IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really like my scottys .

I think they are very good for feel on longer putts.

But they are VERY soft thus can get damaged rather easily if you don't take good care of them.

The price I think is too much though. $200 is ok. not $300

scotty cameron are fantastic putters. but so are many other brands. like a lot of people will say on here, it is all preference. if it feels right for you, go for it. I personally love my scotty. sending it in to their custom shop here soon hopefully. I just love the soft feel of the scotty. I've must of tried a dozen putters throughout the past few years and have settled on a scotty. the price shouldn't matter when you buy a putter, just worry about if it will help you sink a putt.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Thats really a personal decision.  At the end of the day, its just a putter and its only as good as you are with it in your hands.  If you sink more putts with it, then its worth it.  If not, then it isnt.

Im of the mind that Camerons are overrated but if you like them, want one and can afford it, why not?

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/15021/master-scotty-cameron-putters-worth-it-or-not-thread

Merged. Thanks. Send a PM to a moderator in the future if you can be troubled (we know it's a hassle, but if you have the time it's appreciated).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 9 months later...

Clearly there is something here, because every other guy on tour uses one, and they seem to be in almost every bag of premier equipment you see at your local club on the weekends.  But I just don't get the Scotty Cameron putters.

Back in the 80s, Ping putters (anser, mostly), Bulls Eye, and Wilson 8802 were in everyone's bag.

In the 90s, it was still mostly Ping--but Odyssey reigned for a while late in that decade.

Now, it's all Cameron.  Putters used to cost about $75, and the price gap between a top-of-the-line and the others was maybe 40-50%.  In the 2000s, most putters were about $100-$125, and Cameron was the only one (of the mainstream brands) charging crazy $200+ prices.  Now, the Camerons are in the $250-$350 range, and an Oddyssey or Ping costs you about $160--but you can still get a Wilson blade for $99.

It's still just a putter.  Remember that crazy football-sized thing that Nicklaus used in the '86 masters?  Ben Crenshaw used an 8802 style putter most of his career, and he's one of the best putters of all time.

Someone please explain why we need to pay over $300 for a putter, when the only technical specs that matter are a square, flat face and steady hands.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Reminds me of a certain golf ball that's out there. I think it ryhmes with Crow See. Although the anology might be better if the "Crow See Won" was $9 a ball.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I feel like the only reason Odyssey charges nearly $200 for their two-ball putter--the exact same putter which sold for $110 about six years ago--is because Cameron putters fly off the shelves at $300.  It's almost like the other companies have to raise their prices to bridge the perceived quality gap.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

I feel like the only reason Odyssey charges nearly $200 for their two-ball putter--the exact same putter which sold for $110 about six years ago--is because Cameron putters fly off the shelves at $300.  It's almost like the other companies have to raise their prices to bridge the perceived quality gap.

Most unfortunate for us eh!  My solution is to buy second hand only but I realize that this is not for everyone.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 1 month later...

Browsing golfsmith.com during my lunch break and see the new SC putters are available for pre-order at $350 a pop.  Do people really spend that much on a putter? I haven't looked into putter technology in a few years, but do putters do other things than just hit the ball when on the green?  Do they feel that much better than old putters? Do you make more putts?

Or are you just buying a $50 putter with a $300 dollar name? Or is it something that you can look cool in front of your friends with? "Hey guys, check out my new Scotty Cameron putter. Aren't I the greatest?"

For $350 this putter better make 100% of putts without me even looking at the hole or any type of alignment, clean my other clubs, and serve me beer. Now that would be a technological achievement.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Scotty putters automatically make you a better putter, didn't you know?

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Of course the Scotty putter won't do all that for you, but it's like driving a Porsche or a Pontiac, both get you were you need to go, they just have a different price tag.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

@Minibluedragon,
So the rumors are true. Good, all this practicing putting to get better was really a drag.  So I can order one of these and just be great. Excellent.

It's just like brand new clubs that cost twice as much as the previous years version make you twice as good.  The world makes sense now.  Who needs practice when you can just buy new stuff that automatically makes you better.

Thank you Minibluedragon. My eyes are now opened.

In My Bag:

@lumpuckeroo
I forgot to mention that I am poor so the price seems very steep for one club.  In all honesty, I could probably buy a rubber headed putter from a putt putt course and do just as well as with the SC putter. Maybe that's just because I'm not that great a putter, but it seems like you would just have to practice with whatever putter you have and you could be good.

In My Bag:

I have been using the same putter since 1998 and it was given to me by my dad who used it since the early 90's. I love it and have had it re shafted but its still the same head. I have tried scotty's and odyssey's but have always come back to my Ping anser 2.

You can see with the newer milled putters and front weighted putters that the ball starts to roll fast with less bounce but then again Corey Pavin won with a 80's bulls eye putter this year.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!