IGNORED

Mulligans

iacas
Note: This thread is 5802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you take a mulligan?

• Every round
    • Only in practice rounds
    • If I hit a real stinker!
    • Never

No mulligans here. But I play a lot of practice rounds solo, so sometimes I'll play two or three shots here and there. But no mulligans during actual rounds.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take mulligans only when I'm practicing alone and there's no one behind me.
I used to get very frustrated when I was playing really bad until I read an article called "Happy Golf". Most people say you have to practice as if you were in a real competition. I think that absolutely wrong (for me). When you do that you always put pressure on yourself and can't enjoy the game (at least I can't ... don't like pressure). Happy Golf is all about enjoying the game. If you got a bad shot, no worries, just take a mulligan and chances are your next shot will be just fine. Hakuna matata It works for me. I'm having much more fun. And I know, it's true that I'm not used to playing under pressure that way, but I don't care. Really, I'm not focused on lowering my handicap (doesn't mean that I don't want to) I just want to enjoy the game.
When I'm playing with others however I play 200% by the rules and I just deal with the pressure

Don't worry be happy ,-)

KN

Gear
Driver: G10 10,5° - regular flex
3-Wood: Burner Steel 15°
Hybrids: Benross V5 Escape 20°/3, 23°/4
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

My feeling is that if you never play those bad shots, then you never learn to recover from them, and it's more difficult to actually improve your game. In my opinion, playing those bad shots teaches you 2 things: You learn to play from all sorts of odd places, and you are inspired to learn to play better so you don't end up in those places so often.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never take a Mulligan.

But if I am playing a twilight round, not really keeping score, definitely not posting the score, then I am not against hitting a practice shot or two. I don't consider that a mulligan, that's a practice shot.

If you are playing a match and you hit a roller or blow one into the woods, do you get a "do over"? Of course not, your opponent is not going to let you off the hook. Good reason why I like playing matches, the existence of an opponent keeps everything legit and forces one to concentrate on grinding out the hole.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Only on the first tee, first drive. Does that count? hehe

That is actually a "Breakfast Ball" and differs from a "Mulligan". The occassional breakfast ball will get the approval in our groups. If somebody who is a good player shows up after an hour+ trip to the course, runs off the subway/bus/cab to the first tee, and hits a shot that we've never seen before, it is only right to offer the breakfast ball. At the very least it lets him calm down and gives him a warm up shot.

If we've bee at the range beforehand, or had time to loosen up a bit, the breakfast ball is less likely to be offered. I was reading Feinstein's book Open , when Tiger played his practice round at Bethpage with O'Meara they just showed up at the course from their flight and didn't warm up at all. This wasn't the round the week of the tourney when the pros take tons of shots, this was a round when they each played one ball in a match to get to know the course a month before the tourney. Each took two tee shots on the first hole as they didn't have time to warm up. If that is acceptable for Tiger and O'Meara, then I don't have a problem offering it up if a playing partner has had to rush to get to the tee on time.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Wednesday... HOLY CRAP! I shortsided myself on a par 3 171 yards... so I tee up another and hit it perfect. I knew I pured it so I bend down to grab the tee, look up and it's headed right at the HOLE. Lands 6 feet short rolls dead at the pin, HITS the PIN and stops about a foot.

NEVER take a practice shot on a Par 3!!! For this exact reason. If you really want another look at that shot, then move the ball off the tee and take if from the fairway or another portion of the tee box.

What's in the bag

If I play a "practice round" by myself, I'll hit some shots over. I always take the score on the first ball.
If I am playing with anyone else, under any conditions, I won't hit a shot over.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I'm slightly confused, i often when practising, hit a poor shot and will play another to try and correct the fault but i will still play the first ball and pick up the second, im not sure whether thats a mulligan or not.

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

If there is no range at the course and on the first tee if i hit a bad one i will take one,but thats rare.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

i do a system of only one per 9 holes, one for the front nine one for the back. Though i try my best not to use it

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

only presidents should be allowed to take mulligans

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

If my course is realy slow that day and I hit a bad shot, I will take another try at it. But I will continue playing my first ball. Its not a true score if you use mulligans.

Driver- launcher 460 9.5
Irons- 7a knock offs
putter- Scotty cameron futura
ball- Prov 1x

If my course is realy slow that day and I hit a bad shot, I will take another try at it. But I will continue playing my first ball. Its not a true score if you use mulligans.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's not a "true" score under the rules if you play a second ball, whether you use it for a mulligan or not. The Rules of Golf view that as

practice , and it's not allowed during a stipulated round. During a round you are only allowed to practice chipping and putting between holes, on the green you just finished or on the next teeing ground, and only as long as you don't delay play by doing so. If you have a ball in play on a hole, no such practice is allowed.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

im with iacas, i cant remember the last time i took a mulligan

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

i guarentee a lot of people are lying......if i'm playing with friends, i'll take 1, but im weird, i take them on shots that are just off the fairway, not OB or hazard shots.......i make my posts as accurate as possible.....if i take a mulligan, and then play really well, ill add one or two to my score

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

i Guarentee A Lot Of People Are Lying......

+1..

:-d

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Note: This thread is 5802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!