased. 

I think golf, like many sports is competing for mind share among the younger generation. Certainly younger than me anyway. So my guess is they are loosening some of the traditional etiquette norms. I know on this very forum we had a long discussion over whether or not you should be allowed to wear pants with elastic built into the cuffs. 

As time goes by society's rules change and evolve. I'm trying not to be "Get off my lawn" guy. Although, I will say sometimes I worry for the future. I was in the grocery store this weekend. Standing in front of the peanut butter. A young girl (12ish years old?) literally shoved me aside with her hip and took a jar from the shelf. The girl was only like 12 but probably outweighed me. Anyway, her mom was right there, and I tried to give the mom my best "Hey, no problem" smile. But the mom just gave me stink eye, like I was somehow in the wrong for being there. Then she and her daughter walked off with their peanut butter. (At risk of being "Back in my day" guy.) When I was 12 if I had shoved a stranger aside, my mom would have not only made me apologize to the person, but probably would have introduced me to the back of her hand as well. 

But I get it, times change. Social rules change. I try to roll with it as much as possible. (Although, I would have made either of my kids apologize, and there would have been some consequences as well.) I figure there's no point in getting mad. That just makes me tired and/or stressed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Opoponax said:

But the music thing I just can't tolerate. 

Why? 

Depends on what they’re playing and what your musical preferences are.

For example, I have no problem on the course with a well done performance of John Cage’s piece 4’33”

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Standing in front of the peanut butter. A young girl (12ish years old?) literally shoved me aside with her hip and took a jar from the shelf. The girl was only like 12 but probably outweighed me. Anyway, her mom was right there, and I tried to give the mom my best "Hey, no problem" smile. But the mom just gave me stink eye, like I was somehow in the wrong for being there. Then she and her daughter walked off with their peanut butter. (At risk of being "Back in my day" guy.) When I was 12 if I had shoved a stranger aside, my mom would have not only made me apologize to the person, but probably would have introduced me to the back of her hand as well. 

Chet, you should know better than to stand in between a 12-year old and her peanut butter jar.!!!!😜 😂

JK.. but I am going to say that's not necessarily recent or the norm at the grocery stores in my experience. I would be tempted to say a word to mom too. Probably wouldnt though. Instead shake my head vigorously to make a point and move on.  

Not giving up though.. I am sure regardless of how hopeless it feels, all these rude people, general disdain, melting polar ice caps and what have you, I think we will be alright.......ish. Heh.

All we can do is fix an extra ball mark or two and keep on keeping on..  😊  

Vishal S.

I don't think etiquette has gotten worse on an individual level. You've always had idiots who don't rake, fix ball marks, etc. I think the issue is that there are more people playing golf now. That means more wear and tear on the courses, It also means that are are more idiots out there, even if the ratio of idiots is roughly the same as it was prior to COVID.

I do think some areas of etiquette are improving. I haven't had much of an issue with music on the course recently. That's just me, but I think it's better than it was a few years ago. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: