IGNORED

Any tips on following ball flight, locating ball?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 5850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe my eyesight is getting worse from looking at monitors and tvs so much, but I always tend to have problems spotting the golf ball, especially on drives off the tee (no, I do not hit 330 yard drives). Mostly I lose sight of the ball when it sails into a bright sky or landing. When is someone going to make a universal RFID for all golf balls?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unless you are playing alone, your partners should help out with that (as you should for them). I think it's just courteous and it helps with pace of play to cut down on hunting balls. If they don't voluntarily do it, maybe you could ask "Can you guys spot me?" Whenever anyone in our foursome tees off, the other 3 are watching the ball. We very rarely have a "lost" ball.

I'm no opthamologist, but I've always heard that your peripheral vision is best at picking up motion. So I would recommend the following: hit the shot, see where the ball is going in general, check to see if there is a specific spin (draw, fade), and then just look at the general area where you would expect it to land. Don't try and specifically follow the ball, but just let your eyes gaze at the 30+-yard swath of ground where you expect the ball to land. Trust your periph vision to pick up the movement of the ball as it strikes the ground. Focus on that spot and mark it in your mind. Pick up your bag and go hit your 2nd shot.

FYI...I have really good vision, 20/10 and a tinge farsighted. I generally track all of the balls in my group and call them down. But I am a complete moron when it comes to actually remembering where I hit my shot! (So don't think that great vision alone is the answer.) I'm always walking up and down the course looking for my ball...I wouldn't include me in your group if you are totally committed to playing a round in 3.5 hours;)

Good luck, hope this helps somewhat.

Rob

From wikipedia -
Peripheral vision is weaker in humans, compared with other animals, especially at distinguishing color and shape. This is because the density of receptor cells on the retina is greatest at the center and lowest at the edges (see visual system for an explanation of these concepts). In addition, there are two types of receptor cells, rod cells and cone cells; rod cells are unable to distinguish color and are predominant at the periphery, while cone cells are concentrated mostly in the center of the retina (the macula).

Peripheral vision is good at detecting motion (a feature of rod cells), and is relatively strong at night or in the dark, when the lack of color cues and lighting makes cone cells far less useful. This makes it useful for avoiding predators, who tend to hunt at night and may attack unexpectedly.

I don't know how this fits into the rules, but check out this:

Wow this is really cool! I mean you have to use their proprietary golf balls but a great idea. If they could sell that technology and have other ball manufacturers incorporate the chips into balls from other companies I think they would have a huge hit! You could then buy balls with chips in them or no chips.

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Another ball locating option:

I would have to see that thing in action. I dont see how that could work...

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I would definitely get your eyes checked out. I was having similar trouble seeing the ball last season. I got my eyes checked and my right eye couldn't see at far distances for crap. Basically my left eye was doing all of the work at long distances, making it that much harder to see the ball.

I now wear a disposable (wear it once and chuck it) contact lens in my right eye when I play, and I can see the ball much better.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm going to try using my peripheral vision to spot the ball. That was an interesting read.

Those search gadgets look nifty and effective, but I think we have the means to mass produce cheap RFID chips, put them in any make ball, and sell affordable locators as well.

Whoever figures out how to do this is going to make a bundle of money.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Scratch that idea.

Ball manufacturers will lose money because people will buy fewer balls. Not to mention the cottage industry dependent on used balls. They'd probably nix the idea.

Let's say an RFID chip costs 50 cents. Changing the manufacturing process to put the chips in will add 50 cents a ball. So a dozen balls will cost $12 more. I know nothing about ball making, so my numbers might be competely off. Let's say a locator costs $50.

I would definitely pay for Pro VI's, $45 + $12 premium, plus the locator, knowing that I won't lose these expensive balls, unless I dunk one in the water or in some irretrievable place or a back yard OB.

Even if the USGA and Royal Ancient whatever bans the technology, it's still practical enough that the masses will buy into it.

I rarely loose balls playing on my "home" courses - Bethpage, but playing in unfamiliar courses, with water and houses and thick heather, that is where I'd use them.

So I'd still buy "regular" balls for one purpose, RFID balls for another.

Perhaps the ball manufacturer's can keep regular ball sales intact by premium pricing the searchable balls. That's price fixing though.

Just random thoughts.

Steve

Note: This thread is 5850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!