IGNORED

"The Little Red Book" (and His Other Books) by Harvey Penick

iacas
Note: This thread is 876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I never had the book, but years ago my Grandfather gave me the video. First golf video I ever watched. Can't remember the name of the guy that narated/hosted, but it had Ben Crenshaw and Tom Kite.

On a side note, I thought it would be cool to have signed balls from the both of them since watching them kind of started my intrest in golf (and because Crenshaw is a distant cousin). I went to a Champions tour tourny here in Houston and got Ben's sig, but Kite stiffed me several times. I read later that Kite "no longer signs golf balls". He could have at least told me that, jerk acted like he didn't even see me. I showed him though, I bought a signed ball off ebay from back when he wasn't above such things, lol.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I love all of Harvey Pennick's books. They are sooo great!

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

The one thing that has stuck with me after reading the book... "if I tell you to take an aspirin, don't take the whole bottle". I'm guilty of this with swing thoughts and mechanics and then I remember.. "don't take the whole bottle". A little goes a long way.

5000 9.5 Graphite deisgn ys6+ stiff
Insight 3 wood stiff
4 hybrid
:I10 3-w AWT Stiff blue dot
X tour 58, 54:VPNXT Tour

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i found this on ebay for dirt cheap recently. it's a good little read, though i can't say it did much for my game. i passed it along to my dad, maybe it'll do him more good than it did me.

• 4 weeks later...
Another set of classics, surely to part of any growing library.

I like "The Little Red Book", the best but have his other two as well. If you are a golfer they are a wonderful read, nicely broken down into stories, so you don't have to devote large chunks of time to reading. I hate to say it, but these are great "bathroom" books.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

you can get caught up reading the little stories and miss the lesson. What I liked about Harvey was he got the best out of your swing without trying to clone you with other golfers

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Definately liked the little lessons:

When taking asprin, don't take the whole bottle
Swing the bucket
Take dead aim

Otherwise it had a very positive outlook on golf that is easy to forget about when you are struggling. It was nice to see the number of people he helped just by saying what they needed to hear to restore their confidence.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

• 4 weeks later...
I usually read this book every spring before the season starts or shortly after. I find Harvey's words very calming and helpful to remember on the course. I often tell myself to Take Dead Aim on the course, whether it is at a spot on the fairway, center of the green, or the pin.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
"Take Dead Aim"

The three most used words Thursday through Sunday on any tv channel.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I just finished reading this book two days ago. Overall a great read. Very entertaining as well as instructive.

I find this a bit of a shock. I keep my copy on the bookshelf over my computer, and I refer to it often. Even if I'm not looking for anything specific, it helps keep me in a good frame of mind. Harvey wasn't just smart, he had wisdom, yet he knew how make his point with utter simplicity.

What a dream it would be to have been able to meet him.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Short and to the point. Still the best teaching style for the majority of people. Quite a switch from the "guru's" that are out there.

I find this a bit of a shock. I keep my copy on the bookshelf over my computer, and I refer to it often. Even if I'm not looking for anything specific, it helps keep me in a good frame of mind. Harvey wasn't just smart, he had wisdom, yet he knew how make his point with utter simplicity.

I certainly agree. I find his words very relaxing. I bet he could have fixed Barkley's (SP?) swing, no offense to Hank of course.

- Shane

I feel guilty posting again about Harvey, but he was a very special person. As mentioned, he was not caught up in a great deal of the technicalities, but on the other hand, he said things that some how applied to how to play golf. The reason for this second post is just that... today while playing, I had a tough shot, and like a light flash going off, something Harvey said years ago came into my head. I made par, but should have bogeyed, and probably would have had not of his ideas popped into my head. The idea was, "so you lie two and are not on the green and have a tough shot... you actually have two shots to make par, use them."

RC

• 3 weeks later...
I have read it many times. It calms and gets your mind right. I am do to read it again, and soon!

What I Play
905T 9.5 NV65
AP1 3-W
56deg
Studio Select - Newport 2 34" e6+ Studio Design 2 - in the barn for now

Note: This thread is 876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!