IGNORED

Driver Off the Deck?

retoid

14 hours ago, billchao said:

I can't hit driver off the deck, but I'm certainly capable of hitting any shot 😜

Every time you step up to the ball?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Every time you step up to the ball?

Like a box of chocolates.

• Funny 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

At least with DOTD I don’t have to worry about a shank. Well, not as much at least.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'm not a fan of hitting driver off the deck as too many things can go wrong.  In addition to requiring a perfect lie, and making perfect contact I worry too much about breaking the shaft (in the middle of a round) doing something it wasn't designed for.  Plus, I can hit my 3-wood almost as far, and with much more control

But a friend of mine (he's now deceased--COVID) was my partner in a 2-man, 2-day scramble tournament.  He was the A player in our group.  I hit a good drive on a par 5, but that left us with about 250 to the green, with a pond guarding the front of the green.  I safely hit a layup to the left, and he hit a driver off the deck, skipping the ball on the water then up to the green,  The crazy thing is he called his shot before he hit it, and did it BOTH DAYS!

Luis

On 7/31/2024 at 2:35 PM, p1n9183 said:

I used to do it until a decade ago when I was playing a Driver from 1999. head was smaller so it was a lot easier. Today I play the IA smoke Driver lowered to 6° loft.. is almost impossible to hit of the deck. 

Remembering this thread, this weekend I faced a second shot on a par 5. 15 miles wind in the face with OB to the right. I hit a low DoD fade that carried almost 200 and roles 20 more yards (heavy rains the the before so 20 yards was a LOT). Lie was firm but I hit it perfectly and it barely reached an apex of 15/20 feet at most. A lot of things can go wrong with this shot.. but it could be an alternative if a long low fade is required and I can give it enough time to practice it. 

Driver off the deck used to be way easier 25 years ago when driver heads were less than 250 cc.  

John

• 3 weeks later...

Attempted a driver off the deck for the first time in years last week.  Resulted in embedding the ball right under the lip of a fairway bunker and a triple.  Probably be years again till next try.