IGNORED

what makes the ball doe this??

Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey Sandtrapers ,

I have a question about a shot have wanting to add to my bag. You this shot on tour all the time - players seem to hit from 10 yards on in. it's when they chip the ball with a medium trajectory and and it hops once or twice and then checks up and basically stops. my wedges are currently a 52 and 56 - does this shot require a 60* wedge?? I use nxt tours which a good amount of green side spin and my Mizuno mp-r 56 sand wedge is solid season old - so maybe its the club?? what do you guys think?? is more wrist action in the shot??

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

I have been wondering the same thing. I wonder if it is a matter of not striking the ball hard enough for fear of it flying over the green. There must be a way for you to strike down hard on the ball and accelerate through and still keep it low.

It doesnt seem like it would be your ball or your wedge you have listed they both seem able to do the job.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I'm not sure you see this from 10 yds, that's awfully close, maybe 20-25. IMO, it's not so much about the loft of the club as it is:

1) the ball: gotta be the right kind (3-piece? not up on my ball technology, just know it's a big factor). My gut says an NXT Tour probably doesn't fit the bill.

2) the contact: have to hit the ball first, no grass in between, sharply downward, firm acceleration

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

yea I do wonder though because they seem to strike the ball so hard that a
60 * degree wedge will allow you to do this with putting spin on it and not flying it too far

In my bag:

The last time I went out I just played the last 3 holes on my course's back nine and practiced trying to do something that even remotely resembled this shot. I was using a Nike SV tour 60 and a pro v1. I hit a couple of shots from about 30 yards out and struck down hard on the ball first with perfect contact and a mighty dollar bill divot too. Nada, it didn't hop and check. It didnt roll off the green but I couldnt get the sucker to spin back or hop check either. I am going to keep trying. You must have to hit the ball way harder then you think....?
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

You need a very shallow angle of attack and striking the ball first. The divot should come after, if there even is a divot.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

I think nxt tours are 3 piece balls - they spin a lot thats for sure

In my bag:

The last time I went out I just played the last 3 holes on my course's back nine and practiced trying to do something that even remotely resembled this shot. I was using a Nike SV tour 60 and a pro v1. I hit a couple of shots from about 30 yards out and struck down hard on the ball first with perfect contact and a mighty dollar bill divot too. Nada, it didn't hop and check. It didnt roll off the green but I couldnt get the sucker to spin back or hop check either. I am going to keep trying. You must have to hit the ball way harder then you think....?

so i do need a 60 degree for this type of shot??

In my bag:

No, a 56 or even a 52 will suffice. Just make sure the grooves are clean and you "pinch" the ball between the face of the club and the turf. Its not neccessarily a steep angle that does it. Whenever I want to hit this type of shot I just think of pinching the ball and catching it clean.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

so i do need a 60 degree for this type of shot??

No I dont think so. I wasnt trying to say that you needed a 60. It didnt work for my anyway. I think a 52 or 56 would actually work better....

In The Bag:

Just make sure the grooves are clean and you "pinch" the ball between the face of the club and the turf. Its not neccessarily a steep angle that does it. Whenever I want to hit this type of shot I just think of pinching the ball and catching it clean.

Like NM metioned you want to pinch the ball, not jab into the ground. I also recommend you keep the arms and club from rotating during the stroke. If the arms and club rotate open in the backswing you will loose spin, and have a higher chance of the club rotating closed on you on the way back. To keep the club from rotating on you feel like you keep the clubhead swinging outside the hands during the chipping motion.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

hey Sandtrapers ,

Think about what happens when you squeeze a table tennis ball and it shoots off and then comes back.

You couldn't do that on a fluffy surface. Your fairways have to be very tight and you have to have the confidence to hit it hard, and have the right ball. The ball has to be squeezed against the ground so that the club can apply the spin, along with pressure on the ground. You will not be able to do it off the kinds of lies that most of us prefer. When I have the kind of lie that makes it possible, I'm moe likely to opt for the Texas wedge for fear of chunking it. You'll get variou replies from players who claim to be able to "pull the string" from anywhere, but they're in the "290 down the middle consistently" playing off "about 25 but I've never checked" category

• Administrator
The ball has to be squeezed against the ground so that the club can apply the spin, along with pressure on the ground.

Let's be clear, though: the ball doesn't

actually get squeezed against the ground at all. Not one bit. The ball gets lifted immediately. The "pinch" methodology works because it encourages you to lead with your hands and hit down on the ball. Those things help to generate backspin. If you have a clean lie (i.e. no grass going to get between the ball and the clubface), you can hit the kind of shot described - a low, checking shot. It has nothing to do with how hard the fairway is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i am as clueless as you about that type of shot if you want to create more spin you should do this drill, take choke down about two feet on your wedge, this will cause you to have your hands leading the ball try swining wlike that for a couple minutes it will get you used to taking a divot infront of the ball.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

Here's how- high spin ball...no NXT tour is not high enough spin, try a multi-layered Urethane covered ball (ie $40 and up per doxen- ProV1, Z-URC, B330S, etc), left wrist must be flat or even arched through impact. The trick is to have enough acceleration and clubhead speed while still controlling distance. This means a short, accelerating, firm swin with a strong downcock through impact. You must catch the ball cleanly and make the low point of the swing a few inches past the ball. As you learn it, it's a dangerous shot. If you lose the angle of your left wrist, or add some trailing hand to flip or hoist it, you'll hit it too far and probably get into trouble. This shot is as hard to control as a flop shot for most players.

Honestly, I think most of us are much better off learning a medium speed chip that runs out, along with a host of way less dangerous shots.

It's not that hard to learn the high spin low chip. All you need to do is learn to control it by practicing like a tour pro, meaning a full time job.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Well I would try using a softer cover pro-v1, and a newer 60* wedge like a vokey SM, and then the technique is to trap the ball in between the ground and club and don't let it slide up the face too much.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

change your wedge, get your grooves done as often as the pros - each week some change wedges!

the sensation is almost like a thin, but not quite, any divot should be well after the ball and very shallow

got to accelerate hard and that takes a lot of confidence - so you need to practice it a lot if not just allow for the fact is going to roll!

k

with my cg14 i may pitch from just off green and get it to bounce 2-3 times then basically stop. i think clean contact, sharp grooves and soft ball(e.g pro v1) all con tribute to making it happen

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!