IGNORED

Golf Is Becoming Too Much Like Other Sports?

iacas

Golf is Becoming Too Much Like Other Sports  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with the article? No fence-sitting — pick one. 😀

• I agree with the article for the most part.
    • I disagree with the article for the most part.

12 hours ago, StuM said:

Still, I do not intentionally hit into them and have not seen others do it.

Almost never. I can think of exactly once. 

Playing as a single on a glacially-slow day, I joined up with the three-some in front of me. One of the guys was one hell of a player but a high-strung sort and the group immediately in front of us wasn't helping. We were on a short par four and waiting on them while they were lollygagging in the fairway about 200 yards out. Guy launches one 300-plus yards over their heads. I'm sure they didn't see it, but they probably heard it. 

Maybe the guy was sure enough in his abilities that he wasn't really going to put them in danger, but it shook me up a bit to watch that. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I’m at a loss for words….

Chaos marred the third round of the Waste Management Open in Phoenix as the gates were shut...

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Stupidity.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Probably a common scene at a LIV event. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

5 hours ago, StuM said:

I’m at a loss for words….

Chaos marred the third round of the Waste Management Open in Phoenix as the gates were shut...

It’s a beast of their own creation. What do the players think of the atmosphere? I would not enjoy playing there. Although if I was a multi millionaire golfer on the PGA tour I expect I could put up with it quite happily

Stevie T

I went back and read the article a second time. The article seemed to mainly focus on celebrations after one did something unusually well. The writer did not like the trend of players "shooting arrows" and overly celebrating success. The article seemed less an indictment of overall on course behaviour and more about celebrating.

Since the start of the pandemic in 2020, many new players have flocked to golf. Many of these new players are not well versed in the myriad of unwritten "rules" that guide our actions on the course. Some may know the proper approach and choose to ignore it. My hope is many of these new players will learn the ropes and become better on course citizens over time.

Are there more selfish, impolite or ignorant golfers today than 30 or 50 years ago? Maybe, but we have always had our fair share of buttheads, both on the course and in society at large.

Circling back to the idea that celebrations in golf are becoming too much like other sports, I do not share the concern of the writer. I have yet to see a group of golfers engage in a choreographed dance.

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Like 1

Brian Kuehn

I agree both the kids and the parents in youth sports can be really toxic. In some ways the toxicity has just changed, but honestly I'd say if anything it's better than when I was a kid, at least in the limited sample I see (I'm not like going to youth games in lots of sports and different ages all over the country 😆).

A lot of this article strikes me as the legacy of class condescension with some racial elements that is strong in golf. For historical reasons golf ended up as the rich WASP elite sport in the US for a ~century. I myself don't relish trash talk or machismo in sports, either as a spectator or when I played (baseball through college). So I appreciate some of the legacy of decorum (while finding some it of backwards and stuffy). But historical accident doesn't make repressed, passive aggressive WASP culture the "correct" one for golf. Before featheries made balls only affordable for elites it was the Scottish backwoods shepherd's sport after all!

Edited by mdl

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚