IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread is kinda pointless.

User1- The Ignorant: "Scotty is the best putter ever, everyone should use one. If you try a SC, you will never use another putter again"
User2- The Rational: "That is wrong. I've tried 100 putters and like the Walmart putter best"
User3- The Analyst: "Technically, there is no difference from a SC putter to any other high end putters"
User4- The Hater: "SC is scamming you, they don't make good putters. I've tried every SC putter and all the Odyssey putters are better"

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This thread is kinda pointless.

Agreed. This question can only be answered on a person to person basis, there is no set answer

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

It's easy to answer this question.....

If you are looking for a high performance putter at the lowest cost, SC is not the choice for you.

However, what SC is marketing the "art" of a putter. The uniqueness, customization, rarity, etc. Good marketing that has created a special loyalty to SC's. If this is important to you, then they may be worth it to invest in one.

I like my SC but am not crazy enough to buy $48 SC ball markers or $1,000 Circle T's. But, I'll swing $300 or so for a putter that I will use for 10+ years.

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

I think Golf Digest summed up the Scotty's best in their Equipment Issue this year in reviewing the Studio Select:

"This is simply how a blade is supposed to look. Makes you feel like you were born to hold it."

BUT

"The original Anser from 1966 might be just as good."

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking to buy a classic heel/toe putter without an insert. I really like the Scotty's, but I'm not sure it's worth dropping 3 bills on a putter. I like to keep my putters around for a while, so I'm looking to buy a 10-15 year putter. The other model I liked is the Ping Karsten series.....thoughts? I hear Scotty's Custom Shop calling my name....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

To me, $300 on a putter is much more reasonable than $300 for a driver which a lot of people don't question. At your handicap, you're probably around 30 putts per round. After 10 rounds that's only a $1/stroke. After that, its free.

Before someone else has to restate the obvious, let's get it over with... no putter is worth 50 cents if it isn't right for you. Try all different putters, etc. etc.

I feel somewhat assured that if you're taking the time to get other opinions on whether or not to invest a certain $ amount in a putter that you're serious enough to find the one for you.

If its a good putter for you, get it, you won't regret it. You'll love it every time you take it out of the bag and start your walk to the green. Its just a classic piece of equipment that I'm sure you'll be proud of.
What's in the bag...

Driver --- G15 9* Aldila Serrano
3 Wood - Sumo2 15* Aldila NV
5 Wood - Versus 19* Mitsubishi Bassara 83Irons ---- X-Forged 4 - PWWedges - Vokey S.M. 52.08, 56.08 & 60.08Putter --- Futura PhantomBall ------ Tour i(s)

It's a putter, there is no more personal club in the bag. Go and try as many as you can without looking at the price. Buy what feels best. Maybe that's a $300 Scotty, maybe that's a $20 Ram.

My Scotty is worth it to me because of the solid feel, true roll and, most of all, the weighting and balance. It's exactly what I was looking for in a putter.

One advantage to get a Scotty is, as you mentioned, the ability to customize it. But that's no primary reason to buy a putter. Again, it's about feel.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Ping Karsten putters. But...they have been around forever and are popular for a reason, I suppose. Another milled face putter to try that I think is an exceptional value is the Cleveland Classic milled putters. They go for $70 or so.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

Putting is clearly my weakness. I have no doubt I would be a single digit handicapper with a valid putting game. I've tried mallets, i had an odyssey white hot. I've also tried the simplest, I had a Ping Tess model for a while. I never really tried the heel/toe models, but after I rolled a few it felt so much better than anything I've ever tried, so I have to get one. I looked at the cleveland classic, some people said it compared to a scotty, but the head felt really big for some reason, like I was putting with a brick. Anyways, with my lack of funds, I pulled out the only heel/toe model I have for my round tonight. It's a Budweiser Ray Cook model that I got as a teenager. I drained some lengthy putts so I've gotsa be savin up for somethin solid......

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

Went through a knee re-injury 1.5 yrs ago......couldn't golf for a while.

I didn't want my game to suffer, though, during the layoff. I found I could still practive putt at a nearby course with a sweet practice green. Thing is, I had to modify my stance to a more upright and natural stance, no crouching, no pain in the knee. This led to a host of changes...most of which were spurred on by reading Stan Utley's putting book.

I came to realize during this period that putting was the game within the game and that I could bogey most holes by slapping the ball off the tee with my modified full swing that didn't stress my knee. The bogeys and pars come from 2-putting or better.

It is during this time that my wife and son gave me my Scotty for my 40th birthday present. It fit my new stroke perfectly. I've never been happier with my putting. My new home course has some really large and fast greens at times and this is a huge asset. I don't sweat things once I'm on the green....gettting there is sometimes a struggle....

I also started using spinnier balls that really respond well to wedgwork. I'm sacrificing some distance, sure, but the short game results are worth it. Another thing about using these is the feel is muted off the putter if you don't lighten that grip pressure and feel it with your fingertips.

Since these changes 1.5 years ago I've been through many high dollar drivers, too many to mention without extreme embarrasment. One putter has stayed, and will stay in the bag.

I'd place more value on having a putter that fits you and feels right than any stick in the bag. Don't get hung up on brand...too many good ones out there. Find the one that suites you best.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I have owned two Scotty Cameron putters and I bought both used. I like them, but remember that a putter has to fit you and not the other way around, where you try to fit the putter. At the end of the day the equipment is only 10% and if you are a good putter you can putt with anything and the equipment is a small part of the putt.

I switch from a two ball odyssey putter to a Yonex ADX blade putter and loving it! there are other companies that are making putters from a single billet of material similar to Scotty Camerons that you might consider for half the price. but if you want the name and status, then you need to get a Scotty Cameron it get it out of your system.

But after you buy it, you might be suprised to find it may or may not be your favorite putter.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

It really is a matter of preference.

If the Scotty instills confidence on the greens and decreases your putts per round then yes it is worth $300. However if you just worry about how much you spent on it and it doesn't improve your putting then no it is not worth the price.

I tested probably 20 different putters before settling on the Rife Antigua, and so far this year in 4 rounds my putts have dropped from 33 putts per round last year to 28 putts per round this year so for me the Rife was the right putter

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

IMHO, they are definately worth it.... I have 2, one for slow greens and one for faster greens.....

What's in my Stand Bag.....
Driver: 909 D2 8.5 Graphite Design YS-6
3-Wood: 904 F 15 Rifle Shaft
Irons: 2-PW 690 MB Blades
Wedges:Spin Milled 54 & 58 degreePutter: TeI3 Newport LongneckBalls: Pro-V1xFavorite Golfer: Nick Watney

I think any putter is worth it if it gives you confidence while standing over the ball. That being said, just because I putter is an expensive milled version doesn't mean that it'll make you putt better than a $20 used putter. A good putter will putt well with anything, and a bad putter will always be hopeless mo matter what they are holding in their hands. As long as it fits your physical size and your putting stroke, it shouldn't matter what name is stamped on it.

I have my fair share of putters, but I do have that one putter that fits me right and feels very comfortable. Sometimes that's the first putter you pick up; sometimes it's the 100th putter after searching for years.

got my newport on ebay about three years ago for $150....

now it sits in my garage.......I went back to my Ray Cook Blue Goose 3.......

I just like the setup and feel better than the Newport.

I purchased a used YES putter last weekend, and went to the yest factory here in Denver yesterday... I was talking with their "tour" rep who was fitting me, he fits the tour players M-W, then goes and works with the rest of the world Thurs and Friday... Anyway he was saying that Scotties are either the only ones or are one of the only companies that make putters with 4*'s of loft... Most of the other companies have 2* or very close... anyway his point was that with 4* of loft it will take more time for the ball to get rolling. With 2* of loft, it'll roll even faster... Something that YES says their "C" grooves help to do as well... I have noticed a huge difference since using the Yes putter. I did ask him why so many Tour players play the Scotties if they don't produce the best set of putting circumstances? His reply was simply that they are clearly the most lucrative contracts out there for tour players. Not sure how much was true, but it was interesting insight from someone who works with them 3 days a week! As I was walking in to get fit, he was finishing his text to Kevin Stadler congratulating him on his round!

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

at one point I had about 15 Scotties..yeah I'm crazy..but I was actually collecting them so I guess it's a little different..anyways I ended up selling all of them..and went for a about 2 years without any big brand name putter..I was using some ugly no-name brand. for the time being..and yes, it felt the same and my score did not change..but I just recently got another Scotty..why? because it's a Scotty and you want something nice..that's about it.

they are most definitely worth it, just in the confidence factor. If you buy a scotty you wont need to buy a new putter until you buy your next scotty ten years from now. best golf equpitment investment I have ever made. I have the newport detour and putting has become my strong suit since getting it

I brought my scotty newport 2.5 this year and it is fantastic,the best putter ive had,ive had a few odyssey putters,but the scotty (to me) is that bit better...and if looked after,it will last years,so its a win,win move,i say go for it..and i swear to god my first ever stroke with it was a 20 foot birdie...

In my Sport II cart bag or my R9 stand bag
Irons-Tour burner R/5-Sw,60 lob wedge z groove
Driver-R9 Supertri R/10.5
09 Hybrid #3 R/19
09 Hybrid #4 R/22Putter-Method 001,Length : 34 Ball-Those round white ones...

Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!