IGNORED

Golfing Solo

-Mini-
Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing solo is alright, but sometimes playing with others is better.

I believe in the notion that good play and bad play is contagious. When I'm playing with other good players I seem to play better. When I play with bad players I play worse.

All this aside I prefer to play with others for many reasons:

-It gets lonely
-I enjoy beating others
-You meet new people
-If your by yourself and play quick you'll more than likely be waiting on just about every shot.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play by myself almost every day. A lot of my buddies play with me on weekends or when they have free time, but I literally have from noon until dark everyday. Not many people get that luxury so I take advantage of it.

Playing by yourself can really help your game to. It's just you vs. par. You can work on different aspects of your game without holding anyone up. You can practice putting from different spots on every green. One thing I like to do is hit lots, and I mean LOTS, of balls from 150 in. A lot of times I will drop 4-5 balls at 130 and hit them in. I chip and putt around the greens. I work on my bunker play (we don't have a greenside bunker in our practice facility).

As far as the social aspect of it goes, you can meet a lot of people too. When you come up on a twosome that's riding and they're letting you play through, I usually invite them to hit their tee shots with me and talk a bit down the fairway before I pass them up. You can also reflect on your game and think about areas you need to improve. In general, playing alone can really help you more than it can hurt you, and I suggest it to anyone trying to improve.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Funny that this topic was created recently. I start my vacation tomorrow at noon and am itchin to go golfing. I am going away Friday so I am trying to get a few holes in. I am debating on whether or not I want to go by myself.

I play by myself almost 70% or more of the time. I almost always play on Sunday nights, in the summer I won't start until 5:30 or so. This past weekend I played at that time, played 1-14 by 7pm, went back and played 11-14 again (finally caught up to group on 15), then I played 15 and 16 in a loop twice, went on to 17. Got to 18 with about 20 minutes of light to go, played 18 and 10 over and over again until I couldn't really see anymore.

On a lot of holes I would hit multiple balls from one place to practice real shots (everyone feels good at the range). A lot of time I will just hit putts from different places on the green too. It's GREAT practice to play this way, nobody is ever on the course.

After doing this a lot, I find I play terrible when I have to contantly wait on the group ahead of me in a foursome.
TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

I played solo a few times. Allows you to drop and play multiple balls. I dropped balls from different spots on the fairway to test out what the approach shot would be like...to hone my course strategy...determining where I place my teeshot for my approach shot. Also to hone in on 'distance feel' by hitting a few balls from the same location with non-driving range balls.

I believe in the notion that good play and bad play is contagious. When I'm playing with other good players I seem to play better. When I play with bad players I play worse.

I have noticed this 100%.

I don't mind playing with a group of friends, but I don't like to many times in the year. I enjoy playing alone because I focus a lot more and usually play better in the process. I'm also a pretty fast player, and a group gets me out of rythym sometimes.

So in closing, I probably play alone 95% of the time.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll be in Hilton Head this Sunday at the Ocean Course. The course is beginner friendly, I'm told. I don't know who I'll be playing with and this will be only my second time on a course - I kept the pace the first time

Is there anyone playing at HH this Sunday??

Charles

I hate to golf alone for the simple fact that I'm sure the first time I'll do I'll hit an ace....twice, and no one will see it.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

I actually find the exact opposite. When I play with bad players, I play well all the way through..

When I'm playing with good players, I play well up to around 9 or 10, and then I collapse.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I've never played a round by myself before, was wondering if it is a popular thing to do? I normally only see groups playing, I can't recall seeing solo golfers. I really want to focus on my game and take the time to read shots, and work on my game.

It's more common at places that offer memberships, I would guess. If I'm going to pay $50 to play a round of golf I'll probably want a buddy with me.

I love playing solo for one big reason.

If its dead out there i can spend time on and around a green. Hit 4 approach shots. Drive the ball a few times. Ive played one hole that took a full hour. Because i was practicing a ton of shots. And nobody bothered me about it.

I play solo about half the time. If I'm truly by myself I will which into practice mode and play 2 balls (or more) at a time. I get 2 or 3 rounds out of one green fee

Typically (for me) playing as a single gets me placed with a twosome. I get to meet some interesting people while enjoying the day.

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

^^^^

Yeah. Since i work nights i can play on weekdays, alone. If im paired with a group they are always much older people. But always with nice guys. Or some oriental girls who kick my ass.

I only play by myself if the weather is nice, if its too hot i want someone to suffer with me.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

I enjoy golfing solo. Like the others said, its when I practice and try to play a little more seriously. Although I do enjoy being with my golf buddies and joking around / helping each other's games.

Seven bucks here and you can walk a local course as many time as you want. Who can pass that up when you caught the golf bug. Friends or no friends, golf is always great.

Big Cart Bag:

R7 Quad 11.5*
200Steel 5wood 15*
Baffler Hybrid 18* R7 Draw Irons 3-AW Tour Action 56* / 60* Dual Force 990 Pro V1/x

I play by myself most of the time. I find playing with other people to sometimes be a distraction. When you play alone, you have nothing to distract you from your game and you can play at your own pace.
Some courses dont like to let you play alone though. A lot of the time, they will group you together with other people.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

The only way to prepare for tourneys imo is playing solo. You can take your time and work on shots. You can play 5 balls if you want to. Much more productive than beating range balls at targets all day.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!