IGNORED

Dave Pelz "AlmostGolf" Foam Practice Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 2007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't waste your time.

It is impossible to hit one poorly, and they fly much further than 1/3 distance.

It is fun to hit them every once in a while, but it is nothing like hitting a real golf ball.

Revolver Pro
FT-5 Tour 8.5°
Diablo 15° 3W
MP57 3i-PW (Project X 6.0)
52°, 56°, 60° Rossa Daytona

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been thinking about buying some of these to save me a TON of money on the range. Im going to the range with my vid camera just working on certain parts of the swing and its starting to cost me a pretty penny... 8 bucks a pop 3 times a week adds up.

So Ive been looking at these Almost golf balls, say they fly true just 1/3 the distance and never tear, break, etc.....

Just wondering if anyone here has used them? And also, if I just go to a field with these balls and video my swing, it will be the same as hitting a real ball right? It wont be a "practice" swing. This way I can critique my positions all while saving a boatload of money.

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

The balls are light and will compress no matter how badly you hit them. They are limited flight in the area of a 100 yard shot will about about 30 yards. They are supposed to give an accurate trajectory despite the limited flight, and from my use I would tend to agree. They will eventually wear out, but it will take a long time.

I would get some as I think you will like the results, and it costs about one bucket of ball to find out.

In my KZG Stand Bag:
919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)
919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)
KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)
KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33" e7 or TriSpeed uProMy...

I have a short 150yd. range at my house, and use these for my longer clubs; mostly anything over an 8I. I generaly hit these balls with the driver to around 130-140 or so. They do react similarly, and you don't have to worry about cars and windows. For $25 for 36, they seem to be a good value.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

I've been practicing with them for over a year and really like them. They are great if you have limited space and want to take full shots. I do think they exaggerate the ball flight; a fade will be more of a slice and a draw will be more of a hook. But I do think they are far better than any other short range practice ball I've used.

Agreed... I have used these for a while, they perform as advertised... Good buy IMO

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

I have a short 150yd. range at my house, and use these for my longer clubs; mostly anything over an 8I. I generaly hit these balls with the driver to around 130-140 or so. They do react similarly, and you don't have to worry about cars and windows. For $25 for 36, they seem to be a good value.

Good to know about this details. Thanks!

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

I have a ton of these things. I bought a dozen, and tried them, loved them, and bought a bag of 144 of them directly from AlmostGolf. Gave away some as gifts to friends who love them too.

I wrote about these almost two years ago now in a post here: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads/10136-Birdie-Ball

I still love these things. They have held up so well, and I use them 50% of the time on paved parking lots. They are nice and solid in contact and remain pretty consistent in feel. Like others have said, ball flight is similar, but it will tend to balloon more or turn a fade into a slice... but it allows you to practice those swings and see some instant results.

They feel better than hitting plastic balls and the soft foam balls. I love them up where I live, as I have to hit on pavement in the beginning of spring as our melt off keeps the ground wet and soggy until mid april most years. They also won't plug on soft ground.

They are great practice option. It has allowed me to hit balls everyday, pretty much anywhere I can find a field if need be. It has allowed me to groove my swing just by hitting balls everyday. Most days during the spring, summer and fall I pop out to a back parking lot and hit 100-150 balls during lunch at no additional cost to the initial investment. I have been using these since 2007 and they are still in great shape.

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ Dymo 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

I have the same experiences as the others. I use them outside my house to practice. I live in a very open area so I have plenty of room to use them. You can definitely feel if you miss hit them which is kind of nice. I would pick up a set and try them out.

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Awesome, I think this will really help me groove a swing and save me some $$ at the same time! Thanks for all the responses.

One last question, anyone know of a retailer that sells these?? Not on golfsmith's website...

I'd like to pick some of these up tomorrow locally if possible...

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

I remember seeing them at Dick's Sporting goods out here in Chicago. I do not know if they have that chain out by you in Tampa?

Zack

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Yea there is a Dicks out here, I'll swing by there tomorrow after work, I was gonna go anyways to buy a glove so this works out perfect.

Thanks man!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Awesome, I think this will really help me groove a swing and save me some $$ at the same time! Thanks for all the responses.

Academy Sports is where I picked mine up, you may also try Dick's

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

I have a 100 yard range at the house, and have been just using my lob and sand wedge to practice. Coincidentally, my lob and sand wedge shots have improved greatly on the course. I need to go pick up a couple dozen of these as well, so that I can start working on my other irons at the house. I've been fighting a push that seems to be making it's return, and it would be nice to be able to practice enough at the house to train it out of my swing permanantly instead of having to think about it all the time on the course.

Yea there is a Dicks out here, I'll swing by there tomorrow after work, I was gonna go anyways to buy a glove so this works out perfect.

Np. Let us know if you picked some up and what you think about them.

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

I first saw them at the golf show in Pittsburgh. Picked up a couple and really liked them. I later found them at Golf Galaxy. I chip across my yard regularly- sometimes into my neighbor's yard. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but my neighbor is understanding. These balls IMO are the best practice balls.

• 10 months later...

During the winter months I hit these into a blanket in my recreation room.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Note: This thread is 2007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!