IGNORED

What Are Your 2023 Golf Goals?

iacas

34 minutes ago, Voltron1 said:

Thanks, but I meant I'm not quite sure what my yardages are. It's hard to tell at the range (at least for me) so I just focus on solid contact and trying to keep it straight. NOTE - I'm not a newbie, as I used to play regularly from age 14 -25. Then I moved out of state, got into other physical activities, and just lost all interest. Now I'm 48, and would love to get back into it and at least look respectable, but I simply haven't ever been able to put anything together since attempting to get back into it. 

Best as I can tell, PW is around 140 , 7i is about 200, 5i about 220, 3w about  250-275, I don't own a driver right now, but when I did it was about 300+ with solid contact. If I really crank one, it'll be over 350.  But I don't even own a driver anymore. If I break 95 at any point this year, I'll buy another one. 

I really don't know what the SW, AW/GW or any of those really carry. I just can't tell at the range. 

Distance will never be an issue for me, that's the extra frustrating part. I know how to compress the ball, and understand the concepts of the short game and everything, but when I actually get out there and try to play, it's a mess. I'm just lucky I haven't had to pay for any broken windows yet. 

Hopefully most of this is simply getting used to actually playing on a course again and knocking the rust off, but it's really not too confidence inspiring thus far. 

I'd highly recommend getting something like Shot Scope. 

LaunchPost-NewProducts_TwitterandFB-780x439.png.ad64c0177eee66b15fe0dfe777e59d28.png

Distances on the range are one thing.
Distances on a simulator are another thing.

Distances on the course are far more important and a product like Shot Scope will help you learn your distances and gaps quickly.

In addition it will also give you strokes gained information as well as a wealth of other stats. 

There's no subscription and you can get it for about 150 bucks on Amazon. I have the H4 and really like it. Other people have the V2 or V3 watch. They seem happy as well. 

Here's the TST thread on it.

Good luck and welcome back to the game of golf. 

• Thumbs Up 3

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'd highly recommend getting something like Shot Scope. 

LaunchPost-NewProducts_TwitterandFB-780x439.png.ad64c0177eee66b15fe0dfe777e59d28.png

Distances on the range are one thing.
Distances on a simulator are another thing.

Distances on the course are far more important and a product like Shot Scope will help you learn your distances and gaps quickly.

In addition it will also give you strokes gained information as well as a wealth of other stats. 

There's no subscription and you can get it for about 150 bucks on Amazon. I have the H4 and really like it. Other people have the V2 or V3 watch. They seem happy as well. 

Here's the TST thread on it.

Good luck and welcome back to the game of golf. 

I may need to look into some tech stuff after I at least get out there for a few rounds first. 

29 minutes ago, Voltron1 said:

I may need to look into some tech stuff after I at least get out there for a few rounds first. 

I got a cheapo usb laser optic range finder. I’m hoping that will help eventually although I make adjustments when I change balls that’s when I get fly overs and screaming FOUR !!!! From the top of my lungs 

Edited by rocket23
  • Thumbs Up 1

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

Ok I have alot specific goals each year that I constantly lower to always be moving in the right direction. 

Golf year of 2023 (last years performance - Based on 49 rounds) 

• Average score below 77.5 (78.5) without HCP
  • Average score on par 5 - below +0 (+0.23)
  • Average score on par 4 - below +0.40 (+0.31)
  • Average score on par 3 - below +0.25 (+0.38) 
  • Average puts per round 30 (31.9)
  • Gir  - 55% (53%) 
  • Fir - 63% (59%)
  • Rounds below 70 strokes (0)
  • Rounds below par - 3 (2) 
  • Rounds at par - 8 (5)
  • Eagles - 4 (1) 
  • Birdies - 11% (11%) 
  • Top 6 at club championship (8th place)
  • Win at least one competition (2)
  • Hcp 0.5 (1.4)

Making a run at qualifying for the Swedish H40 amateur national golf team. 
Driver: Titleist Tsi3 with Tour AD Di7x - FW: Titleist Tsi3 with Tour AD Iz7x - Hy: Titleist Tsi3 with KBS Tour prototype S
Irons; Mizuno Mp20 MMC with KBS c-taper - Vokey SM9 wedges (50/54/58),
Putter: Odessey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Ball: Stripe golf ball No.02

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't have any goals....other than to play pretty much every day (weather permitting), then go back to my office.  I'd like to become more consistent at ball striking, better at chipping/pitching, and especially better at putting....PARTICULARLY the 4 to 6 footers.

But, gotta be willing to spend many, many hours of practice time if you even have a CHANCE to improve.  And even if you do spend that time, it's no guarantee that you'll see substantial improvement.

I would dearly love to be better than I am, and continue to improve.  I hope that happens...but it probably won't.  If it doesn't, I'll still have fun being out there.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:59 AM, pganapathy said:

My main goal this year is improving my game and winning trophies in club tournaments.

Game improvement

The idea is to get my average score down from the mid 80's averages to low 80's or mid 70's.  I have only broken 80 once or twice so far.  The goal is between 75 and no more than 85 on any round, though I admit it might be difficult, especially when I have a bad day.  The average should be between 78 and 82 ideally.  Also, my handicap should reduce to ideally single digit.

Tournaments

I want to win a few tournaments and prizes, especially at my home club.  I already got the runner up spot in a tournament in January so to some extent this goal is achieved, though I want it to be a regular feature.

Forgot to add one more thing to the list earlier.

Inter-club tournaments

To represent my home club in an inter-club tournament and to win.

I did represent my club in a tournament last weekend, though we lost the event 13-11.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have an MRI done tomorrow on my left shoulder I just hope if there is a tear it's a minor one that wont take me out for long. I know I haven't posted for a while but I was loading a tool box in the back of my truck and I think I may have injured or tore my rotator cuff.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

On 12/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, TourSpoon said:
On 12/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, TourSpoon said:

1. Average 150+ ball speed and max over 155. I can hit 150 but am averaging high 140s. 

2. Handicap to high 3. I have fluctuated in the 4s and 5s this year but really want to have that be 3s and 4s. 

3. Average 10 greens a round. 

4. Scrambling at 50%. 

Revising #1 to average 155 and max at 160. I have been working on speed lately and I am now averaging 150s. The drill that has helped is feet together swings with dominant grip on - back and forth continuously with the speed sticks. Just a few sets with the green and blue have really helped lately. 

Update: I moved in Feb and am now set up in a golf community. I will be getting to work as the move and everything that comes with it has subsided. Its a dream come true to be able to take my cart 5 minutes down the path to get to the practice area. This summer, I plan to play a lot of golf. Anyway, an update: 

1. SS is consistently in the 103 range and ball speed at 150+. I haven't got to 155 consistently, but I am getting closer, I hope to get the SS to 105 and ball speed to correspond. 

2. Handicap is still at a solid 4.5, even with the new course being extremely tricky with raised green complexes. High 3s is in sight, but is going to take some work in category 3 and 4. 

3. I am averaging 8 greens per round, so I need to get to 9 before I get to 10. I am thinking 50% (9) would be a more realistic target. 

4. Scrambling is just at 33% (sand saves are 48%) so I have work to do. Scrambling is anytime I miss a green and still make par (or not) regardless if I had a shot for the green in regulation. I would venture to say that my up/down percentage is much better, but that's not how that stat works. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 3 weeks later...

Since I am just beginning to play on a regular basis again I had set a goal of breaking 90 before Summer's end.  I did that last Thursday and I did by sticking to the pre-shot routine the entire round.  For the record I finished the round in 3:45, apparently if you stay on grass more the pre-shot routine won't cause slow play, in fact just the opposite I suspect.

Next goal is to get my average Putts/hole less than 2.  I have been plagued with 3 or more 3 putts a round.  I once read an article by Arnie that said "if you want to improve you putting stats, improve your chipping/pitching game.  I am going to work on that.

Butch

• 2 weeks later...

Late to this, but the headline goal I’ve set for myself at the start of the year was to reach a handicap of 18 (dropping 8 shots). Even though we’re a fair way through the year…it still feels an achievable if “stretch” goal. How I’m going about it:

• practice something every day. Lessons, range time, short game practice, even the “5 minute challenge”. If it’s possible to do some practice, I’m going to do some practice.
  • drop 10lb (4kg), then maintain at 210lb/95kg. That’s still a little heavy but it means I’m in better shape to play golf. I walk every time I play and need to get cycling again. But diet is key to this.
  • play golf as often as I can. Try to learn something new about how to play golf during each round, including how to approach golfing scenarios. Im stringing together good passages of golf, I just need to maintain it.

The immediate focus is to minimise the impact of a blowup hole. Turning bogies into pars will come by just creating enough chances. But stopping triple-bogies from happening is the key to playing regular bogey-standard golf.

To get some clubs and actually take a shot at the game in real life.

Enjoy golf games since playing on the Megadrive about 25ish years ago but never played. This year ive been getting more active to shift some weight and take up Rugby next season, thought I'd give golf a try to aid in getting up and out more frequently.

Fortunately live 5min from Arbroath Golf Links and a short drive from Carnoustie Links

Mike in Scotland - Discovering golf one divot at a time

(Swing Thread)

8 minutes ago, IceMike said:

To get some clubs and actually take a shot at the game in real life.

Enjoy golf games since playing on the Megadrive about 25ish years ago but never played. This year ive been getting more active to shift some weight and take up Rugby next season, thought I'd give golf a try to aid in getting up and out more frequently.

Fortunately live 5min from Arbroath Golf Links and a short drive from Carnoustie Links

Welcome to The Sand Trap!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

Being my first ful year at golf and being serious about it I have two simple attainable goals.

1) Keep playing regularly.

How I plan to achieve this- I got a membership at my local course (they were running a special which helped a lot) to help push me to play more since I’m invested a little more. Also, some buddies and I have a little group tournament going. We keep track by an app. We have it scheduled out for a new golf course every month. This also lets us see new courses instead of playing the same conditions over and over.

2) Break 100 at least 3 consecutive rounds by the end of September 

How i plan to achieve this- Hey, you have to start somewhere right? I plan to keep playing often. Since I’ve been going to the course more consistently, my golf is getting more consistent. Since I started playing my scores have hung around 130ish. The last two weekends I seen a good improvement though. I went from a 128 one weekend to a 116 the next. It may seem small but I was very pleased with taking 12 strokes off. The goal now is to practice where I’m hurting the most. 60yds and in and putting. I’m working on my distance control and accuracy for short pitching and chipping. And I’d really like to go from 3 and 4 putting to 2 and 3 putting. I think if I can do those to things I’ll be there before I know it.

Maybe some silly simple goals to some, but I believe if you want to get better, you have to be honest with yourself on where you’re at and set goals you can actually achieve in a reasonable amount of time. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, TourSpoon said:

Update: I moved in Feb and am now set up in a golf community. I will be getting to work as the move and everything that comes with it has subsided. Its a dream come true to be able to take my cart 5 minutes down the path to get to the practice area. This summer, I plan to play a lot of golf. Anyway, an update: 

1. SS is consistently in the 103 range and ball speed at 150+. I haven't got to 155 consistently, but I am getting closer, I hope to get the SS to 105 and ball speed to correspond. 

2. Handicap is still at a solid 4.5, even with the new course being extremely tricky with raised green complexes. High 3s is in sight, but is going to take some work in category 3 and 4. 

3. I am averaging 8 greens per round, so I need to get to 9 before I get to 10. I am thinking 50% (9) would be a more realistic target. 

4. Scrambling is just at 33% (sand saves are 48%) so I have work to do. Scrambling is anytime I miss a green and still make par (or not) regardless if I had a shot for the green in regulation. I would venture to say that my up/down percentage is much better, but that's not how that stat works. 

Update: 

I just saw my guy in West Palm for a tune up. My backswing is better, with just a hair of cross the line. A shorter move would cure that, but its very manageable. The bigger issue is more about consistent path as I ranged from -4 to +2 with my longer clubs. I mean I was all over the place so I have some drills and work to do to sort that out and get more consistent.  Got some help in short game as well as I started picking the club outside the line and returning it inside with contact getting too close to the heel. Handicap just revised to 4.8 but I am getting to know the new course so much better. Its a tight Fazio track with  elevated greens that have plenty of false drop offs. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I didn't set any goals for the year...      But some things i've already done for the year

Broke 90!!!   

I had my first hole out ( ever ) this past weekend, during the Michigan/ohio/PA TST outing 

My driver has become a Positive in my golf game and not a negative, like i can actually get on the tee box with my driver and not wonder how far i will slice it lol.     

And Course Management especially when it's a course you've never played before 

• Thumbs Up 2

It is what it is

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, TourSpoon said:

Mid year check:

1. Went for a driver shaft fitting to see if I could improve on my ball speed and raise my ball flight. As I work on the speed sticks, ball speed with 3 wood is increasing more than driver and my driver shaft is pretty stout (heavy). Plus, my window has dropped from 90 feet to 75 feet over the last 18 months. My guy got me into a lighter X shaft (Tour AD HD 5X from the HC 6 model). Dispersion tightened up and swing speed reached 107 and 155 ball speed (105/153.5 average). That's about 3 more than the heavier shaft and a good 10 yards of carry (improved trajectory with a 95 foot window as well by bumping driver up 1*). Let's see how this does on the course. 

2. Handicap finally down to the season low of 4.2 as I learn the new course. 

3. Last 5 rounds averaged 47% in greens hit which is high 8s. 

4. Scrambling is still at 33% (last 5) and sandies at 50% so there is a marginal improvement. I have been working hard on my short game and while scrambling % is about the same, I know my up/downs are better (more one putt saves) but they only count in my stats program when they are for par. 

• Thumbs Up 1

More of a bucket list item. But our church is having a tourney at a prestigious private club in town. 
(the member fees are the gnp of a third world nation. ) but I get to savor 80 some odd swings on Monday:)

• Thumbs Up 1

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody!  Looong time since I have visited the site here.  For those that remember me, was starting to play again after many years because of a back injury that happened again.

Played first round yesterday since 2019 and was about what you would expect after that long a time off.  Erratic contact and distances with every club, but so happy to be pain free the next day.  

Goals for the rest of the year will be to play more and be pain free and get back to fairly consistent swing and contact.  

• Thumbs Up 2

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter