IGNORED

Biggest jerk on the tour?

easygrip
Note: This thread is 847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

Oh, and I'll mention Bubba Watson as a possible jerk as well:

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2080975,00.html

There was a post a year or so a go by someone who saw Bubba making fun of Ernie Els on the Range.  Basically giving it to him because he wasnt hanging with the fans more.  Bubba seems to like the fame and spotlight that golf affords more than most.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

In response to John Daly being a jerk.  I was following him on a few holes at Torrey Pines one year during the Buick.  He was walking off the green after a hole to the next tee box and my buddy greeted him.  He responded with something along the lines of "Hey guys, its a beautiful day isn't it? ...enjoy the rest of the tournament."  This was during the Saturday of the Invitational, not a practice round.  Looking back I realize it was almost out of line for us to say anything to him but he seemed completely unfazed and welcomed us as fans.  Can't say he was a jerk at all.

Originally Posted by gjsuicide

In response to John Daly being a jerk.  I was following him on a few holes at Torrey Pines one year during the Buick.  He was walking off the green after a hole to the next tee box and my buddy greeted him.  He responded with something along the lines of "Hey guys, its a beautiful day isn't it? ...enjoy the rest of the tournament."  This was during the Saturday of the Invitational, not a practice round.  Looking back I realize it was almost out of line for us to say anything to him but he seemed completely unfazed and welcomed us as fans.  Can't say he was a jerk at all.

I've always thought of John as a nice guy. Obviously he had personal issues in his life but I've never seen him show any signs of being a jerk. Always seems nice.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Two incidents relayed to me by friends would indicate that Curtis Strange (no surprise) and Lee Trevino (surprise) are indeed major jerks.  I can't remember for sure the particular tournaments my golfing buddies were at to witness these things first hand, but I think it was Trevino at the BC Open back in the 70s and the Strange one at a US Open somewhere here in New York, possibly Rochester.  I know these guys very well and they don't just make stuff up.  The Trevino incident was witnessed by two of them attending a tournament together, so it's "corroborated".

Trevino was enraged by a 14 or 15 year old girl handling the scoreboard, who had put the wrong score up for him.  He walked up to the scoreboard and started yelling at her to change it and she dropped the number card, delaying the action.  He got more furious (like it really mattered, ya know?) and started screaming at everybody on the scoreboard, telling them to "Get her out of there!"  The girl started crying and climbed down, heading for the clubhouse.  Trevino stalked after her, screaming obscenities and, to put the icing on the cake, finally yelling, "You dumb little c**t!"  She left the area in tears while Trevino continued on to the next tee.  Despicable.

Strange, having just had a bad hole was walking along the ropes to the next tee.  A kid had a US Open hat he wanted autographed and was holding it through the ropes.  As he walked by, Curtis grabbed the hat and THREW IT INTO A MUD PUDDLE ON PURPOSE!  Major Ahole.

I saw Chi Chi in action at a Senior event in Syracuse about 20 or so years ago.  He was going into peroxisomes about an official's golf cart that was bothering him.  Maniacal, doing everything but hitting the official with his driver, screaming at the top of his lungs.  Jim Ferree was just shaking his head and laughing about it with the gallery?  "Whatcha gonna do?  He gets like that."  Total insanity, profanity flying everywhere.  I felt like I was watching baseball or something, with the manager screaming at the ump after a disputed call at first base right before being ejected from the game.  Don't often see THAT sort of action from a pro, let me tell you!  Never viewed Chi Chi the same again after that.  I mean -- there was NOTHING TO IT!  He had to wait maybe 15 seconds while the official trundled up the side of the fairway in a cart, delaying Chi Chi's tee shot.  Really earthshattering.  sheesh.  Maybe he forgot his meds that day, but I'm not cutting him ANY slack after what I saw.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I've heard there is an unwritten rule at CBS to only show Bubba Watson on t.v. when they have to.  They have become sick of his attitude which has been building up to what we have with him now. His press conference after his cut last weekend was the nice icing on the cake.

One guy I've spent some time with and would not spend an elevator ride with:  Stuart Appleby  (arrogant jerk)

Guys that have been super nice to me that I hear others say are jerks:  Phil, Vijay, Daly.    Super nice guys: Joe Ogilvie, Jason Gore, Paul Casey, Charlie Hoffman, Sean O'hair etc...  that list can go on and on.  I think the nice guys outweight the jerks by a lot.  But there are a lot of jerks.

Bubba Watson gets my vote too, hes a total jerk & I dont buy his fun-guy act one bit. The Paris episode is the icing on the cake from this idiot but the incident I remember most was the way he abused Steve Elkington for getting in his eyeline on the course - called him a f**ker amongst other things, it was totally out of order & completely classless, I'm not surprised TV networks avoid giving him airtime.

Originally Posted by HOT IRISH

Bubba Watson gets my vote too, hes a total jerk & I dont buy his fun-guy act one bit. The Paris episode is the icing on the cake ...

That really put me off, too.  Poor baby.  All those people taking pictures!  Had to be a nightmare!  No more European events at all!  Good idea.  Europe is a bit more civilized than Bubba, so he's definitely out of his element.  If he can't win the tournament, certainly no point in wasting his time THERE,eh?

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt

Originally Posted by laconic517

Youd be hard pressed to find any great athlete whos a good guy then.  Not saying they aren't out there, but they are few and far between.  Who wouldve believed all of the stuff about Tiger before it came out?  For all we know, any number of guys past, present, or future could be doing the same thing.  Its best not to judge these guys for their personal lives.

Haha, I've read some apologetic tripe in my time, but that takes the cake.

Originally Posted by Three Putt

On TV Rory seems to be a front runner, but he seems like a good guy in some articles I've read.

Great thing about PGA golf, we hardly ever read about a pro "making it rain" at a "skrip" club then busting some caps, or trying to run over the wife with a hummer, or covering up for the "boys" in a shooting, etc, etc, etc....

This is literally the most racist post I have ever read.

When have you ever read an article reffering to a proffesional athlete from any other sport busting caps, or running the wife over with a hummer?

I'm not sure if your subtle racism is an attempt at humor but what ever it is, it's not funny. Quite the opposite actually. It's rather offensive if you ask me.

And Id certainly rather have Vince Young getting in a scuffle at a Strip Bar or Mike Vick fighting dogs, than hearing about Robert Garrigus and other Nationwide tour members smoking Canabis in a portajohn at an event. Atleast Vince Young's atlercation was at a club far away from the eyes of children. There are kids and young adults alike at any given PGA tour event who easily could have saw or even smelled what the players were doing in the portajohns.

Literally the most racist post you have ever read?? I didn't see any racism at all in the above post

Do you know what racism is?

Originally Posted by domc36

This is literally the most racist post I have ever read.

When have you ever read an article reffering to a proffesional athlete from any other sport busting caps, or running the wife over with a hummer?

I'm not sure if your subtle racism is an attempt at humor but what ever it is, it's not funny. Quite the opposite actually. It's rather offensive if you ask me.

And Id certainly rather have Vince Young getting in a scuffle at a Strip Bar or Mike Vick fighting dogs, than hearing about Robert Garrigus and other Nationwide tour members smoking Canabis in a portajohn at an event. Atleast Vince Young's atlercation was at a club far away from the eyes of children. There are kids and young adults alike at any given PGA tour event who easily could have saw or even smelled what the players were doing in the portajohns.

• Upvote 1

Please do not play stupid in his defense. The post is clearly refering to black atheletes in other sports. He mentions terms like Busting caps, making it rain.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Literally the most racist post you have ever read?? I didn't see any racism at all in the above post

Do you know what racism is?

Sorry I guess I wasn't aware of the american slang, or whatever it is. I wasn't playing stupid. Simply never heard the phrases before. I just assumed he was saying how the PGA Tour never has major scandals like other sports have. Apologies again.

Originally Posted by domc36

Please do not play stupid in his defense. The post is clearly refering to black atheletes in other sports. He mentions terms like Busting caps, making it rain.

domc36 - Making an argument about tacit racism isn't going to get you anywhere on this board. Instead, folks will say "I don't see the racism in that post". It's kind of like saying, "20,000 people work at this company. There are no people of color. The only women that work here are secretaries. Our company isn't racist or sexist!" That doesn't describe everybody on the board, but it does describe those that would make and defend the kind of references to which you object.

BTW - I loved, in this thread, the "you never see this in hockey, only in basketball and football" line of argument. Very enlightened.

---

The thread itself - I don't know any of these guys personally. I can only identify the guys I'd like to play a round of golf with least . I'd say J.B. Holmes (pace of play, ridiculous actions on/around green), Tiger Woods (who wants to play with someone screaming the f-word every other minute and slamming clubs every hole) and Brinny Baird (I couldn't look at that ridiculous hat).

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

^^

I'd like to point out to the poster above that I didn't defend racism or anybody that makes racist comments. I merely misunderstood the post. I hope the people you talked about in your post didn't include me.

no, that post was not racist. the only way that post would have been racist is if all black people talked/acted like that. good thing we don't. that post is mocking a particular demographic which could be any race of people who fit that mold. i've met thugs of all ethnicities, it's just sad that so many of them are playing american sports.

• Upvote 2

I won't comment on the biggest jerk , but at the 2004 Senior Open some of the nicest guys are club pros who snagged a place and make the cut. These guys are thankful to be playing the weekend, and can make a nice $10K if they stay close to even par.

I walked a morning round Sunday with one such player, and he struck up a conversation with me on the front nine. He asked me about my golf game, and gave me a few tips on partial wedge shots. I was worried I was bothering him, but he was friendly all the way. The tournament program and other stuff are in offsite storage, so sorry, I can't remember his name.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow!  "Bustin' caps".  Never heard of it, so I looked it up.  Now I'm really confused.

Note: This thread is 847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!