IGNORED

GolfPod 2.0 Tripod Discussion

@billchao and I received the GOLFPOD at Golf Evolution to try out and review as both of us film our swings and post often in the Member Swings section of The Sand Trap.

I’ve used several different types of camera and iPhone holders filming over the years including cheap ones, clip-ons that clip to your bag and even the stick in the ground type. I prefer tripods for their stability. I also like ones that can adjust for uneven surfaces. My driveway in MA has no level spot. You can spend hundreds on a professional tripod, but that’s more money than most of us want to spend. Golfers also want one small enough to fit into your bag.

The GOLFPOD is small, light and not too expensive with new 2.0 models at $69 and $86 with a special 25% off offer that is running for a few more day. Normal price is $90 and $115. The $69 version is similar to this model. The $86 has a magnetic smartphone and tablet holder. This review is of the original GOLFPOD.

The tripod comes in a small box which demonstrates its small folded up size.

RenderedContent-1CEA6F44-7B7F-44D2-9CCA-2A4480FA4677.jpeg

RenderedContent-EFC16BA3-2680-494A-A03D-BEB4426A56BC.jpeg

This version came with a smartphone holder and a larger tablet holder. There is also a Bluetooth remote.

RenderedContent-C22DBD97-67B0-488B-B8D6-13B538952059.jpeg

The shortest height is shown below. This could be used if you’re filming bunker shots where the lip is well above your feet.

RenderedContent-C0A257BB-7C3F-420A-AA37-D191DEBFE2AC.jpeg

Instructions.

RenderedContent-CDF459BE-623A-4EF2-B7F6-A2B0ED7ACBBF.jpeg

Normal hand height is shown here. The tubes extend by twisting counterclockwise from above. The manual suggests you fully extend then push the thinner tubes in to get to your preferred height. They include a small permanent marker for you to mark this position.

RenderedContent-5A083654-2C43-4E1F-B51A-1BEE5C6C5160.jpeg

Fully extended it is pretty tall. So it can be useful for things other than golf.

RenderedContent-3A62F2FE-FBDF-4C5B-8C41-E38FC1D5AB01.jpeg

Tablet holder and Bluetooth remote.

RenderedContent-23BB9022-D98F-4416-B021-5234F4D5A6B4.jpeg

This shows how you would set up for your swing. This is @billchao doing a GEARS lesson.

RenderedContent-D808833E-0C27-44D6-A823-7D9A7C8DB728.jpeg

My first impression is very positive. The GOLFPOD is light but sturdy. It unfolds easily and is quick to set up. Top is adjustable in two axis so you can level it if the feet aren’t on a level surface. It folds up quite small and can fit into the larger pockets of my golf bag. The smartphone holder and Bluetooth remote can fit in the bag as well. I filmed a few swings at Golf Evolution using it.

I will try the Bluetooth at some point and report back. I also want to put it on grass and very uneven surfaces to see its stability and ease of leveling the smartphone.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• boogielicious changed the title to Golfpod 2.0 Tripod Discussion

Initial glance and maybe @boogielicious can comment more, 

1. I am not a fan of the spring style phone holders for tripods. Maybe their version is better, but I had one where the phone would drop out all the time. 
2. It seems good only for flat ground? Many ranges are not flat, and if you can't adjust each leg separately then the tripod will be leaning. 
3. The cost seems pretty expensive for what you get. I think you can get a much sturdier tripod and phone attachment for equal to or less. 
4. It is nice that you can put the entire thing in your golf bag. So, the compact nature is a plus.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to GolfPod 2.0 Tripod Discussion
  • Administrator
9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

1. I am not a fan of the spring style phone holders for tripods. Maybe their version is better, but I had one where the phone would drop out all the time.

Phone isn't dropping out of this one.

2. It seems good only for flat ground? Many ranges are not flat, and if you can't adjust each leg separately then the tripod will be leaning.

You can adjust the angle of the phone holder. It's on a swivel.

4. It is nice that you can put the entire thing in your golf bag. So, the compact nature is a plus.

It's pretty small folded up, yeah.

Some extra pictures:

Size compared to some golf balls:

golfpod1.jpg

Size folded up without golf balls:

golfpod2.jpg

Size in hand:

golfpod3.jpg

Base of tripod is pretty stable:

golfpod4.jpg

I oriented my phone holder a bit more centrally than Scott did:

golfpod5.jpg

Here's a closer up look at the phone holder:

golfpod6.jpg

They say the best camera is the one you have with you… well, the best tripod may be the one that fits in your golf bag.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I haven’t spent as much time with mine as @boogielicious has but I think it’s pretty good. My current tripod and mount setup is a GorillaPod with a Square Jellyfish mount for the phone and it comes out to about the same price. That setup is pretty versatile for uneven ground but also more annoying to work with if you don’t have a surface to stand it on and have to wrap it around something to use it.

I will use the GolfPod for most of my filming when I practice at home which is 90% of my filming work.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

The GolfPod 2.0 is on sale at 25% off. No coupon code needed.

But after that ends, you can save 10% with THESANDTRAP10 or by visiting this URL: https://getgolfpod.com/discount/THESANDTRAP10.

This is not an affiliate link or anything — you just get to save 10% (or 25%) if you'd like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

3B7DF4B8-F3AD-48E6-911B-0F72D8A27A59.jpeg

88C286DF-1387-4AAF-B9B7-BB9F14E921C8.jpeg

It works pretty well on the uneven terrain of my messy yard. It’s hard to tell from the picture but the corner of the tile it’s on in the second picture is curled up almost 2” above the others.

I had to use the tablet mount for my phone due to the case being too thick for the phone mount, but the spring held it very securely. It was also easy to adjust the level on the phone.

My biggest issue with it is that I have a tendency to unlock the telescoping arm when I’m trying to turn it, which results in a section collapsing while I’m adjusting my frame. The mechanism works by rotating the arm clockwise to lock it and counterclockwise to unlock it. I would have liked it to be longer (taking more of a turn before unlocking) or less sensitive. I can pivot the tripod using the feet to avoid this problem but it’s slightly counterintuitive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 3 months later...

I was lucky enough to get to try this product as well. The first thing I'd like to say about The GolfPod is that I was surprised by its sturdiness. I'm a bit of a clutz and even after dropping it in the parking lot or at the range, there are no signs of anything being damaged or chipped. 

The second thing I like about it is the portability. As @iacas mentioned previously, a good tripod fits in your bag and that is certainly true. 

IMG_1295.thumb.JPG.729a0e4e2fae7d7e1a45408343b6cf8c.JPG

Picture of The GolfPod inside its traveling case. 

IMG_1297.thumb.JPG.920d04fb1f72ca2144ab3396ddde419e.JPG

The GolfPod setup for my height at home. 

IMG_1299.thumb.JPG.f7cdccbd9de020f757f4c6808044cdac.JPG

Phone in The GolfPod holder. (Ignore the old phone used haha)

The holder is one of the better ones that I have used in a tripod. It has a very firm grip on the phone and even when I tug on the phone to try and remove it has very good resistance. If you are on uneven surface, you can rotate the holder so you can keep your phone at the correct angle to film. 

IMG_1298.thumb.JPG.c7d7fb2d00730883320d37139fbadb1b.JPG

The last thing I wanted to highlight is the holder for the Bluetooth button. I think it's nice that there is a place to keep the button so you don't have to worry about losing it. I cannot speak about the functionality of the button as of yet, but having it on the tripod itself is a nice touch. 

Overall, The GolfPod is a tripod I would recommend to anyone who needs one. It's easy to set up and use while you work on your swing. My favorite thing about The GolfPod is how easy it is to keep around by putting it in your golf bag. Because of its size, I no longer have an excuse to not film my swing while I work on it. That is an excuse I often give myself haha. But definitely check out The GolfPod and you won't be disappointed if you do purchase one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This looks like a better version of the Live View LivePod tripod. I just ordered one with the MagSafe mount.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

i have enjoyed mine.  love that it folds up easily in my bag and i can get it out and film swing anytime quickly

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2