IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I agree golf needs to come into the 20th century with its dress code. Tiger Woods would be violation the dress code (and thus unable to play) at 95% of the golf courses in this picture.

You are wrong. Most courses now have changed their dress codes to include mock turtleneck golf shirts. There are a few courses that still make people have collars but I would say the percentage of those would be well below 10% and probably all private.

Personally, I don't like being termed an "idiot" and a "slob" because of what I wear to a golf course. Most of my golfing is done usually immediately after a class at any muni that happens to be open, and i'll play wearing whatever I wore to school. I usually don't happen to have an extra pair of khaki pants or a collared shirt in my car to change in to, but I never though anybody would care as long as it wasn't against the course rules. I think your stereotypes are a bit rude and of limited validity.

Limited validity? I guess for some people dressing properly is just too difficult.

I still love this argument. I started this thread way back when and it still cracks me up when people use this argument. "I replace my divots, blah, blah, blah so I can dress how I like." Ridiculous! Like I have said on several other occasions on this topic. 1. People dressed improperly for the golf course are far less likely to take care of it. 2. People dressed improperly cause problems much much much more often than people dressed nicely. I work at a golf course. I see it everyday. Don't even pretend to try and tell me that it's not true. The reason behind that fact is that people who know the rules and know correct golf etiquette are far more likely to show up dressed properly. I mean its right there in the dress. Correct golf etiquette in itself STARTS with showing up at the course in proper attire . If you cannot start the round with correct etiquette chances are you're not going to get any better as the round progresses. Sure there are exceptions to every generality, so I don't need twenty stories about some jerk you played with dressed to the nines, but the fact remains better dresser = more golf etiquette. Ask ANY pro-shop employee anywhere and they will agree, if they have any class. And also please stop with the its too hot to play in a collared shirt argument as well. Todays golf shirts have so much time put into the technology of keeping a player cool that its even more ridiculous than the above argument. My golf shirts are 10x more comfortable to play golf in than a t-shirt. They were designed to function well on a golf course, t-shirts were not.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think dress codes on the golf course are good. Personally, I wear slacks to work and find them extremely comfortable so I often wear them on the course. Do shirts need a colar? In my opinion if the shirt is a nice, presentable shirt then not necessarily, but I don't like seeing people out there in gym shorts and wife beaters either.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

You are wrong. Most courses now have changed their dress codes to include mock turtleneck golf shirts. There are a few courses that still make people have collars but I would say the percentage of those would be well below 10% and probably all private.

Let's see.... although I was already certain, I just read Section I - Etiquette in the Rules of Golf before posting. There is NOTHING in there about a dress code. Not one word.

I work at a golf course too, and I can't say that I've observed any particular relationship between apparel and knowing anything about the rules.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My main point in posting was that there was no need for you to be insulting. Let's just say that a dress code was implemented, would it change how the "idiots and slobs" conducted themselves on a golf course? I think not. We would just have douchebags who are dressed in a more "appropriate" manner continuing to trash our course.

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

Just out of curiosity, who determined what the proper course attire was?

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

My main point in posting was that there was no need for you to be insulting. Let's just say that a dress code was implemented, would it change how the "idiots and slobs" conducted themselves on a golf course? I think not. We would just have douchebags who are dressed in a more "appropriate" manner continuing to trash our course.

I think the hope is that the "idiots and slobs" would decide not to play where dresscodes are enforced.

In my bag:

Cleveland Hi Bore XLS 8.5* X Stiff
Mizuno MP 650 13*
Halo 22 Deg Apex Plus 4-E Apex Plus Gap Wedge CG15 54 Deg CG10 58 Deg Anser 4 ProV1x

Sorry, NM, but if all you've got is your anecdotal observations, please don't try to pass them off as facts that end the discussion. Different people have different anecdotes, and that sort of "evidence" is so heavily biased that it's borderline worthless to start with. It's fine to contribute them to the discussion, but you can't just shout at the top of your lungs and expect everyone to suddenly agree.

You also seem to miss the point of the argument about behavior on the course. As someone who's advanced that, and as someone who detests dress codes in golf and more broadly, let me try to clarify why I think it's an important point.

The reason I (and others) bring it up is that I don't see how you can argue that dress codes are important without it. The arguments I see being made are (1) I like to be around people dressed "well"; (2) if people dress well, they'll have better etiquette; and (3) we don't need a reason, it's a private club. I'm not going to touch (3), and I think (1) is pretty weak. Different people have different ideas of dressing well, so it comes down to trying to argue that because people have "always" dressed that way for golf, that needs to continue to be the dress code, and I think that's very short-sighted.

So (2) I think is the strongest argument. Basically, you can say that a dress code, regardless of what it is, will encourage other rules of etiquette to be followed. My point is that if you are interested in people following the other rules of etiquette, then focus directly on those. If someone is being inconsiderate, destructive, etc, then educate them or give them the boot, as appropriate. Using dress code as a proxy for this is an inefficient way and will discourage people who don't happen to come from backgrounds where "golf attire" is comfortable from picking up the game.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I think the hope is that the "idiots and slobs" would decide not to play where dresscodes are enforced.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or they would pick something else to do. I don't think that golf should be elitist and unavailable, but at the same time I really don't want to share the course with someone who is really not out there to enjoy the game either. If golf is really something you want to do and enjoy then you should have no qualms about putting on a polo and a decent pair of pants. If thats too tough for you then your not really cut out for the sport.

Let's see.... although I was already certain, I just read Section I - Etiquette in the Rules of Golf before posting. There is NOTHING in there about a dress code. Not one word.

No you probably wouldn't.

You are right there is nothing on the USGA rules site about attire. There is a dress code for all USGA championships though. There is also one for professionals. Golf professionals have a strict dress code and since they are the keepers and growers of the game I would just as soon dress as they see fit. You know good and well there is a correct and an incorrect way to dress. You just like to dress like a slob and argue saying its alright.
Sorry, NM, but if all you've got is your anecdotal observations, please don't try to pass them off as facts that end the discussion. Different people have different anecdotes, and that sort of "evidence" is so heavily biased that it's borderline worthless to start with. It's fine to contribute them to the discussion, but you can't just shout at the top of your lungs and expect everyone to suddenly agree.

Nice job of tiptoeing around the point. Never said making people dress nicely would make them act correctly. But enforcing a dress code definitely keeps certain people out. I know for a fact that the courses around here that enforce a dress code don't deal with nearly the amount of idiots we do. And when I say "keep people out" I mean people who are not interested in the sport, but are really just looking for a place to drive a golf cart like its a 4x4 and guzzle as many beers as possible in 5 hours. A dress code keeps out the guys who don't know how to act and are just out on the course to cause havoc. Just like a dress code does at a bar a restaurant or anywhere else for that matter. We get way too many of those types. If someone becomes interested in golf and wants to learn the intricacies of golf then they should have no problem getting ahold of proper attire. Someone who loves golf, its history, and what it stands for should have no issue with getting a little dressed up to play it.

I have repeatedly said it. Golf is special. I see the overall dress of our nation go in the toilet and I have hope that golf might evade the same fate. What is so wrong with a dress code. What is so wrong with wanting to show some respect for the game through dress and expect somewhat the same from others. In a time where every male under the age of 25 seems to want to show me his boxer shorts I would like the golf course to be my one safe haven. See thats part of the problem today. I see dressing nice as showing some pride and respect. Too many people see it as being exclusive or old fashioned or antiquated. Just like they are beginning to see other things as old fashion like manners. It does do my heart some good though to see that most people like dress codes. Gives me faith. But then again people on a golf forum are much more likely to be serious players as opposed to the general public.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

I don't think that golf should be elitist and unavailable, but at the same time I really don't want to share the course with someone who is really not out there to enjoy the game either. If golf is really something you want to do and enjoy then you should have no qualms about putting on a polo and a decent pair of pants. If thats too tough for you then your not really cut out for the sport.

While I don't disagree that there should be a basic dress code at every course, there isn't. Your anger should not be directed at those dressing correctly.

It should be directed at the courses that don't institute it. By taking out your anger on those that are not following a dress code when one does not exist, you come off as that elitist golf snob who talks about "back in my day." I'm not saying you are but you need to understand the position of those golfers. They are following the rules as set by the golf course . They are not dressing how you (and certainly me) would like to see. It's tough apples for guys like us. Lastly, different parts of the country dictate what you see. I played a muni in Arizona and guess what? A dress code. All the munis, with the exception of one here in NY that I play, don't have dress codes. So while plenty of golfers still dress neatly, you'll have some that come out in basketball shirts, sleeveless shirts and sandals. What am I going to do? Not play? Believe me, I would rather play with a good golfer wearing a tee shirt than seeing a well-dressed guy walk away from a putt to purchase a beer from the golf cart while there are two groups waiting. Yeah, both are rarities but they exist. As a pro who works at a golf course, maybe you should write the USGA and find out how feasible it is to institute a dress code. I'm hopeful that even those are going to horse around will follow it.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Dress code is great for the game, makes it a gentlemens game or Women. A little class is good IMO.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

If golf is really something you want to do and enjoy then you should have no qualms about putting on a polo and a decent pair of pants. If thats too tough for you then your not really cut out for the sport.

No. What I know is there is the way you like to dress. I know I disagree with you. Sorry, take a look outside your little world. Different people dress differently for equivalent occasions. I'm sorry that you don't appreciate that. Maybe it's best if you stay in your little private club world after all.

Nice job of tiptoeing around the point. Never said making people dress nicely would make them act correctly. But enforcing a dress code definitely keeps certain people out.

No. I am not tiptoeing around anything, I'm apparently just not making your point for you. I think the idea of keeping people out based on their dress is very sad. Want to keep them out because of something substantive? I agree, and that's why I keep bringing up the points of etiquette that directly affect others' games. I don't like my ball landing in an unfilled divot any more than you do, but I'm perfectly happy sharing the course with someone who dresses differently than I do.

And when I say "keep people out" I mean people who are not interested in the sport, but are really just looking for a place to drive a golf cart like its a 4x4 and guzzle as many beers as possible in 5 hours. A dress code keeps out the guys who don't know how to act and are just out on the course to cause havoc.

Wow. I'm not even going to respond to this.

If someone becomes interested in golf and wants to learn the intricacies of golf then they should have no problem getting ahold of proper attire. Someone who loves golf, its history, and what it stands for should have no issue with getting a little dressed up to play it.

Wow, your logic is out of this world. If I ever find the world where it makes sense, I'll let you know.

I am interested in golf. I love to play the game. I like to do so in such a way that respects the rules, the course, and the other players. But I don't see what loving "it's history, and what it stands for" has to do with that. I certainly detest some parts of golf's history -- there is no denying that its history in the US (and to some degree, it's present) is pretty closely tied to some unpleasant elements of racism and religious discrimination. And none of this has anything to do with trying to meet your (or anyone's) particular opinion of what is or is not slovenly attire.
I have repeatedly said it. Golf is special. I see the overall dress of our nation go in the toilet and I have hope that golf might evade the same fate. What is so wrong with a dress code. What is so wrong with wanting to show some respect for the game through dress and expect somewhat the same from others. In a time where every male under the age of 25 seems to want to show me his boxer shorts I would like the golf course to be my one safe haven.

Fine. I disagree. Why should your opinion trump mine?

See thats part of the problem today. I see dressing nice as showing some pride and respect. Too many people see it as being exclusive or old fashioned or antiquated. Just like they are beginning to see other things as old fashion like manners.

Fashions, means of showing respect, etc, shift over the years. If you didn't adopt some habits that made your parents and grandparents tear their hair out, you are in a very slim minority. Every and I mean *every* generation feels what you express in this paragraph. We all feel that *our* values are the "right" ones to some degree-- after all, we adopted them. However, I think trying to force the next generation to conform is a losing battle, and unfair to that generation.

Still, your point is somewhat tangent. It's possible to dress differently and still show respect.
It does do my heart some good though to see that most people like dress codes. Gives me faith. But then again people on a golf forum are much more likely to be serious players as opposed to the general public.

I'm very serious. Lousy, but serious. And I detest khakis and collars. Sorry. Somehow it doesn't threaten me that not everyone wants to wear a t-shirt on the course, though.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

when im working... its pretty much a given that im in a suit... i dont mind... i look sharp...
i even had a super that came dressed on casual friday looking like he just finished mowing the lawn... needless to say... he was the talk of the company for a good long time(the butt of many jokes) very inappropriate
ive been a surfer all my life... so wearing boardshorts or a wetsuit is like second nature... ive seen guys (attempting) to surf in jeans before... its hillarious...
ive played golf since i was a kid... and my attempt to imitate the pros... had me wanting to look the part even if i didnt play the part...
if "looking" like a "golfer" is that bad... or "looking" like you know what you are doing is that much of a turn off... then you should play where nobody cares... sorry to say its usually at "hackers" courses...
if you showed up at work and everyone is in business suits... and you walk in wearing a very comfy leisure suit... you'd get laughed at...
if you showed up at pipeline and paddled out on a pool raft wearing a comfy pair of boxers... the lifeguards wouldnt even let you in the water...
even at really relaxed/no dress code/"hackers" courses... i still dress the part... i like looking like a golfer... is that so bad?
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

when im working... its pretty much a given that im in a suit... i dont mind... i look sharp...

Not bad at all, it's good. Unfortunately some people just refuse to throw on a polo at all costs, and will write book-length posts trying to defend it. Sad really.

No. What I know is there is the way you like to dress. I know I disagree with you. Sorry, take a look outside your little world. Different people dress differently for equivalent occasions. I'm sorry that you don't appreciate that. Maybe it's best if you stay in your little private club world after all.

I'm not a member at a private club. I don't buy your different people dress differently argument. You are not the first person in this thread to try the "lets embrace diversity" crap. This has nothing to do with diversity. Golfers dress in golf attire. What you do outside the course is up to you. I don't care.

Wow, your logic is out of this world. If I ever find the world where it makes sense, I'll let you know.

My logic makes sense to approximately 85% of the people on here so what planet are you from? Find any sport thats been around as long as golf that did not suffer from some form of racism or discrimination at one time. Funny you should bring that up. It basically makes my point that you don't know or respect the game. The game stands for honor and integrity. That is what I was talking about. Its the only game where the players are left to call penalties on themselves and know right from wrong without the aid of a referee.

Fashions, means of showing respect, etc, shift over the years. If you didn't adopt some habits that made your parents and grandparents tear their hair out, you are in a very slim minority. Every and I mean *every* generation feels what you express in this paragraph. We all feel that *our* values are the "right" ones to some degree-- after all, we adopted them. However, I think trying to force the next generation to conform is a losing battle, and unfair to that generation.

Its one thing to find you identity and another thing entirely to just toss values right out the window. You can show individualism and be a class act at the same time. I did my fair share of rebelling in my day I have the tattoos to show for it, but I never went so far that I lost what I believed was right. I don't dress like my father at the golf course. I have my own style. Some even think its a tad loud. But its certainly in a way that respects the game.

Still, your point is somewhat tangent. It's possible to dress differently and still show respect.

Certainly you can show respect dressing differently. But I hate to tell you, t-shirts don't show all that much respect. Now don't get me wrong, I wear t-shirts all the time but I certainly realize that a t-shirt is improper dress and slightly disrespectful in certain situations. If you have such a hang up with khakis and a collar, I feel sorry for you. You are going to have a hard time ever showing much class. Hopefully you will grow out of that.

While I don't disagree that there should be a basic dress code at every course, there isn't. Your anger should not be directed at those dressing correctly.

Well said Herb!

I can't believe this thread is still going strong after all this time. I have no problem with dress codes at certain clubs - I just don't like when people judge books by their cover. Ready to hit up some BX courses in your near future? The weather is getting niiiiiice

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

No you probably wouldn't.

When did I ever say I like to dress like a slob? I wear what's appropriate for the course and conditions. I ALWAYS wear a collared shirt. I usually wear shorts when the weather allows, and some of my shorts have 6 pockets. Not baggy, wrinkled cargo shorts, but nice, neat stylish 6 pocket Bermudas. I also have 3 pairs of microfiber and 2 pairs of cotton slacks for golf, which I wear when I play in cool weather away from my home course. The only time I wear anything remotely improper (in your opinion, not mine) is when I wear jeans to play the course I work at, and I only do that for casual rounds when it's cold and sloppy. For tournament play I dress like you would require a golfer to dress. I do prefer neat and proper attire for most of my time on the course, and if my course instituted a ban on jeans (unlikely), I'd be the first to endorse it.

My biggest issue with your dress code rant is your feeling that the clothes make the man, and that is so wrong that I can't even begin to enumerate the reasons. The man (and the way he acts) is what makes the man, and judging anyone solely by how he dresses is bigoted and discriminatory. I would love it if it was as easy as you seem to think it is to classify people, but nothing in life is that simple. Tying a bow on a pig doesn't make it a French poodle.

Rick

When did I ever say I like to dress like a slob? I wear what's appropriate for the course and conditions. I ALWAYS wear a collared shirt. I usually wear shorts when the weather allows, and some of my shorts have 6 pockets. Not baggy, wrinkled cargo shorts, but nice, neat stylish 6 pocket Bermudas. I also have 3 pairs of microfiber and 2 pairs of cotton slacks for golf, which I wear when I play in cool weather away from my home course. The only time I wear anything remotely improper (in your opinion, not mine) is when I wear jeans to play the course I work at, and I only do that for casual rounds when it's cold and sloppy. For tournament play I dress like you would require a golfer to dress. I do prefer neat and proper attire for most of my time on the course, and if my course instituted a ban on jeans (unlikely), I'd be the first to endorse it.

I take back the slob part, I merely assumed someone so against a dress code would not follow one. But you know what they say about assuming.....

My biggest issue with your dress code rant is your feeling that the clothes make the man, and that is so wrong that I can't even begin to enumerate the reasons. The man (and the way he acts) is what makes the man, and judging anyone solely by how he dresses is bigoted and discriminatory. I would love it if it was as easy as you seem to think it is to classify people, but nothing in life is that simple. Tying a bow on a pig doesn't make it a French poodle.

I don't judge people by what they wear. Not even at the golf course. I might disagree with someone's mode of dress, but I hardly judges one's character by it.

Clothes don't necessarily make the man, but they should match the occasion. We live in a society where moral ambiguity seems to grow by each passing day. The standard of dress today is despicable and sometimes borders obscene. It seems that any reason for anyone to don anything more than a ratty t-shirt and a wrinkled pair of jogging pants have all but disappeared. Do you think this is a good thing? I think its great that so many golf courses still hold on the the belief that golf should be enjoyed dressed nicely. You can argue all you want but dressing nicely is a way that you show respect or that an event is special. Respect is why people get dressed up for graduations, weddings, and the like. It comes down this I do not judge people by how they dress. I am not even going to tell anyone their business when they come into my course dressed poorly. I simply think that people should dress more appropriately when they play golf. My opinion nothing else. I do have one question for the 15% or so against dress codes, though. It makes me wonder why anyone would see dressing up as a bad thing. What does that say about you? I would like that explained if any of you can.

I take back the slob part, I merely assumed someone so against a dress code would not follow one. But you know what they say about assuming.....

I agree with your comment about general apparel habits, especially with young people these days. What ever started the stupid trend of showing one's underwear? That has to be the most disgusting lack of taste I've ever seen in publicly worn clothing. I won't even call it a "fashion"... that's too dignified a word for it.

But, that said, I don't see that at the golf course, even the very liberal muni where I work. The totally uncouth type of person who calls that appropriate for public display isn't the type who's going to play golf anyway... golf isn't usually going to be a cool enough activity to get his interest.

Rick

Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!