IGNORED

HIGHWAY 18 - Slow Play Is Not An Option

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh! Oh! And if that 50k is too big to fit in your wallet BQ, I'll give you a hand with that . . . and I won't even charge you for my services!

I just had an image pop into my head of a...

Blingo Wallet!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. I dunno!

And I actually wrote a letter to the USGA about this show and amateur status on 7/24. They replied back on 8/20. I actually had it posted what they said but then I realized that within the email it said that I couldn't post the contents of the email anywhere so I had to delete it! But the rules that covered it are: Rule 3-1; Note to Rule 3-1; Rule 3-2a; Rule 4-2c; Definition of Golf Skill or Reputation; Rule 6-2. Basically an amateur had to waive their right to the money. But would that give it all to the other person, or would the amount be halved? And what about the golf clubs? I am sure they are valued at more than $750.

So when the show started, I was interested in whether any of the (amateur) contestants would be willing to give up amateur status if they won. No it's not any of our business, but if he doesn't mind sharing, I know I would like to know the answer.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

And what about the golf clubs? I am sure they are valued at more than $750.

IIRC*, the clubs are irons only (AP1 or AP2). According the TGW.com, a set of AP1s (8 clubs) retails for ~$699 and the AP2s retail for ~$999.

So, I guess: (a) it depends on how the clubs are valued (undiscounted retail, sale value, wholesale value, etc.) (b) if it is retail value, Rob could take the AP1s and still stay under the $750 limit. *I know there was a "What They Are Playing For" on the GC website at one time, but now I can't find it.
So when the show started, I was interested in whether any of the (amateur) contestants would be willing to give up amateur status if they won. No it's not any of our business, but if he doesn't mind sharing, I know I would like to know the answer.

I know the Big Break competitors are required to give up their amateur status if the are accepted. (That's what Susan had to do for Big Break: Ka'anapali.) But I doubt that was the case on H18. Based on the cast bios, it looks like one partner could be pro, and the other could be am.

Pros: Charlotte, Andy, Jay, Jameica, Raul (PGA Apprentice - although from what I've heard about what PGA Apprentices get paid, maybe they should be able to keep their amateur status! ) Ams (not listed as "Professional Golfer" under occupation): Rob (Senior Financial Analyist), Parker (Insurance Agent), Peach (Kaleidoscope Maker). ???: Neither Ashley (Business Development for United States Olympic Committee - ironic considering she's Canadian and Vangroovy has the 2010 winter Olympics ) nor Ashleigh (Graduate Student) are listed as a Professional Golfer. I bet one or both of them gave up their amateur status. I think it would be pretty crappy of TGC if the pro partner couldn't take the whole prize if there was an amateur partner on the winning team. In addition to just seeming "cheap", instead of a variety of competitors, every season would end up with two pros on every team.

IIRC*, the clubs are irons only (AP1 or AP2). According the TGW.com, a set of AP1s (8 clubs) retails for ~$699 and the AP2s retail for ~$999.

I couldn't find that [What They Are Playing For] either, but the article entitled

Orlando’s Rob and Charlotte Campbell Crowned Highway 18 Champions has the list of the loot. The link is here . The excerpt is - "As a result of their victory, the Campbells earned more $100,000 in cash and prizes, which includes: $50,000 in cash, $50,000 in travel credit from Orbitz.com, a year’s supply of Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf balls, and a new set of Titleist AP1 or AP2 irons."

I don't know what the rules are for pro vs. amateur status, but would the splintered golf/travel activities featured on H-18 really count as golf at all for purposes of that rule? They certainly weren't playing stipulated rounds. So does the trick shot artist who gets a flat fee to entertain at a First Tee event, for example, have to go pro? If not, the exhibition style of H-18 golf seems to me to not be particularly far removed. But again, I don't know what the pro vs. amatuer rules state.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

• Administrator
I don't know what the rules are for pro vs. amateur status, but would the splintered golf/travel activities featured on H-18 really count as golf at all for purposes of that rule?

I was wondering the same thing - it's more a "race" than anything else. Trivia was also a factor, and that's not "golf skill."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all, I havent checked this in a while (I didn't think you all would still be posting about the show, thats exciting!). Rob did give up his am status, (everyone did), just by the chance that they won. Rob can reinstate (sp?) himself as an am now that the show is over... so he'll do that and I think he gets it back in like 2 years or something. But, Rob never plays in tournaments or anything so it didn't really affect him too much. We got our checks... boo yea!! As far as the "prizes".. no word yet... Im thinking of trying the AP1s... any thoughts, have any of you hit them? I currently have X-18s and they are larger irons and the Titleist irons seem to be pretty tiny... I'm not the greatest iron player so I need some forgiveness.. Okay, off to spend 25K!! Anyone need anything?? haha, all requests will be considered...

Taylormade TP Burner, Taylormade r7 TP 3,5, 7woods, Callaway X-18 irons, Taylormade 56, 60, Yes! Marilyn Putter, Taylormade TPRed Ball. And, a Blingo Ball mark obviously...

Thanks Charlotte!

Now everyone can apologize to me about the amateur thing! LOL

BTW Charlotte, Kitty loves her Blingo!
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

• Administrator
Also, our interview with Charlotte was published here today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey all, I havent checked this in a while (I didn't think you all would still be posting about the show, thats exciting!). Rob did give up his am status, (everyone did), just by the chance that they won. Rob can reinstate (sp?) himself as an am now that the show is over... so he'll do that and I think he gets it back in like 2 years or something. But, Rob never plays in tournaments or anything so it didn't really affect him too much. We got our checks... boo yea!! As far as the "prizes".. no word yet... Im thinking of trying the AP1s... any thoughts, have any of you hit them? I currently have X-18s and they are larger irons and the Titleist irons seem to be pretty tiny... I'm not the greatest iron player so I need some forgiveness.. Okay, off to spend 25K!! Anyone need anything?? haha, all requests will be considered...

Hey, since you play TP Reds, and you won a lifetime supply of Pro V1's, I bet you don't need them. So you could donate those to a charity, like the Small 15 Year Old Alaskan Needs Golf Balls to Play College Golf Foundation, or SFYOANGBPCGF for short

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

...and you won

Actually it was a year's supply of Pro V1 or Pro V1x balls -- "As a result of their victory, the Campbells earned more $100,000 in cash and prizes, which includes: $50,000 in cash, $50,000 in travel credit from Orbitz.com, a year’s supply of Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf balls, and a new set of Titleist AP1 or AP2 irons." -- and IIRC, Charlotte said Titleist defined 8 dozen as being a year's supply.

Actually it was a year's supply of Pro V1 or Pro V1x balls -- "As a result of their victory, the Campbells earned more $100,000 in cash and prizes, which includes: $50,000 in cash, $50,000 in travel credit from Orbitz.com, a year’s supply of Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf balls, and a new set of Titleist AP1 or AP2 irons." -- and IIRC, Charlotte said Titleist defined 8 dozen as being a year's supply.

Yeah sorry, noticed that after I posted, and after it was too late to edit it. Oops! But Charlotte my offer still stands.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Also, our interview with Charlotte was published

Good interview. Lots of topics and I was impressed the pictures were placed to make sense with the specific subject matter.

On Charlotte's blog it says she is working on her game at a golf academy every weekday, like an 8-5 job.

Charlotte said Titleist defined 8 dozen as being a year's supply.

Titleist upped it to 12 dozen... woo hoo!!! Don't know if I can switch though.. the TP balls are pretty sweet! Haven't gotten them so I can still think about it.

Taylormade TP Burner, Taylormade r7 TP 3,5, 7woods, Callaway X-18 irons, Taylormade 56, 60, Yes! Marilyn Putter, Taylormade TPRed Ball. And, a Blingo Ball mark obviously...

Titleist upped it to 12 dozen... woo hoo!!! Don't know if I can switch though.. the TP balls are pretty sweet! Haven't gotten them so I can still think about it.

If you decide that you don't want the Pro V's the Small 15 Year Old Alaskan Needs Golf Balls to Play College Golf Foundation welcomes any and all donations of Pro V's

Here's what I play:

You really did well.

You two held together and kept your composure under some unreal circumstances.

It was certainly a fun show to watch....glad I don't have to engage in foot races with my golf bag clanging around over my shoulder....knees, ankles, back.....OUCH!!!!

Again....congrats to great play and an awesome win.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

If yall saw the show, you will definatley know Andy and Parker. Well i actually know parker personally, he dated my sister. and Andy is also a good fried of mine. Parker helped coach my junior year baseball team when we won the State Championship. really cool down to earth guys
Whats in the bag:

Bag:
Driver: r7
Sasquatch 3 and 5 wood r7 irons 4-AW54 and 56 degree wedges 52 degree wedgePutter: Ball: E6 Pro V1xLowest Round: 69

Note: This thread is 5035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!