iacas

"Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" by Ben Hogan

446 posts / 211881 viewsLast Reply

[QUOTE=wachesawgolfer;232974]

Ben Hogan has created in

Thanks for that -- those are some interesting points.

There was a time a year or so where I tried to focus on swing plane, and found it messed everything up, so I dropped that route. I later took lessons and that was a huge step forward. As for the Hogan book. My better half tidied it up 'somewhere,' and not sure where that 'where' is.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

As stated previously, Hogan explains his swing. Early in his carrier, Hogan had a problem with over drawing/hooking the ball. This book describes the swing and grip he used to hit a slight fade. Most beginner golfers do not need to hit the ball with more fade, but with more draw.

All that said, this is a great read with even better illustrations. The illustrations are the work of a genius. I have read it cover to cover ten or more times. Great book, but not recommended for the beginner.

For the beginner I recommend the following
Practical Golf by John Jacobs for the long game
Dave Pelz Short game Bible for 140-40 yards off the green
40 yards and in (including putting) Tom Watsons getting up and down.

As stated previously, Hogan explains his swing. Early in his carrier, Hogan had a problem with over drawing/hooking the ball. This book describes the swing and grip he used to hit a slight fade. Most beginner golfers do not need to hit the ball with more fade, but with more draw.

I disagree. There is a difference with a beginner golfer's banana slice and an educated golfer's baby fade. Hogan's book will give any golfer a great understanding to a solid swing. Sure, it will lead a golfer down a path that will favor a fade. But the book will also certainly help correct a banana slice [and duck hook for that matter].

i just finished reading this book and i think this book is a must read for all golfers. i really like the way he describes posture and setup myself, very athletic.

-matt

i just finished reading this book and i think this book is a must read for all golfers. i really like the way he describes posture and setup myself, very athletic.

FYI: Here are the table of contents in "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons"

The Fundamentals page 13 1. The Grip page 18 2. Stance and Posture page 37 3. The First Part of the Swing page 61 4. The Second Part of the Swing page 84 5. Summary and Review page 109

Thanks for this thread! I am new to the game of golf and am so glad I bumped into this board.

Just ordered a copy at Amazon.

Kind regards,
Chris D.

Thanks for this thread! I am new to the game of golf and am so glad I bumped into this board.

Welcome, you won't be disappointed. In the book, nor this board...

An excellent book, I have reread it many times over the years. The DVD "The Ben Hogan Collection is a great subliment to the book,

I am brand new to golf and so far have had no instruction minus my fellow soldiers who give me pointers when we go to a golf course. Right now I am stationed in S.Korea and am trying to learn by myself. Probably not the best way to learn something but I learned how to shoot that way

I am considering getting this book, would that be recommended for a total newbie? Newbie as in someone who didn't know that you can't use a tee every time you hit the ball. Thanks

Get Hogan's book, read it now, and read it years later as well. His insights are always useful, no matter how small changes in swing theory come and go. Hogan's book is, in a way, timeless. It is a good text for all levels of golfers. The part on the grip alone makes it worth the price.

I am brand new to golf and so far have had no instruction minus my fellow soldiers who give me pointers when we go to a golf course. Right now I am stationed in S.Korea and am trying to learn by myself. Probably not the best way to learn something but I learned how to shoot that way

The lessons are super easy to read and comprehend and you should be able to get through one in an hour. Read one lesson at a time. Study and practice it for a week or until you feel totally comfortable with it. Don't move to the next lesson until you feel you can. You don't really need to be at a range either. Especially with the first two lessons,

The Grip and Stance and Posture you can do those in a room. In five weeks you'll have a great swing.

Yes! Especially if you are a newbie. This book was written by Ben Hogan and the swing principals still hold up today.

Keep in mind when Hogan wrote this book he was fighting a hook so the grip he teaches in this book is a weak grip. If you are fighting a slice I recommend a stronger grip than what Hogan teaches...stronger meaning the "V"s on your right and left hand pointing more toward your right shoulder as you take your stance (for right handed golfers). In the book you will notice Hogan's "V"s are pointing toward his left ear at address, a weak grip. Hit 'em Long & Straight! --John

can someone help me understand this "v" thing he is talking about in the grip lesson?

the v area is between the thumb and index finger is pointing

pic of left wrist of hogan