IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

absolutely no t-shirts or home made jean shorts(cut off) should be allowed. what's wrong with old fashioned? oh yeah, and a good shave and shower before the round should be mandatory too.

So we're going to ban people with long hair and beards? That makes a ton of sense.

I voted good for the game, but to an extent. I wear cargo shorts (nice ones) and a cheap polo to the course usually. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. I'm all for not allowing jeans, jean shorts, wife-beaters, etc. However, some places take it too far.

I think that dress codes are a good thing, but I also think it can be taken too far. I think that you should try to look halfway presentable (no wifebeaters, sleeves shirts, bluejeans or sandals), but I dont think that you should have to show up like you are dressed to go to church or to some fancy restaurant.
Personally, when I play golf I wear a polo shirt and khakis. I like to try to look nice because IMO golf is a gentleman's game and you should dress accordingly. However, as long as someone dresses neatly and wears clothes that look presentable, I dont see why they should be denied access to a golf course.
  • Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

My vote goes for good for the game...but then again I guess it all depends on what you deem to be an appropriate dress code VERSUS what the course in question deems appropriate.

In conclusion - I determine what I wear using the forumula A + B where:
A) What the weather is
B) What the dress code is

If there's no dress code, don't play at a muni if it upsets you to see people in cargos.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

So we're going to ban people with long hair and beards? That makes a ton of sense.

My sentiments exactly.

And dress codes are like $100 concert tickets...it weeds out the trash...lol

Presentable? I can wear a t-shirt to university, to see my grandmother, walking down the street, but not at a golf course?

What ugly past? Golf has a great history. It's a great game that teaches honor and integrity. In what other game do the players call penalties on themselves?

If you really respected the game and its storied history, then you would understand why people who do see normal ragged street clothes are totally inappropriate for a golf course. Its the same reason why people get dressed up for special occasions like weddings, funerals, holiday parties, etc. Every time I get to play golf its a special occasion. Yep I play nearly 100 rounds a year and every time I play its special. I wouldn't show up at a wedding in a tee shirt and jeans so I won't wear them to a golf course either.
If there's no dress code, don't play at a muni if it upsets you to see people in cargos.

One, I don't have the money to join a club or pay $75+ a round at some resort course. And two, I have no real problem with most cargos. Its the tank tops, sleeveless shirts, nasty t-shirts, and gym shorts that bug me. Call me old fashioned but I still believe its the clothes that make the man. Some of these people come to the golf course wearing clothes that look like what I wear to do yard work.

I don't think every course needs some strict dress code, I would just like to see collared shirts and no gym shorts become the norm at all golf courses. Cargos and jeans would be fine at your local muni.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Without getting into it too much, I think dress codes are good for the game. Pros look more professional wearing pants, and so do some club golfers.

I don't think it'd be good if EVERY course had a strict dress code, but I'm glad some do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What ugly past? Golf has a great history. It's a great game that teaches honor and integrity. In what other game do the players call penalties on themselves?

The first part of your post is simply ignorant. You know exactly what I am referring too. Golf in many places, until VERY recently, was a game of the rich, and of the white.

It's great that you put golf together with weddings, funerals, and religion. However, most people do not. Why should we all have to dress the way YOU like to dress on the golf course? Again, I have nothing agains't dressing up. But if others don't want to, let them be. I feel that most people read the poll and think to themselves. Hey, I think its fun to dress up so I'll vote that dress codes are good for the game. Without really thinking about it.

it makes sense, just not to you. a beard is a beard. unkempt and unshaven is an entirely different matter. i would bet these people tend to not repair ball marks, throw cig butts on the course, along with their beer cans. did you notice the poll was about 7 to 1?

My Blog

it makes sense, just not to you. a beard is a beard. unkempt and unshaven is an entirely different matter. i would bet these people tend to not repair ball marks, throw cig butts on the course, along with their beer cans. did you notice the poll was about 7 to 1?

Thats a sad post.

• Upvote 1

nico, i agree with everything youve said. NVM, get a clue. the ones who dont fix their divots, ball marks, whatnot, are the ones who have the same holier than thou attitude you have. they feel someone else can do it for them instead.

dress codes keep young, underpriveleged (read-black) youths out of the game. same with tennis, hockey, anything else that has a high cost to play. putting a dress code on top of the already escalating greens fees is harmful for the game, IMHO.

peace.

Colin P.

Such a stereotypical post I don't even know where to begin.

I have longer hair. It's nothing like Charley Hoffman or that length, but I have a shaggier hairstyle. I wash it daily and I comb it in the mornings, it's well-kept. I also often go to the course with scruff on my face. I have a fairly decent/thick growth of facial hair and I don't shave daily. I'm sure not going to shave it quick when my buddy calls me at noon to go golfing. Sorry, deal with it. And guess what!? I repair all ball marks/divots when I make them, I don't smoke, so I don't throw cig butts anywhere and I don't drink beer on the course, just water and when I'm finished with my water, I recycle the bottle.

The first part of your post is simply ignorant. You know exactly what I am referring too. Golf in many places, until VERY recently, was a game of the rich, and of the white.

You're calling me ignorant? Look at the history of most sports and you will find they started and played by rich white people. MLB didn't have any black players for how long?

You're a fool and have no place on a golf forum if you do not see golf as a special game. To look at golf's history and see nothing but that shows who you are. No wonder you want to dress like a slob. And look at the poll at the top. Most people agree with me. In fact a HUGE majority agree with me so I would say MOST people do see it as a special occasion. Don't make excuses for why people voted the way they did. Even at my muni most people dress correctly, its only the few people like yourself that show up looking like fools.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

colin,you're on the wrong track, it's not an "holier" issue. it's respect. if you don't even respect your appearance, the tendency is to not respect much else. sure there are snobs who look good but are a@@holes,but that's a different kettle. the "holier" theory is not even germaine to the discussion. and that's my OPINION.

and jrode, you are 1 person. i said "people like that TEND.....", obviously you're not one of them.

My Blog

You're calling me ignorant? Look at the history of most sports and you will find they started and played by rich white people. MLB didn't have any black players for how long?

If you truly belive that golf is just like any other game when it comes to racism and stereotyping, then yes, you are ignorant.

I love golf, but it has an ugly past that has nothing to do with the actual game.

nico, i agree with everything youve said. NVM, get a clue. the ones who dont fix their divots, ball marks, whatnot, are the ones who have the same holier than thou attitude you have. they feel someone else can do it for them instead.

Funny, I gotta tell you the African American players at my course are some of the best dressed players I see. And I guarantee people like me ALWAYS take care of the course.

The crappy ragged tee shirts and baggy jeans I see kids wearing today are not any cheaper than a nice polo we sell at the course. Are you really going to tell me that some kid is not going to take up golf because they couldn't afford a collared shirt and a pair of properly fitting khaki shorts? Come on. You sound silly.

colin,you're on the wrong track, it's not an "holier" issue. it's respect. if you don't even respect your appearance, the tendency is to not respect much else. sure there are snobs who look good but are a@@holes,but that's a different kettle. the "holier" theory is not even germaine to the discussion. and that's my OPINION.

It's a tendency?

How many people that fit the description you posted are doing the things you said? Throwing cigarette butts around, dropping beer cans everywhere and not fixing divot marks? Because I guarantee that the number of people you say won't matter. Do you know how many people in the world play golf? Your example of five people you've seen doing it doesn't make it a tendency. Also, I don't see a problem with smoking on the course if that's your thing, just make your cigar or cigarette finds it's proper resting place. Don't drop it in the middle of the course.

Funny, I gotta tell you the African American players at my course are some of the best dressed players I see. And I guarantee people like me ALWAYS take care of the course.

God. Yes, practically everyone that plays golf can afford a polo. Thats not the point.

Note: This thread is 1335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!