IGNORED

Play With 10 Mulligans

boil3rmak3r

I saw a YouTuber (Rick Shiels) post a video where he played a round using 10 mulligans.  I think his goal was to break 65.

In my area, we got about an inch of rain overnight, but the rain ended at 9:00 this morning.  No one I play with came out to the course because they were not letting carts out.  So, I decided to play solo and try the 10 mulligan thing (I can’t post a score playing solo, so who cares).  I was the first person on the course, so I had a wide open course.

Results?  I used 4 of my mulligans on makeable putts that I missed initially.  That gained me 3 strokes (I still missed one).  I used 1 mulligan on a par 3 tee shot, which probably saved me a shot as my initial shot was pulled and I would have been short-sided pitching over a bunker.  I parred the hole with my mulligan.  3 mulligans on drives (two of those were used on the same hole).  The last 2 mulligans were on approach shots.  I shot an even par 72.  Looking at the round, I’m guessing it would have been at least a 79 with no mulligans.  

Having an open course, it was kind of fun to do.  It also showed me that if I could just eliminate some bad shots, I could score well.  Kind of fun! 

Obviously, you couldn’t do this on a packed course, but I recommend trying it.

I’d probably use up half of them on the same tee 😉

But seriously I don’t think I’d shoot anything spectacular. Probably wouldn’t even be a PR.

• Funny 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would think that the place to use them would be on putts and anytime you go OB. 

The last time I played I only hit one ball OB. So a mulligan there would have saved 2 strokes. But otherwise, I'm not sure how much it would help my score. If I miss a "makable" putt. It would give me another chance at it. But I'm not sure I'd be %100 sure I'd make the second chance. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 hours ago, billchao said:

I’d probably use up half of them on the same tee 😉

But seriously I don’t think I’d shoot anything spectacular. Probably wouldn’t even be a PR.

You might be surprised.  Even par is one off of my personal best.  

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I would think that the place to use them would be on putts and anytime you go OB. 

The last time I played I only hit one ball OB. So a mulligan there would have saved 2 strokes. But otherwise, I'm not sure how much it would help my score. If I miss a "makable" putt. It would give me another chance at it. But I'm not sure I'd be %100 sure I'd make the second chance. 

I’m sure I could do this 10 rounds and have scores all over the place (anywhere from a 70 to an 80).  It is kind of about being lucky.  For example, on one par 5, I hit a good drive, had about 280 to the green, and proceeded to block a 3 wood lay-up into the trees right.  I would have had to punch out sideways from there.  I used a mulligan, hit the fairway, had 60 yds left to the flag, and birdied the hole.  I figure that was at least a 1 or 2 shot gain.

I know a lot of guys wouldn’t enjoy trying this because it’s “not real golf”, but to me it just felt good to see what could have been.

I mentally will walk through a round and count shots I might have made given another chance. 10 do overs seems like a lot. If I tried this “game” I might limit it to 4-5 mulligans.

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, boil3rmak3r said:

You might be surprised.  Even par is one off of my personal best.  

It’s not out of the realm of possibility but the odds are it wouldn’t be for me. I hit some putts today that I missed after I holed out and made them, so that’s three strokes right there. Lost a couple of balls, hit into two penalty areas, oh and I carded an 11 on the 5th hole. I don’t think ten mulligans would have been enough today.

It’s not like every mulligan averages out to a stroke saved. I won’t make every putt I attempt again and I’m fully capable of losing the ball twice in a row (which is why I tend to just play E-5 instead of hitting provisionals even though that puts me farther away from the hole than I would be on a good shot). But let’s say it does and I shoot 10 strokes lower today than I did, I’d still shoot 82 which is good for me but still four strokes shy of my personal best. 

Its just a bit of a thought exercise anyway since I’m unlikely to be in a situation to attempt it in the first place.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

19 hours ago, billchao said:

It’s not like every mulligan averages out to a stroke saved. I won’t make every putt I attempt again

I think this about sums it up. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 7/8/2023 at 8:57 PM, billchao said:

Its just a bit of a thought exercise anyway since I’m unlikely to be in a situation to attempt it in the first place.

Exactly.  It is really hard to have the opportunity to do this, but since we can’t post a score while playing solo, I thought it was a good exercise.  Kind of like when folks recommend playing from the most forward tees if you can, just to get the feel of scoring lower.  

The strategy is to use them were you are loosing the most SG shots.
OB (2 strokes) , water hazard (1 or 2 shots), unplayable (normally 1 shot). This are the most easy ones. 
Beside them, you can re-tee shots that make you to chip out (0.8 strokes), or hitting and approach shot shortsided that could be a lost between 0.5 to 1. Not hitting the green in a chip/pitch shot is always going to cost you from 0.5 to 1 stroke.
On the green 8 feet is 50% on tour, us mortals can have that % at about 6 feet. You could also re-putt from inside 6 feet. Of course definitevely re-put inside 3 or 4 feet where the % goes up to 80%/90%. 

Fun experiment, it shows you how much you can improve if you avoid the big misses. 

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

What’s a mulligan? 😝

You're probably more familiar with the version of the phrase they use in Scotland, "hitting three."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 3

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.