IGNORED

SI World Golf Rankings

phillyk

-All Tours get points

-at no-cut events top 75% get points

-only 12 months of events are counted, 100% of points earned from last 4 months, 70% of points earned 5-8 months ago, and 40% of points earned 9-12 months ago

-they will factor in their own strength of field; they want a strokes gained but it is not calculated for all tours, so they made a metric called DPS (distance per shot) (I’m not sure how they calculate these or how they use them)

This is their top 100. They said they will add more as time goes and try to update every Monday. 
BCA1357A-E5F2-42C6-A16B-C255A8166F64.jpegC66D8D3F-FA2B-49F9-B7DB-F40A410B6783.jpeg

From OWGR, this is their current ratings:

android-chrome-512x512.png?w=300&h=200&f

ELIGIBLE TOURS. OFFICIAL WORLD GOLF RANKING FOUNDERS. STAY IN TOUCH. © 2022 - OFFICIAL...

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am trying to figure out why strokes gained matters to them.  At the end of the day you placed in some position irrespective of whether you gained or lost strokes against the field in any category

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

42 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I am trying to figure out why strokes gained matters to them.  At the end of the day you placed in some position irrespective of whether you gained or lost strokes against the field in any category

I kinda thought the same thing. But then as I thought about it more. I guess they are looking for who's "playing the best" right now, more so than who's "winning the most" right now. To my dumb brain I assumed it was akin to QBR for football. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

50 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The OWGR uses a strokes gained metric for determining strength of field and I believe that determines the OWGR point allotment.

android-chrome-512x512.png?w=300&h=200&f

ELIGIBLE TOURS. OFFICIAL WORLD GOLF RANKING FOUNDERS. STAY IN TOUCH. © 2022 - OFFICIAL WORLD GOLF RANKING.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

What’s the point? Maybe I will just start my own ranking based on their clothing. The OWGR is official and part of the sport. It’s not like Vegas Odds or Quarterback rating. At least PPG offense and defense can affect seeding in playoffs. SI and ESPN tend to do these rankings for self promotion.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The OWGR is official and part of the sport.

Wasn't it just formed by the 4 majors as a way to determine who can/can't play in their tournaments? At one point OWGR wasn't a part of the sport either.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK there isn't anything stopping all 4 majors from coming together and choosing to utilize this SI World Golf Ranking instead of the OWGR as the determining factor for who can play their tournaments. Not that I think that would actually happen, but from my understanding it's not like they're contractually obligated to use OWGR as a system, right?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• iacas changed the title to SI World Golf Rankings
  • Administrator

SI has written a number of relatively neutral to pro-LIV type things… I wonder if they're on the take.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, iacas said:

SI has written a number of relatively neutral to pro-LIV type things… I wonder if they're on the take.

Or maybe some of their golf writers are friendly to the LIV players and Norman. I could see both happening.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave