IGNORED

My New Maverick

The Flush

I just bought my first non-used car in over 30 years, a 2023 Ford Maverick.

image.thumb.jpeg.4ebe5324642672d3945dd68ed8041508.jpeg

My first car, in 1983, was a 1970 Ford Maverick, but not quite this nice. It was orangish, but some of that was from the rust.  My sister drove that car before me and hit a parked car with it on the way to school one day.  The damage was never repaired.  It had three on the tree manual transmission. The shifter broke off in my hand one cold morning on my way to school because it was so hard to shift. But it beat walking.

I had been planning to wait until May 2024 to buy a new car because that is when my mortgage will be paid off. I also have had no clue what I wanted to buy. I have been driving a 2007 Ford Taurus with over 257,000 miles on it. I have been getting nervous about how much longer it will last. The COVID induced supply chain shocks and subsequent inflation made me think that I needed to develop a replacement plan for the Taurus since buying a car was not as easy as just walking onto a dealer lot and getting what you want as it used to be.

About a year ago I first learned about the new Maverick. I was particularly interested in the hybrid which gets a combined 37 MPG with many people reporting even better mileage. It was too late to order one by the time I even knew they existed. I had been learning about the Maverick at the Maverick Truck Club forums, so I knew when the order banks opened for the 2023 models, and I placed an order for a hybrid as soon as the order banks opened (9/15/2022).  So did everyone else in the country. A poll at MTC indicated about 70% of the new orders would be hybrids. Ford had already announced that only about 35% of production would be hybrids due to supply chain constraints with hybrid engines and batteries. Fearing I might not get my hybrid, I place a second order for a gas model on the very last day the order banks were open.  They sold out of planned production in only 1 week. 

So like many other people who place orders, I have been waiting for six months for my orders.  Many other people at MTC place orders back in 2021 for 2022 models that have not yet been built.  Getting scheduled for production is dependent on your dealer having allocations, which is based on past sales of Escapes, Bronco Sports, and Mavericks since the Maverick is so new. Past sales is somewhat dependent on the size of the dealer and the population area they serve. I live in a small town and my dealer on sold 20 Mavericks last year, and some of those didn't get built and had to be reordered as 2023 models. I have just about accepted that my hybrid order will not get built, but I assume my gas order should get built eventually since they have more production capacity for those than they have orders.

Most dealers sell these custom orders for MSRP, although some people at MTC report being asked for significant Additional Dealer Markup (ADM) or "mandatory" dealer added options that are pure profit for the dealer and of questionable value to the consumer. Some people have decided not to buy their custom ordered Mavericks due to the long wait and wanting/needing to buy something sooner or because they ordered it without having ever even seen one and then deciding it was not what they wanted. In this case almost all dealers are asking for $5-10K in ADM on these Mavericks. I had decided that I was willing to wait for my order for which I should only have to pay MSRP instead of paying the ADM to get one sooner. However, I did tell my salesman to let me know if he had any Mavericks that the customer decided not to buy because I would at least like to test drive one before my orders get built.

About 2 weeks ago my salesman texted me that he had a used 2022 Maverick that someone traded in for an F150. I told him I wanted to drive it and asked how much it was.  They were asking for $3k over the new MSRP. It sold before I even got a chance to drive it. It really wasn't what I wanted.  It was a gas XL model with about the only option added was a spray in bedliner. It might have been the same truck that was offered to me for $5K over MSRP last year, but I am not sure about that. The 2022 XL didn't have cruise control on which is something I want, although the 2023 XL does have it. A few days later he said he had a new Maverick that the customer might not buy. Again, I said please let me know if I can at least drive it.  I looked on their website and saw 2 Mavericks showing as in transit.  One was almost exactly the same as my Lariat hybrid order except in a different color and the other was a gas AWD XLT model that had more options on it than my gas FWD XLT order.

On Tuesday around lunch time my salesman texted that I could come drive the available Maverick. I replied I would be right there.  I did check their website again and realized it was probably the gas AWD XLT instead of the hybrid Lariat, but I figured it would be nice to at least drive one. I drove it and it met my expectations.  The Maverick is essentially a compact SUV with a truck bed instead of a hatchback. It shares some parts with the Escape and Bronco Sport. It is a FWD/AWD unibody design. In my case, it is a replacement for a Taurus, not an F150.  After driving it the salesman asked if I was interested in it. I asked how much and he said they would list it at $5K over MSRP, but that they would sell it to me as someone who had ordered one for only $3K over. I told him that I can't pay $3K over when it already has $3K in options that I didn't really care about (moon roof, black appearance package, and even the Hot Pepper Red paint cost extra). It also has AWD which I didn't order on my gas model, but at least I find value in that.

I was literally backing out of my parking spot when the salesman came out and offered it to me for $1500 ADM. A few weeks ago, on a warm day I discovered that the AC on my Taurus didn't work. I am not planning to spend any more money on that car. Last week I actually bypassed the AC pulley with a shorter belt to prevent the compressor from seizing up and shredding the belt and leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I was however dreading a summer without AC while waiting for my order to be built, especially knowing that others have had to wait over a year for their orders. I asked the salesman if they could do $1K ADM, he countered for $1300, and I said yes. However, the sales manager said they had to have the $1500 over.  I decided to accept that deal.

So now I own the truck pictured above and so far I am pleased with it.  I haven't bought gas yet to do a manual calculation, but the trip odo says I am getting about 26 MPG, which is the same as what my Taurus gets. It is not exactly what I wanted, but it looks great and I will be happy with it. I will be getting a spray in bedliner and a tonneau cover soon so I can leave my golf clubs (Maverik) in the bed securely. If my hybrid gets built, I might try to sell this one and still buy the hybrid. Or maybe even the gas one I ordered since it costs less than the one I bought. Caravana is still offering some people in some locations $5K over MSRP for slightly used Mavericks, which is part of the reason why some people predict they will be bankrupt soon.  If I could sell it for enough to cover the sales tax and more that I paid, it would make it easier to still buy one of my orders.

War Eagle!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Ha, I thought this was a misspelled Callaway driver at first. Didn't see what forum it was in… 😉

Congrats! New cars are fun.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 weeks later...

A month after buying the Maverick off the dealer lot that another customer ordered and chose not to buy, my hybrid order finally got scheduled for production in June.  I didn't think it would actually get built this year. Now I have to decide if I want the FWD hybrid (higher trim level and 37 mpg combined) more than the RWD non-hybrid (24 mpg combined but getting over 29 mpg on my rural highway commute) that I just bought. Purchase price is about the same.  I would have to decide how much of a hit I am willing to take on a trade-in or selling it myself since I already paid about $2500 in taxes on the one I already bought.

War Eagle!

7 minutes ago, The Flush said:

A month after buying the Maverick off the dealer lot that another customer ordered and chose not to buy, my hybrid order finally got scheduled for production in June.  I didn't think it would actually get built this year. Now I have to decide if I want the FWD hybrid (higher trim level and 37 mpg combined) more than the RWD non-hybrid (24 mpg combined but getting over 29 mpg on my rural highway commute) that I just bought. Purchase price is about the same.  I would have to decide how much of a hit I am willing to take on a trade-in or selling it myself since I already paid about $2500 in taxes on the one I already bought.

A friend got the Hybrid version a few months ago, after @ 9 month wait.  He loves hit and he claims 40 MPG but I know him and he drives like an old lady on Sunday.  I figure my mileage would be lower than his but 35-40MPG and no need to visit a charging station is appealing.  The thing I did not like about the Maverick Hybrid is the FWD.  I have had 4-Wheel/AWD for over 20 years and in Michigan I feel that is very important.  My concern with the FW Drive Maverick is that it is a lighter vehicle and in snow the FWD may not be to my liking.

Financially, you will take a hit but how much is hard to guess.  They can probably still sell it for a decent price and hopefully the MPG difference will help you gradually offset the loss if you opt for the Hybrid.  One problem you may have is that if you pass on the Hybrid you ordered they can offer it up to someone else at a premium price and get more from them then they would from you and thus may be less willing to work with you on getting out of the current truck. 

It is a very interesting situation and I look forward to learning what you do and how it plays out.

On 3/19/2023 at 6:37 PM, iacas said:

Ha, I thought this was a misspelled Callaway driver at first. Didn't see what forum it was in… 😉

I thought the same.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Any follow-up to this?  Curious if they help you out in any way or not.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

4 minutes ago, StuM said:

Any follow-up to this?  Curious if they help you out in any way or not.

The hybrid won't be built until the end of June with delivery sometime in July, so I haven't even talked to the dealer about it yet. My sister has expressed interest in buying one of the 2 trucks.  But nothing concrete. I plan to wait until first of June to worry about it. I actually have another non-hybrid FWD Maverick on order (a hedge against the hybrid not getting built) that has not been scheduled yet that I will let the dealer sell to someone else unless my sister would prefer that one or somehow my daughter gets a bigger raise than expected and can afford to buy it.

We usually get a bunch of 1 inch snowfalls here in southern Ohio.  Enough to be annoying, but rarely enough that FWD can't handle it. I used to have a 4WD Ranger and it was really needed maybe twice in the 100,000 miles that I owned it. If they built an AWD hybrid, I would have ordered that. But I don't think I really need AWD. I can always buy snow tires if I am really worried about it.  Ice is our biggest problem and not much helps with that. My sister lives in Denver so she could probably use the AWD more than me, but she would also benefit from the hybrid more than me since she does more city driving than I do (all rural roads with not much stop and go). She kinda just wants a small truck to replace a sedan. I am pleased with the 29 mpg real world mileage I am getting with the AWD, so I am torn between the 2 options.

War Eagle!

• 3 months later...

Sweet!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Nice

Stuart M.

On 3/19/2023 at 6:37 PM, iacas said:

Congrats! New cars are fun.

Same here. I expected to see this:

MAIN_WEB__28721.jpg

So far so good.  Did even better on my first commute to work, 50.5 mpg, but didn't take a picture.  Overall, it is telling me 40.5 mpg over the first 200 miles. I realize the real mileage could be a little lower, but I haven't had to buy gas yet in order to do a manual calculation.

image.thumb.jpeg.baffd1484cbccefa8c79eb50e98e248f.jpeg

War Eagle!

It's a great car. My friend has been driving it for six months and is very happy with it. He still only talks about it. Although you can understand him, he has been dreaming about this Ford for several years.