IGNORED

Course Attire

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 5789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started tucking my shirt in, but usually if It comes out I don't fix it and tuck it back in. Tying my shoes every hole is enough for me to bother with.

You need Footjoys Reelfit shoes son! Set it and forget it. The BOA lacing system is awesome!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with any garb I see on other golfers as long as it's not a t-shirt and/or jeans. Neither one belongs on a golf course.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

I agree with you, at least show up looking nice, how hard is it to tuck in your shirt and wear a belt? I wear clothes that would be fine on the PGA Tour, wether I'm playing, or just going to practice putting for an hour, it doesn't matter, I want to dress the part.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I'm in the 'as long as it's not jeans' camp. I guess I just don't see the point of playing any sport in jeans (sans-billiards) since it restricts free movement...unless you're wearing baggy jeans - which really doesn't belong on a golf course.

I am also against hearing sweaty old men in long khakis (drenched khakis actually) in 95 degree heat complaining about how hot it is. Take a chill pill and wear shorts! I swear it's socially acceptable.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I guess I am a total slob. I always wear khaki shorts with a nike golf shirt untucked and by the 3rd hole the hat is usually flipped around backwards so I get some sun.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know if I'm just getting old or what but I've got a new pet peeve. I'm really sick of seeing guys wearing an untucked sport shirt with cargo shorts on the course. To me it looks extremely sloppy. Courses have done a pretty good job of banning jeans and t-shirts but this nuveau, sloppy look that I see quite frequently is frankly no better. I don't know why this bothers me because I'm generally a very laid back person but it just doesn't look good to me. I know I'm going to get railed for this but I just needed to vent. Sorry.

Haha that totally describes me in my teenage years, which is actually when I was playing my best and winning jr events.

I think a lot of people like the feeling of being "loose." I must say tho... that I have grown to enjoy and strongly prefer a tucked in shirt and non-cargo shorts, it really does look much classier. And classy golf style can actually be more fun and marketable than the untucked shirt, cargo shorts etc. So I would say don't write off someone just because they are dressed a little sloppy for the course - but presentation is definitely part of perceptions, and even I now take better dressed golfers more seriously at first impression than those who are dressed for a concert. With the surge of youth who are into golf now, it is a very interesting time. At my course I see young guys with classic golf shoes, plaid pants, a tucked in polo, and then a big, blinged out Anthony Kim style belt buckle and fitted hat. It can be a good look. I think the most crucial thing is the tucked in shirt and non-cargo shorts.

no jeans please, or shorts that have a length that is more than 2 inches above the knee cap. And please, no collarless shirts or Duval like skin tight vests, especially when you look like John Daly!

I play with my sons primarily at "The First Tee" in our home town. They have a very strict dress and decorum code and all of the staff there actively enforce those codes. Unless you are out on their six hole par three course away from the club house you can expect someone to let you know pretty quick if your shirt has come untucked. I'm not quite that paranoid regarding other people's dress, but I like that fact that at TFT they make a big issue out of golf etiquette.

Personally I regard my appearance on the golf course to be similar to what I'd wear to a nice restaurant. After all golf originally had it's roots in the country club environment where you'd play a round and then eat and relax at in the club where proper attire was required. Now in that enviroment most people shower and change their clothes after playing, but proper attair was still a must on the course. Obviously dressing for comfort makes your round more enjoyable, but you can still do that while staying presentable.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I really don't care what people wear. Their clothing has absolutely no effect on me. Maybe if I paid $20,000 a year to be a member somewhere I'd care a little more. I play well enough, but don't feel like I need to dress like I'm on the tour because, well...I'm not.

Driver: FT5 Tour 9.5*
3 Wood: FT Tour 15*
Irons: X-Tour 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Custom Shop Studio Stainless Newport 2

I am so focused and playing my own game and having fun with whom ever else I am playing with that I very rarely notice what anyone else is wearing. Unless of course we have to play through them.

Really? Shorts are OK. But Jeans are not? I'm a bank manager, and our dress code is business casual all week, except for Jeans Days on Friday. And then, it is business appropriate attire, except wearing nice blue jeans.

Why are Shorts acceptable but Jeans are considered taboo?

I always wear jeans, a Polo shirt, and my golf shoes. I usually look more "put together" than some of the younger guys running around in shorts and hats falling apart.

MOST of the older guys on the courses out here (it is a retirement community) wear jeans or khaki pants. I never see them wear shorts, and I'm glad I don't. I just don't understand why jeans are not acceptable.

Sam Walton did most of his business in blue jeans. He created the largest retail empire in the world today, and he did it in blue jeans.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

I dress neatly, but I do often wear jeans in cold weather. It's pretty common out here for public courses to have a fairly loose dress code. I would never wear jeans to a course where I didn't know if they were allowed. In summer I also wear nice Bermuda shorts, or I wear clean, neat cargo shorts, with golf shirt tucked in. I may on occasion pull out the shirt partway through a round on an exceptionally hot day to promote some air circulation, but that is rare.

But I don't really care what some else wears... I'm more concerned with how they conduct themselves on the course. That means knowing and using good etiquette, not throwing clubs or beating the ground and swearing or otherwise acting boorishly. I've played with farmers in bib overalls who understand the game and have the same passion for it as I do, while I've played with guys who dress like a Tour pro and act like complete jerks. I'll take the farmer look any day.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don Schneider went to work in blue jeans - I mean he only ran and owned the largest privately held transportation/logistics company in the world.

My question is this - if we won't tolerate it on your local golf course, why do we then tolerate it anywhere?

Go into a restaurant and you see all kinds of things - guys in tank tops (exposed armpits around food) or the like yet you won't and don't allow shorts or a t-shirt while hitting a little ball with a stick.

It's the hypocrisy that gets me.

Andrew

well said fourputt.
at my home course there are no jeans
i don't care either way but jeans can look sloppy, but also nice
i think courses take the chance to not make it look sloppy by banning jeans all together

In my White Hoofer Vantage Bag:

Driver : R7 Draw
Woods : 3 hybrid
Irons : MP-60Wedge : 54 deg 58 degPutter : RED X 35' (in love)Ball : TP BlackBest Round: 80Closest to Hole-In-One: 0.5''

Really? Shorts are OK. But Jeans are not? I'm a bank manager, and our dress code is business casual all week, except for Jeans Days on Friday. And then, it is business appropriate attire, except wearing nice blue jeans.

I got to second this question: What's the problem with jeans?

I confess to being almost as new to golf as to the forum, but up til this weekend, all I ever wore was jeans. I much prefer seeing jeans to cargo shorts, myself, but I have plenty to concern myself with before worrying much about what other folks are wearing on the course.

Golf is a good walk spoiled. ~Mark Twain

Quit worrying about other people and play some golf.

In my Grom:

HiBore XLS 10.5 / ProLaunch Blue
Ti Great Big Bertha Warbird 3 Wood
Killer Whale 5 WoodPinemeadow Command 3 Hy Eye 2 + 4-9 Irons 588 RTG 49 "Special", Gunmetal 56, RTG 60 White Hot #5 Tour B330-RXEpoch Tees Royal Oaks Golf Club

I'm one of the long shorts or jeans players. I generally wear unicolored shirts with no collar and will tuck in unless it's hot. In winter I will wear a sweatshirt. I'm out there to play golf and not to fashion the latest upscale clothing trends. If a course deems certain clothes verboten than it's up to me to either dress to the course standards or go somewhere else. The flip flop applies to. If it's a course that allows jeans, cargo pants, hat on backwards etc. than suck it up and worry about the game at hand or go somewhere else where a dress code is enforced. Some of the lousiest golfers (I don't mean their game either) that I have had the displeasure of playing with have been the best dressed ones. Besides the origins of the game are sheepherders in the pasture hitting terds to pass the time. I doubt they were in their Sunday best.

Besides the origins of the game are sheepherders in the pasture hitting terds to pass the time. I doubt they were in their Sunday best.

Thats awesome.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

Note: This thread is 5789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!