IGNORED

PGA Tour: How do the "Tommy Gaineys" survive?

steve8820
Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

During this season I've made it a point to see how Tommy Gainey is fairing out on Tour. The last time I checked I think he had something like $30k in earnings after making only 3 cuts. Just checked the leaderboard and looks like another slow start and another potential MC this week.

My question is, how does a guy like this survive off of $30K considering travel and entry fees? Is there significant income that I am missing here such as compensation from Adams or other sponsors? Just goes to show you how tough it truly is to make it out there......

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I have thought about this also. I have tried to watch what Gainey has done this year and he has really struggled.

The only way I can see Gainey survivning is through sponsorships and endorsements.

There are two things you can do with your head down - play golf and pray. ~Lee TrevinoI Like Photography Too

i'm pretty sure players with tour cards don't have entry fees.

he's at even par right now. he just can't string together good rounds. followed him at the john deere during his first found, -2 on the front with and eagle, and he ended up shooting a 40 or something onthe back. shot a 67 day two to miss the cut by one.

yeah, its pretty much endorsments until he wins more. but wasn't his total on the Tar Heel Tour around 40 k? so he's played poorly this year and made almost as much money as he did played the mini tours.

hope he bounces back

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

He did make over 100k in one of the mini tours from what I've heard. Add sponsorships and no entry fees, and he's probably making a decent living....playing golf.

He also has about $9,000 on the Nationwide Tour as well in 2008. Also, if he has one top-20 finish, he will go over the $100,000 mark. Surely, after the FedEx Cup Playoffs, he can get a decent finish at one of the lower-profiled PGA Tour stops.

It only takes one. The sad thing is how he has started rounds at times by going -3 or -4 after the front nine. However, he always seems to crumble on the back nine and finish over par. Hopefully, he just learns how to keep it together for the full 18 and full 72.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

just goes to show you, even though we love the great game of Golf, being a average Tour Player (like 2 gloves) isn't all that it's cracked up to be imho.....

he's at 63rd with an even par 71.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Who is Tommy Gainey? Is he a member here or something?

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Who is Tommy Gainey? Is he a member here or something?

He was a member on The Golf Channel's Big Break reality show a couple seasons. I believe season four was the first one, and the other one slips my mind (maybe six or seven). He wears a golf glove on both hands, so everyone calls him "Two Gloves." He qualified for the PGA Tour through Q-School this year.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It isn't talked about but a lot (not all) of golfers come from well off situations moneywise. It may not be obvious, but somehow there are connections which help out. It can be sponserships, or a part time job that pays very well. Friends help out, in-laws, etc.

Let's face it, most of these players could make more money in other ways, but they have a dream.

Question: Do they have to pay for hotels, rental cars, food, air flight, what is comped and what do they pay for?

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Thats a good question RX, I'd like to know aswell.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Question: Do they have to pay for hotels, rental cars, food, air flight, what is comped and what do they pay for?

The only thing on that list that I think they get for free, is a courtesy car. And I'm not even sure if ALL of the players get that every week. And don't forget, they're paying a caddy every week. Even if they miss the cut, that caddy's costing them 800 - 1000 no matter what. Then the caddy also gets a percentage of earnings each week, on top of that fee. Plus, they do pay an entry fee. (someone asked that) But I don't think it's much.

The only thing on that list that I think they get for free, is a courtesy car. And I'm not even sure if ALL of the players get that every week. And don't forget, they're paying a caddy every week. Even if they miss the cut, that caddy's costing them 800 - 1000 no matter what. Then the caddy also gets a percentage of earnings each week, on top of that fee. Plus, they do pay an entry fee. (someone asked that) But I don't think it's much.

exactly, and can you imagine if he has a family to support? say 2 kids a Wife , Mortgage, etc.........I mean unless your in the upper level of Tour Players it is hard (down right difficult) for a few seasons to get yourself established, if you can at all.......

I would say if I were a guy that just stayed in the Top 100-125 each year though, I'd be a rich man. Big difference between those guys, and the guys juuuust a little bit further down the line.
Even if you were one of those "strugglers" on the mini-tours, or an on-again/off-again tour player...I think we'd all give our left jewel to do it. I know I would.

It isn't talked about but a lot (not all) of golfers come from well off situations moneywise. It may not be obvious, but somehow there are connections which help out. It can be sponserships, or a part time job that pays very well. Friends help out, in-laws, etc.

Strangely, I believe that the top players have their flights, hotel stay, car travel etc 'comped'..whereas the lower ball players, like Steve Marino, have to pay. The bigger the name, the more interest there is from the media and thus more revenue is generated. Thats not really fair on the lower league players but thats how it works in my view. Its all about incentivisation!(

).

I know of a journeyman "tour pro" that finally retired from golf a few years back. He was always going back to Q school, playing in qualifiers, mini tours etc. He rarely made the cut on the PGA and was always in the bottom 25% of the money list.

That being said... His titleist endorsement was 250K a year. Couple that with his PGA earnings, Nationwide and mini tour winnings as well as any other endorsements and he did more than fine in the actual realm of things.

There are also career mini tour players that make over 100K a year... thats not too bad all things considered.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Even if you were one of those "strugglers" on the mini-tours, or an on-again/off-again tour player...I think we'd all give our left jewel to do it. I know I would.

I wouldn't, to be honest with you (and not bragging) if I dedicated myself more now I know I could bring my Cap down to the single digits, but I don't want to, I don't go to the range, I play roughy once a week (don't touch my clubs unless I'm playing) and more times then not I only play 9 holes......and I'm happy shooting in the mid-high 80's low 90's everytime I play....... to me playing on the Tour and dedicating myself to be the best would be too much time where you have to hit 1000 balls a day, take care of myself physically and just to much time away from my Wife and 2 small children, it wouldn't be for me....it would be work instead of a hobby as it is now for me. But I know that's not everyones desire, it's mine.....

...I think we'd all give our left jewel to do it. I know I would.

It would have to be the right one for me……the wife staked her claim on the left.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!