IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And to the OP, sorry for getting lost in wordiness. You are 7 and better than me. I think you will lose a slight amount of consistency, but little or no distance if you maintain the same lofts.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Luke - No disrespect, but did you enter your age where your handicap index should be in your profile? If not, why would a 28.0 handicap switch from a modified blade MP-57 to a true blade MP-67? For that matter, why would a 28.0 play either of those clubs?

Ironically I am 28 yes!

...and 28 is also the default handicap under the UK CONGU system so I entered that when I was signing up to ST. I tried to enter nothing but couldn't at the time. Real handicaps require a golf membership in the UK (Congu system) and I can't afford/justify that currently. I first picked up a club 2 1/2 years ago, but only started paying attention properly to golf or more specifically my swing 1 year ago. I went from Cobra SZ to MP-57s, and then my pro advocated stiffer shafts! I tried the MP-67s at a range (local shop lets you borrow the demo irons) and had no problems with them, so picked up a good set up second hand of fleabay with S300 shafts. You might well tell me you won't agree with this, but I'd rather have the clubs be critical of my shot and teach me more on the range, than reward me for less than adequate shots...

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

They call huge CB clubs "game improvement clubs", but it's the other way around. They mask swing flaws and makes it easier to play with a worse swing.

Blades, which require better ball striking is the true "game improvement clubs", because they force you to become a better player.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Ironically I am 28 yes!

I say, play those blades while you're young. You can always increase the game improvement characteristics of your entire set later - when you're older - when putting a good strike on the ball is too physically demanding.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

They call huge CB clubs "game improvement clubs", but it's the other way around. They mask swing flaws and makes it easier to play with a worse swing.

I agree entirely...

I'd rather "learn" with these while learning to swing, and step to a more forgiving club if needed later... I can honestly say it has done my game no harm at all to play with blades and has only improved me so far! As mentioned by Sean_Miller, I can always step back in a couple of years easily enough

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

I would rather score. I don't need to make a bogie to know I miss hit the ball. I had/have MP 60s and my index went up 3 points. I like the confidence to know I don't have to hit it perfect to hit the green. 20 yards short is a real b##ch of an up and down.

I thought my mp60s even on perfect contact were much shorter than any other club I played (they are 1 degree stronger than factory). I gained a full club by changing to what I have now. I just don't believe you need to have a club that doesn't perform on mishits to improve.

Brian

I switched from a SGI iron (g10 ping) to a MP32 blade. It has been the best decision I have ever made in my equipment. Control is great and I am hitting the ball 1.5 to 2 clubs farther. Ex. (8I) Ping G-10 = 140yds. vs. (8I)
Mizuno MP32 = 165yds.
To me they made it much easier to groove my swing and feel mishits so corrections can be made. I'm already looking for an additional set to put back for spare.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

Hey Luke: Fair enough, you understand that you will be getting much more feedback with the blades and your mishits will be worse that a mishit with a "game improvement" club. Sound like you are OK with that reality, which is fine. Plus, you were able to get that at less than retail, which is also good.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

I would rather score. I don't need to make a bogie to know I miss hit the ball. I had/have MP 60s and my index went up 3 points. I like the confidence to know I don't have to hit it perfect to hit the green. 20 yards short is a real b##ch of an up and down.

I actually agree with this statement. I just don't see how going backwards helps you go forwards. I know a lot of people say they helped them see their flaws but I just think any dedicated golfer will know their flaws. I do agree that blades go a little further and tighter to the line but a miss hit with a blade will be 10 times worse. I will say I played with blades for one season and my handicap went up a little but it made me realize I needed to work on different parts of my short game. Good Luck with your choice
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Of course, people have different goals in golf. I don't care about score, I care about my game.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I actually agree with this statement. I just don't see how going backwards helps you go forwards. I know a lot of people say they helped them see their flaws but I just think any dedicated golfer will know their flaws. I do agree that blades go a little further and tighter to the line but a miss hit with a blade will be 10 times worse. I will say I played with blades for one season and my handicap went up a little but it made me realize I needed to work on different parts of my short game. Good Luck with your choice

blades should go shorter since they're normally higher lofts.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
blades should go shorter since they're normally higher lofts.

That's because their CG is often higher, so they produce lower launch angles for similar lofts as a cavity-back iron.

Think that's been said a fair amount in this thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In just about everything you have to go backwards to improve.

2 - Personally I like the look of the Wilson FG59s... Second choice (from looks alone) is the MP-67s I currently play with.

Wow, those are sharp. A little less writing/graphics on the clubhead and they would be a real sight. Gorgeous looking club there.

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I went to a demo day a couple of days ago to try out the 710 mbs, i was so suprised how easy there were to hit! i also coulnt get over how fat the topline was

In my Golf Bag...
Driver: Taylormade Burner 07 10.5 Degree w/ V2 76g Stiff
F/way Wood: : Bridgestone J33 15 Degree w/ Aldila NV 85g Stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 909H 19 Degree w/ V2 89g Stiff
Irons: Tourstage X-blade 05 3-Pw w/ True Temper Black Gold StiffWedges: Titleist Oil Can Vokey 09 55 and 60...

Can someone help me here because I don't understand the mizuno range which is more forgiving MP 58 or MP 68 or MP 52 or MP62 or MP33 can someone please put these in order

Can someone help me here because I don't understand the mizuno range which is more forgiving MP 58 or MP 68 or MP 52 or MP62 or MP33 can someone please put these in order

52, 58, 68, 62, 33 (in order of most to least forgiving).

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I used to hit blades when i was younger and played everyday...now i wouldnt even think about it :)

Superlight Stand Bag
909D2 9.5° Diamana S
909F2 15.5° Diamana S
909F2 18.5° Diamana S
AP2 Project X 5.5 3-PW Vokey Spin Milled 52° 56° 60° Studio Select Newport 2 Pro V1Home Course - http://www.huronoaks.com (Home of Mike Weir)

Note: This thread is 1426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!