IGNORED

Rounds of Golf - Pick Three

iacas

Pick Three  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Pick three (3) and only three of the following for what you enjoy from a round of golf:

• Good conditions
    • Good architecture/use of the land
    • Good pace of play/flow
    • Good company (your group)
    • Good value ($)

• Administrator

You get to pick three (and only three) of the above as your most important things for a round of golf. What are you choosing and why?

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Rounds of Golf - Pick Three

It’s kind of hard to pick because my criteria can change depending on the circumstances.

For my regular play, I’ll go with good conditions/pace/group. I almost wanted to throw good value in there because my county courses are so good for the price but if I can’t get a tee time either early or with my regular group, I won’t play for the day so I know value isn’t Β at the top of my list.

If I’m traveling somewhere or driving a bit (like over an hour) then I’ll probably take architecture in my top three. Probably over pace.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I chose the pace of play, group, and conditions.Β  Β I don't mind paying $$Β  if the course is in good condition.Β  Β  We usually do find a good value.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

My first choice is good value. I don't mind spending money if the quality is there, and that goes not only for course conditions but the staff at the course. I like a good return on investment. As goofy as it may sound, its one of the reasons I like playing the Disney courses, woke or not, they provide excellent service, and the courses are usually in good shape. Second, is good company. Self explanatory. Third is course conditions. I picked that because I am not picky about the architecture, layout and design and pace of play is what it is. We have had threads about that. I think though, good company can make any of the other areas tolerable if they are lacking.Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Β :tmade:Β Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid.Β :ping:Β G410 FairwayΒ Β :titleist:Β 5-AWΒ Β :vokey:Β 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade:Β Spider Tour X putter

:snell:Β MTB Prime 3.0,Β :adidas:Β Tour360 22

I’m fortunate that value doesn’t change for me unless I’m traveling to a top course. Regarding the others, if I’m choosing to golf and one of my top reasons is pace, then I feel I’m golfing for the wrong reasons. I’d very much prefer it not get long, but it’s not a reason why I’d choose one course over another. Β I like a good layout, good company, and reasonable to good conditions.Β 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

I would say good conditions, pace of play, and value probably because thats what Im used to at my home course. Β It’s a course that is always in good condition, greens roll very true, the time of day i play I can walk nine in an hour and a half or a little more and rarely have to wait too long if at all.Β 
i also enjoy the company but play a good percentage of my golf alone and also enjoy that, so company not a requirement to enjoy it but does add to it.Β 
I enjoy when the layout is creative/scenic and am used to MA hilly/wooded courses but I’ve enjoy playing rounds at courses that are flat and open and otherwise β€œuninspiring”

Pace of play comes number one on that list.Β  I would like courses to be good value if possible.Β  Good course conditions would be preferable though not mandatory.Β  I am too much of a golf addict to not play because of course conditions, though I suppose there would be a limit when I wouldn't play, though I haven't yet found a course that bad.Β  Partly because all courses I play are maintained to a reasonable extent.Β  Architecture is really immaterial to me.Β  Good company is preferable though bad company wouldn't deter me from playing.Β  I can play with a bad group and not worry about them

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

6 hours ago, snapfade said:

As goofyΒ as it may sound, it’s one of the reasons I like playing the Disney courses,Β 

That’s very nice work btw…..

• Thumbs Up 1

Stevie T

Good architecture, good pace and good value are the three I went with. Β I love seeing the course designers use what the land offers and build the course to meet those contours. Β Pace of play as I love it when a round has a smooth flow and you can get into a rhythm. Β For me good value is not so much price alone but rather it’s a course that hits good consistent marks across the board on the other four criteria of this survey….has good bones, good maintenance, flows nicely and there’s good company in the group I’m playing with.

Ping G400 SFT 10degΒ  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I chose course architecture, pace of play and company. A good course layout with tough but fair holes in fun to play. I don’t like courses that cram holes in with no thought or just have illogical layouts. I recall the 9 blind shots in the first 9 holes at our outing two years ago.Β 

Pace of play is obvious. Nothing is worse than being behind sloths who are 300 out on a par 5 waiting for the green to clear who then spray the ball into the woods.

A group group makes for a fun round whether it’s friends or people I’ve just met. Β I’ve been lucky in that regard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I voted good conditions, good architecture, good company.

Good conditions and good architecture can allow a course to justify a higher price so where I still feel like I'm getting good value if it's in great condition and fun holes.

I do play relatively quickly, and my normal 4some plays in around 3:45 when we aren't waiting, so I was inclined to say pace of play, but if I had to choose playing slow but being with friends or playing normal pace with strangers I'd choose playing with friends more often than not.Β 

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

Good pace/flow. Because the reverse can ruin the fun out of the round.

Good company. Because it can smooth out other negatives to a great extent. I seek out good company and will travel great lengths (literally) to play with people I enjoy being around.

Good value. Most times it means generally acceptable/good conditions and layout as well. For eg. you are not paying $150 for a round and consider it good value unless these are high positives.Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Group (company), pace/flow, and conditions, in that order are top three for me.

I like interesting course architecture, but that is something that requires more planning and travel so it only happens every few months.

Value is not something I prioritize when it comes to my hobbies/interests, and I am thankful that I don't have to right now...could change if/when my kids go to college.

Β 

-Peter

• :titleist:Β TSR2
  • :callaway:Β Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg:Β GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon:Β ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:Β  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Hmm... I don't fit well into these boxes.

It may sound selfish, but one of the major things for me to really really enjoy my round is if I play well. Or at least well relative to how I've been playing lately. If I play well, I always have fun. If I don't play well I usually have fun, but not as much fun as if I played well.Β 

Of the things you listed I think good company for me is number one. But I also can enjoy playing alone.Β 

I also chose good conditions. But really that too can vary widely. Pretty much as long as it's not "Bad Conditions" I'm pretty much okay.Β 

So, since I have to pick a third thing I guess I'll chose pace of play. I generally play fast. But again, I am really tolerant of slow play. Unless it's REALLY slow I usually have no problems with it.Β 

I think the way I'd phrase it is that I nearly always have fun playing golf and I nearly always enjoy myself. If I play well it makes it MORE fun, similarly if the conditions are good and the pace of play is quick, in those cases it just makes it MORE enjoyable.Β 

Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

1. Pace
  2. Company
  3. Architecture

Pace is the most important to me. I hate those long rounds, and I'm generally on a time crunch with family stuff, so I need to be done reasonably fast. I enjoy playing with the right people. Bad company can definitely spoil the round. I was between architecture and value with my last choice. I went with architecture because I don't think there are many courses around me that are great value. There are certain courses I go to more because I like the layout better, so I went with that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

• Pace of play. I’m terrible about dealing with slow play. I could get irritated playing ANGC if I was behind slow players.
  • Good company. I don’t mind playing alone, but playing with a good group can make an otherwise shitty day enjoyable.
  • Architecture. I’d rather have some patchy areas and poor ground if the layout is interesting than a pristine but flat and boring track.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Β Good value ($) seems like a combination of good conditions, good architecture/use of the land, good pace of play/flow, and price.Β  There is a difference between value and price in my mind.

I chose good value as a surrogate for low price. But there is a limit to it. I am usually play the only course in my county and it kinda sucks. I would pay more for something with better conditions. I don't know that it is a good value, but I just don't feel like driving further very often.

I also chose pace of play and good company. Those are reflections of the experience not the golf course. I can have a good experience on a not very nice golf course.

Β 

Β 

War Eagle!

A really good topic, and I see a wide variety of answers.Β  For me, conditioning, architecture, and good company are most important.Β  If I'm with friends, on an interesting course, I can put up with less-than-ideal pace.Β  That leaves value or conditioning, and I love to play a course in great shape.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.