IGNORED

Rounds of Golf - Pick Three

iacas

Pick Three  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Pick three (3) and only three of the following for what you enjoy from a round of golf:

• Good conditions
    • Good architecture/use of the land
    • Good pace of play/flow
    • Good company (your group)
    • Good value ($)

Good Company, Pace of Play & Good conditions

I had a hard time narrowing to three & priority.  “Value” was easily last, not that I do not mind getting a good value but when I think of my “Memories” it never has to do with getting a good deal.  I really like good architecture and wanted to select that but since bad company, bad conditions & bad pace could make even a magnificent architecture a miserable round I dropped it.

The 3 selected are all equally important but I settled on Good Company as #1 since that can at least make slow pace & bad conditions a little tolerable.  Slow Pace is miserable to me and can ruin a round even on a great course.

for “Conditions” i am thinking only if the condition of the course, not weather.  If I play a poorly maintained course I will likely never return.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Difficult question - I went with good conditions, good architecture and good pace of play. I got to play at Merion 25 years ago and they had just punched the greens the day before we played. Still bugs me now, so I have to go with good conditions. I don't want to play in a field that someone has cut some greens on, so good architecture is important to me. And I hate slow play (less so now than I used to - public golf in the US means getting used to slow play). 

I viewed good company as not vital - it's definitely nice when that happens, but I'm also pretty happy with my own company, so I'll just keep my distance if I don't like them. Good value certainly helps, but I'd definitely pay more to play better designed and better conditioned courses, so again doesn't make the cut.

• 1 month later...

Condition/pace/group.

Golf is an expensive game, but I don't mind paying for it as long as those three things are in play. I do appreciate courses with classic architecture, and I have been lucky to play a lot of classic courses in the US and abroad, but I will play the local muni as long as it is good shape. 

Bill M

All of these dimensions have a line over which they overwhelm the others. Like, I wouldn't play an 8 hour round at the old course. In answering I assumed that all of them were in the not great to awesome range, with none in OMG this is horrible territory. Given that...

Condition/architecture/company

My main struggle was architecture versus pace. I made the call by thinking about the fact that I don't have any notable golf memories of blah courses with great pace. But I do have ones with excellent to world class architecture and some waits for fairways and greens to clear.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Conditions and pace of play make or break the round when grading it as being enjoyable. 
The Company makes it memorable.  Great company can also help make up for a less than desirable pace or set of conditions. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

16 hours ago, mdl said:

I wouldn't play an 8 hour round at the old course.

You're right, you wouldn't, you'd be removed from the course long before that.  I know its just an example, but of all the places I've played, that's one where the staff (along with the caddies) makes sure that you move along at a reasonable pace.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1. Good company - luckily I have a lot of people to play golf with and its not that hard to find. But nothing is worse than playing with bad company. 

2. Pace of play - This can really get me if its too slow. I don't necessarily rush, but an average 4some at my club can play their matches in 3:45-4:00. Occasionally we do 3somes in 3:30 or less, but the 4 hour mark makes for the pace not to be an issue especially at a resort course. 

3. Conditions - I like decent greens. I can accept some other places being unkept, but the greens really can make or break it for me. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

You're right, you wouldn't, you'd be removed from the course long before that.  I know its just an example, but of all the places I've played, that's one where the staff (along with the caddies) makes sure that you move along at a reasonable pace.

Ha. Well that's good to hear :-) I just meant, if pace of play were at 8 hours I wouldn't play even like a lifetime dream course like the old course!

3 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

1. Good company - luckily I have a lot of people to play golf with and its not that hard to find. But nothing is worse than playing with bad company. 

2. Pace of play - This can really get me if its too slow. I don't necessarily rush, but an average 4some at my club can play their matches in 3:45-4:00. Occasionally we do 3somes in 3:30 or less, but the 4 hour mark makes for the pace not to be an issue especially at a resort course. 

3. Conditions - I like decent greens. I can accept some other places being unkept, but the greens really can make or break it for me. 

Heartily agree on #3. I can have a great time with a lot of compromise on conditions off the green, but shitty greens ruin a round.

• Like 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1. Company is the most important to me, 

2. Pace of play is next, although I can live with a longer pace of play if the company is great.

3. Conditions are next

I'm a member at a Country Club, so true value is whatever is in the eye of the beholder. But being a member at a country club is a luxury.

Finally architecture I can do with or without, Royal New Kent, which so many people here love, I can't stand, same with Tobacco Road.  Weird holes, for the sake of weird holes, doesn't do it for me. 

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 1/5/2024 at 11:00 AM, jsgolfer said:

Finally architecture I can do with or without, Royal New Kent, which so many people here love, I can't stand, same with Tobacco Road.  Weird holes, for the sake of weird holes, doesn't do it for me. 

I'd argue weird holes for the sake of weird holes is bad architecture. So if anything this is evidence you do care about architecture 😁

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

6 hours ago, mdl said:

I'd argue weird holes for the sake of weird holes is bad architecture. So if anything this is evidence you do care about architecture 😁

I do like architecture, just not top 3, although would probably be 3b. 😎

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones