IGNORED

Hogan and Sorenstam

iacas
Note: This thread is 5867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who has had the better career to date: Annika or Hogan?

• Ben Hogan (64 wins, 9 majors)
    • Annika Sorenstam (64 wins, 9 majors)
    • It's a dead heat.

• Administrator
I'm siding with Hogan. He overcame better players (relative to his era), a near-fatal car crash, and certain restrictions, scheduling issues, etc. that prevented him from competing in several majors (he won the only British Open he attended, I believe, and didn't play in several PGAs though he was eligible).

I realize the question is in the past tense, and I realize Annika has a lot of her career left. But at this point, I'm asking you to say who you think has had the best career. Annika, most likely, will surpass Ben in my mind, but right now, I'm going with the Wee Ice Mon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In terms of what he had to overcome, Hogan takes the cake. I think that Sorenstam's dominance is a factor to consider though. She has the ability to take her competition apart, piece by piece. Didn't she win by 7 strokes last weekend?

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

In '53, Hogan won the Masters, the U.S. Open and the British Open (Erik is correct in that it's the only British Open he ever competed in). The PGA conflicted with the British Open that year which prevented him from competing in that tournament as well. (He won six of the seven PGA events he competed in that year. Not bad for a man who had to soak in a hot bath and completely wrap his legs, complete with support stockings, in order to even walk out on the course.)

Monday and Tuesday qualifiers of 36-hole match play prior to the tournaments... 36-hole final rounds...

Annika will surpass Ben Hogan's record as some already have. She's a tremendous talent with a work ethic to match. But, there will never be another Hogan...

Rick

Nor will there ever be another Annika. She took the women's game to a level even Nancy Lopez couldn't take it to.

This is honestly not comparable. The two are from completely different eras, different equipment, different courses, etc.

Ben Hogan is one of my favorite legendary golfers, but I honestly couldn't tell you many of his accomplishments.

In the end, I just don't see how Annika will have under 15 major championships. She is well on her way to 15 or more the way I see it.

If I had to pick, I would go with Annika, but it's just too tough to really break down.

Hogan.

Like Cody said, it is hard to compare them, but Ben overcame so much during his career that I have to side with him. That being said, Annika will probably go down as one of, if not the greatest woman golfer. Both are great in their own right, but Hogan has the edge for now.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Hogan. He was competing against the best golfers in the world. All due respect to the LPGA tour, they're not the best golfers in the world.

I agree. Plus, the clubs were a heck of alot different. Ben Hogan for sure. Annika won't be able to beat Jack Nickalus if they were to match.
What's in the Bag?
Driver:Nike NDS Ti with MFS 40+ Shaft.
3 wood and 5 wood: Tommy Armour 845 Hot Scott.
Irons (3-PW) Nicklaus IronMax JNS
Wedges: Vokey 200 Series 52 degrees. Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreesPutter: TaylorMade Rossa Modena 8.Ball: Ben Hogan The Hawk.

• Administrator
Like Cody said, it is hard to compare them

That's what makes these comparisons so much fun.

but Ben overcame so much during his career that I have to side with him. That being said, Annika will probably go down as one of, if not

She actually has a long way to go, and people forget that she may retire in three or four years. The "kids" on Tour are giving her a run for her money (or they should in the next year or two).

Her divorce may keep her out there a little longer. She was talking of not playing much after THIS year and having a family, but that's obviously out the door at this point. She has 50 some wins, and Whitworth has 88. That's a long way to go, and until Annika at least gets to about 85 (or 15 majors and 75+ wins), I'm gonna give Whitworth the "win" in the "Greatest Female Evar!" category.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The LPGA women aren't the best players in the world? Give me a break. Because Hogan was a man and played against men, he is better? Annika is arguably the best ever on the LPGA tour - right? If you don't consider her the "best ever," you certainly MUST consider her the best in her era - hands down. Hogan was the best in his era? Perhaps, there is certainly a very strong argument to support that. Was Hogan the best ever on the PGA tour? Most consider Jack to be the "best ever."

So you're going to take all of Annika's accomplishments and water then down because they were accomplished against women, and women aren't the best in the world at their sport? Jeez. Gimme me a break dude.

I'm not trying to say that Annika's accomplishments are better than Hogan's, but for heaven's sake, don't rule her out because she competed against women. That's stupid. She is a woman.
R7 Quad 9.5*
Cleveland Launcher 13*
Cleveland Launcher 15*
Ben Hogan C455 21*
MP-33 PW-4 iron MP Series 56* & 60*Corza MonzaProV1

• Administrator
The LPGA women aren't the best players in the world?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... but if you're not, I'm going to say that no, they're not the best players. They're the best female players, naturally, but not the best players.

Give me a break. Because Hogan was a man and played against men, he is better?

I don't think anyone's said that. But Hogan did compete for several years against what I would call stiffer competition than Annika has had, and stiffer on their respective levels. I'll take Byron Nelson over, who, Karrie Webb? any day of the week.

Annika is arguably the best ever on the LPGA tour - right?

She's got a long way to go to catch Kathy Whitworth in my book. "Arguably," sure, but I consider it a weak argument.

If you don't consider her the "best ever," you certainly MUST consider her the best in her era - hands down.

Obviously, but what woman has stepped up to challenge her? Again, Karrie Webb? For a year or so?

Hogan was the best in his era? Perhaps, there is certainly a very strong argument to support that. Was Hogan the best ever on the PGA tour? Most consider Jack to be the "best ever."

Nobody here is saying Hogan was the best ever. Then again, nobody's really saying Sorenstam is the best woman ever.

Heck, had Babe Didrickson Zaharias spent more time playing golf, she may be up there. So Annika the best today? Easy, sure. Best ever? Nah, there are a few women ahead of her. And a few men if we're considering everyone.
So you're going to take all of Annika's accomplishments and water then down because they were accomplished against women, and women aren't the best in the world at their sport? Jeez. Gimme me a break dude.

I don't think anyone's said that. I think when you look at Hogan's competition (Nelson, Demaret, etc. and others), and you look at Annika's (a big blank?), it's easy to say that Hogan had stiffer competition. Gender doesn't come into it.

I'm not trying to say that Annika's accomplishments are better than Hogan's, but for heaven's sake, don't rule her out because she competed against women. That's stupid. She is a woman.

Nobody's ruling her out because she is competing against women. I'm not entirely sure where you got that.

mediaguru said, "Hogan. He was competing against the best golfers in the world. All due respect to the LPGA tour, they're not the best golfers in the world."

Annika is competing against "the best golfers in the world." She is a woman; she competes against the best women golfers in the world. To rule Annika out because she competes against women is wrong. That is where I "got that."
R7 Quad 9.5*
Cleveland Launcher 13*
Cleveland Launcher 15*
Ben Hogan C455 21*
MP-33 PW-4 iron MP Series 56* & 60*Corza MonzaProV1

• Administrator
mediaguru said, "Hogan. He was competing against the best golfers in the world. All due respect to the LPGA tour, they're not the best golfers in the world." ... That is where I "got that."

Fair enough.

But he's also right about them not being the "best" golfers.

The LPGA women aren't the best players in the world? Give me a break. Because Hogan was a man and played against men, he is better? Annika is arguably the best ever on the LPGA tour - right? If you don't consider her the "best ever," you certainly MUST consider her the best in her era - hands down. Hogan was the best in his era? Perhaps, there is certainly a very strong argument to support that. Was Hogan the best ever on the PGA tour? Most consider Jack to be the "best ever."

I'm not watering down Annika's accomplishments at all. I DO consider her the best woman golfer EVER and I love watching her. Annika is head and shoulders above the LPGA.

BUT honestly I have to give Hogan the credit for the same reason I mentioned before. I believe the top 200 professional men either on the PGA or Nationwide would beat Annika or the top women golfers under the same conditions and same tees 90+% of the time. So to me that makes what Hogan did at that point much more difficult and amazing, regarless of his physical condition or the equipment.

• 2 years later...
To me the equiptment arguement is one of the worst ever.

If anything bad equiptment makes the differences in the players larger, the more forgiving clubs and balls of today bring more people into the field than before.

Its not like shes the only one using it or something either. Personally Id say Ben Hogan, he revolutionized golf.

I'd go with Hogan, he faced tougher competition than Annika has faced. Annika is terrific. I think Hogan's accomplishment are just a little bit more impressive.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I'm not watering down Annika's accomplishments at all. I DO consider her the best woman golfer EVER and I love watching her. Annika is head and shoulders above the LPGA.

I definitely don't consider Annika the best ever. She might be 3rd maybe 4th behind Kathy Whitworth (88 wins, 6 majors), Mickey Wright (82 wins, 12 majors retired at 34!), and Patty Berg (15 majors).

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Its definately Annika....she was Tiger a couple years ago. She shot a 59 remember that. She is the best womens golfer ever...As for Hogan...his competition was limited...remember most of America was in the working class. Only the the wealthy dare touch a golf course other than caddies and grounds crew personnel. The game was far too exclusive back in hogans day.

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

both are deadly accurate but only so so putters and annika was stronger than ben but ben could still hit the ball farther with old technology balls so i go with ben

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Note: This thread is 5867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!