IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass

iacas
Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It was probably that time of the month for him. I think he is a transgender, he dresses and walks like a woman.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

That's what I was thinking. This unfortunately isn't an isolated incident with professional golfers. I've been to 25 pro tournaments or so since 2002 (whether it be practice rounds or tourney) and there has been at least one instance where I have seen this at each one.

I have seen Couples act like a complete puss. He moans after every bad shot, and am surprised he has such a following. I saw him hit a bad shot one time and he dropped numerous f-bombs. I think he is fake Phil Mickelson senior.

A friend of my dad's used to caddy for a player on the tour that nobody here has probably heard of, but this guy led the US Open one year after the first round.

Anyways, we went to see them play at the Honda Classic one year back in the early 90's. I walked up to the 9th hole just as this guy misses a short putt for par. He picked up the ball and flung it at my buddy (his caddy) and it hit him in the leg. There was a subtle "ahhhh" in the crowd. It didn't physically hurt my friend, but it was very demeaning and hard to take. The guy never apologized and my buddy told him he would never caddy for him again. In my book, he qualifies as a Poulter-like "ass."

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I have seen Couples act like a complete puss. He moans after every bad shot, and am surprised he has such a following. I saw him hit a bad shot one time and he dropped numerous f-bombs. I think he is fake Phil Mickelson senior.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but I don't understand how getting mad at yourself and dropping an f-bomb makes you a "puss." As long as you aren't taking that aggro out on somebody else than I don't see the issue. Cursing out loud ain't that cool, but that doesn't make him even an ass in my book.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but I don't understand how getting mad at yourself and dropping an f-bomb makes you a "puss." As long as you aren't taking that aggro out on somebody else than I don't see the issue. Cursing out loud ain't that cool, but that doesn't make him even an ass in my book.

Puss aka whiner. No dropping f-bombs on tv is being an ass. Your book must be written in hieroglyphics.

• Administrator
I'm not trying to condone his behaviour in any way at all, it is unacceptable, but you must admit it must have looked pretty dodgy from his end when he looks at you and he sees you go, it wasn't me, and point to someone else. I'm not saying you were in the wrong here at all, but just saying from his point of view it may have looked a little dodgy.

I don't see that. Who cares who took the pictures? They weren't at the improper time - not a one of them. So I don't quite see the "dodgy" bit. What's dodgy about an accredited photographer taking pictures in a way that does not interfere with a player, then reacting with surprise when the player behaves like an ass?

Iacas, I don't think 25 yards is anything like far enough away, though I understand that a 300mm lens won't be enough for greater distances. Get yourself one of those big 800mm jobs the pros use, with the capability to open the f-stop wide up.

I have a 300 f/2.8. I have a 1.4x teleconverter (I used it about 60% of the time). Most of the other pro photogs shoot with a 400mm or a 500mm lens (without a TC) at f/2.8 (the 400) or f/4 (the 500). They don't use 800mm lenses at golf tournaments. There's no need. They also use the 70-200 and the 24-105 or the 24-70. Many use the 1D bodies, some the 30D or whatever.

I was the proper distance away for the lens I was using. They got me these two images, both of which I still had room to crop: Suffice to say I know a bit about what I'm doing.

You said that, Iacas, and i have nothing more to add, except that it all applies double in the tournament proper.

I didn't take pictures during the swing or even within the minute preceding when he addressed the ball. I'm not certain why you feel the need to call me out with my own advice, because I took my own advice. I didn't violate even the strictest of professional conduct.

Clarify something for me. Did you have a photo press pass, or were you carrying a camera illegally during a competative round (like the tickets and signs tell you not to)?

I get a press/media (and photo) pass to The Memorial, as I have for other tournaments (including the U.S. Open).

I agree with what loadnazgul wrote above about you how it might have looked from Poulter's perspective, and that if you played golf for a living, and had money and rankings on the line you might be pretty pissed too if someone with a camera was distracting you while you were trying to focus during a competative round.

Have you ever attended a PGA Tour event? Fans chatter, photographers take pictures, cheers erupt from other holes, and even the caddies talk loudly between shots. It's only when someone is about to play that anyone has a responsibility to be quiet.

I wasn't "in the wrong." Because I'm not a professional photographer, I take my cues from all of them, and I've learned the "dos" and "don'ts." I take them even further: some photographers time their shutters with impact - I keep my finger off the shutter until well after impact. Some photographers take pictures while someone is stepping into their stance - I won't take a picture within 40 seconds of someone's time to play a shot.

why do you care so much that you wrote a huge post about it? big deal ian got pissed off. i would get pissed too if a guy was taking pictures while i was putting.

Good thing I wasn't taking pictures while Ian was putting!

I wrote because I was so shocked that he'd flip out like that. I'm a golf fan if nothing else, and I suspect a good portion of the rest of the members would have written a similar post in my position. And I bet a good portion of the rest of the members here are interested in hearing about this kind of thing.

iacas, you got media/camera passes?! HOW??!

Well you see, I'm editor of this website you may have heard of...

I would be angry if I was in Ian's position to be honest, you were simply an outlet for his anger, you shouldn't take offence.

I didn't really take offense. However, Ian has lost my respect.

Besides Stevie and Tiger shout at cameramen all the time, but its alright for them is it? hmmm.

I've never heard Stevie and Tiger shout at anyone for simply existing or for taking pictures of him when he's not playing a shot. Stevie and Tiger shout when someone takes a picture DURING his swing.

There is a line to be walked when you're dealing with pro sportspeople and it gets pretty fine at times.

I'll keep my response to your long-winded post short: I didn't cross the line. I couldn't even see the line from where I was positioned. I don't need the lecture. I was merely an outlet for Ian's pissiness.

I don't take pictures as early after a shot is made as other photographers. I don't take pictures as late as other photographers before a shot is made. I don't get as close as other photographers (I'm mostly shooting for the Web, and it's easy to crop and still get a usable 500-pixel-wide image). To borrow your phrase, the player was given priority, then made a priority out of acting like a jackass.

Agreed, if you can't stand the heat, get off the Tour. Just because you're having a bad day doesn't give you a license to sh*t on the fans or anyone else for that matter. Who does he think he gets his paycheck from? Directly or indirectly, it's from the fans.

That's the most troubling thing about this. It wasn't a stare. It wasn't the caddie coming over and cursing me out quietly (or the player doing so). It was Ian Poulter, flipping the bird and cursing in front of hundreds of fans, including children, because he missed a putt.

If that'd been me…

I've thought of a thousand comebacks that would have been better than "it wasn't me," but at the time I was so shocked that he'd speak to me (let alone blame me, then curse at me) that none sprang to mind quickly enough to be necessary. And that followed the shock I was in that he had flipped off the ball to begin with!!!

The best one I've come up with so far is similar to yours: "No, actually I didn't get you flipping off the ball - could you do that again please?"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A little off topic, but those are some sick pictures.
Did you take any of other pros?

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

• Administrator
A little off topic, but those are some sick pictures.

Yeah, I got nearly everyone in the field, but only the top 50 or whatever made the cut.

I'm going to make a post with LOTS of pictures in it later tonight if I can. Now, back to topic eh?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great pictures. I figured as much about how you came across the pass. That's cool! Hey, if I'm not playing in the LA Open next year you can try and get me a pass and I'll be happy to be your correspondant...

That'll give me an excuse to finally buy the Nikon I want.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I had a similar experience with Ian myself.

It was at the 2007 Byron Nelson. He wasn't a complete "D-Bag" as described earlier, but he definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. We met him as he came off the range after Saturdays round. As he came off, my friends and I siezed the opportunity to recieve an autograph. He did give us an autograph, but didn't say one word to us. We're not the kind of people to sit there and feed his ego, but he could've still found the decency to answer our questions. He had been playing good that week too. We asked him about a bad swing he had made earlier in the round and he literally walked away from us without saying a word.

Perhaps we shouldn't have brought up the negatives from his round, but in the same sense he's a professional and should be able to learn from thos mistakes and talk about them openly.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

What this tells me (other than that he is an ass) is that he is easily distracted and as talented as he is probably won't be winning PGA tour events anytime soon with that mental makeup. I've read the issues people have had with him on this website and I have read/heard stories from others who talked about Poulter this way as well. There are always going to be noises... cameras, people talking, fans clapping, whatever when you have thousands of people in a relatively small area. As long as these noises are not made during the shot (putt, chip, drive, iron shot) and done in a respectful manner these players simply have to deal with it. I notice caddy's talking with their player, obviously quietly, while a playing competitor is taking his shot. I bet they can sometimes hear the whispering. Heck, Bones is always in Phil's ear.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

My guess is something like this happens every week. Many are just spoiled brats with no manners. I didn't have an opinion of him up to this point, but now I do.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I actually was at that same hole, and saw this happen. It wasnt like he was "muttering" the F-bomb either. Lots of people heard it. I had no idea that was you, Iacas, but more than one spectator around there was calling him a F***ing prick, and walked away from watching him for the day. There were a bunch of children around to hear this as well. He is right up there with Sabbatini as far as I am concerned after that complete lack of class. I hope the photo of him flipping off the ball DOES get published somewhere so he has to try to explain it.

2006 Shell Houston Open, 12th hole, final round. He gives his ball the middle finger after missing his bogie putt. Hole was in the back of the green. 50 people in the stands saw it.

My brother and I had a good laugh. Guy next to us says, "well kids, that's a great role model."
"I say pick it up a******. Put it in your pocket. You're lucky you found it. Go the **** home will ya?"

--George Carlin

He did give us an autograph, but didn't say one word to us. We're not the kind of people to sit there and feed his ego, but he could've still found the decency to answer our questions. He had been playing good that week too. We asked him about a bad swing he had made earlier in the round and he literally walked away from us without saying a word.

I think you were very fortunate indeed.

Perhaps we shouldn't have brought up the negatives from his round,

I think you may be on the button, there...

That's a pursuit best left to TV commentators. They're professionals and know what they're doing...and they have a guy with a big lump of metal lurking very nearby, also! You got his autograph, even after reminding him of something he was probably trying to put away from his mind. I think you came out ahead!!

Have you ever attended a PGA Tour event? Fans chatter, photographers take pictures, cheers erupt from other holes, and even the caddies talk loudly

Exactly so. The important thing is to maintain stillness and quiet just before the stroke is played - the same goes for everyone in the gallery of course. Other than that, there's a heck of a lot going on at these events.

Very nice shots there Erik. I'm just jealous that you were able to take your Canon to the event. If I could, I'd be shooting at the Buick (Torrey Pines) every January.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!