IGNORED

Hunter Mahan: open mouth, insert foot.

RichF
Note: This thread is 5744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 - He said what most of the players are thinking.

1 - And this is

precisely why the USA has been spanked 8 times out the last 11. I guess things just aren't what they used to be (pre-1985) anymore, eh? 2 - Why does this not surprise me? 2 - I can just hear those players right now: "My time is worth money so instead of playing Ryder Cup I'm going to play in the, ahem, Viking Classic - I need that 1st-prize of $648k" . Basically, you're making feeble excuses for a guy who represents the worst thing about sports today: pure greed.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

But hey, don't ask me about - ask Hunter!

'Hunter Mahan tries to clear air with Paul Azinger as Ryder Cup place is threatened
Rising American star Hunter Mahan has gone into damage control following his controversial comments about the Ryder Cup.
Rising American star Hunter Mahan has gone into damage control following his controversial comments about the Ryder Cup.

Mahan, who told Golf magazine that the players were treated like slaves during Ryder Cup week, has already contacted American captain Paul Azinger to express his desire to make the team for September’s contest in Kentucky.
“I talked to him afterwards and assured him my comments had nothing to do with making the team, nothing to do with the Ryder Cup,” said Mahan, 11th on the American standings.
“I want to be part of that team and, hopefully, bring back the cup. I think he was understanding of what I was saying and understood that I wasn’t misquoted, but it was kind of the wrong context. I have no idea what he’s thinking. It could hurt my chances. I don’t know.”
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

What I think upsets most folks who read or hear his comments is the fact that they are scraping by to put gas in their tanks and pay the mortage while he gripes about playing golf and eating dinners.

That's exactly my gripe with his comments. He plays golf for a living and it's a pretty good living at that. No one likes complainers to begin with, but gripe about someting meaningful. Horrible playing conditions, preferential treatment to stars, unfair rules etc... (just hypothetical examples btw). Don't gripe about a few elaborate dinners that honor these golfers and the countries they represent.

And to use the word "slaves" is poor judgement at best. I've never seen a slave drive luxury sport cars or own mansions.

Wow. What a pampered, spoiled little brat. And by brat, I mean a guy who thinks he deserves the best because he plays great golf.

I don't look for guys to root against in golf, but Mahan is joining Sabbs and Goosen on my list.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Sorry, they are slaves?.... What a horrible and disrespectful thing to say.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I don't look for guys to root against in golf, but Mahan is joining Sabbs and Goosen on my list.

Haha why Goosen?? He got struck by lightning lol.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

Most people that have replied to this topic seem to be missing the point here. The Ryder Cup is supposed to be about playing golf. It's not supposed to be about big dinners, kick-off parties, etc. The Europeans seem to embrace this idea, and they play better because of it. That's not how things should be though. If the golf world wants to make The Ryder Cup about "golf," things need to change. I guarantee you would see different results if the golfers got to stay in their normal week-to-week routine.

Like Mahan said, the golfers will eventually get tired of it and start shying away from playing. If that does happen, that will be a sad sad day. Just cut the crap and let the guys play golf. I could care less to watch the opening ceremonies. I do, however, enjoy watching every "golf shot" hit during the week.

On a sidenote, I hope Mahan wins this week at Firestone or at least contends and puts himself back on the team. Then I'd like to see him stick it to the Europeans by going 4-0 or 5-0 in spite of all he said.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's quite sad if this is something that would make you cheer against a golfer, but to each his own.

I like that he's speaking up and saying the truth.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Although I don't really have a problem with what was said, it's interesting how something is almost always 'taken out of context' when it's realized what you said could come back and bite you. I don't understand why he would put himself in that position so close to the Ryder Cup while knowingly in the running for a spot or a captains pick.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

He said what most of the players are thinking. I can't find fault with anything he said.

I think the players should stop moaning in all fairness. They make a fantastic living from the game and i don't think it would be too much to ask for them to put themselves out for a week.

two ways to look at this.....first, hunter mahan needs to respect the fact that he was born with a special, special gift that allows him to make millions playing the greatest game going...the ryder cup goes deep with golf history....you ought to be thrilled with the chance...humble....and then

I would like to see the U.S. win as well. However, if Hunter is speaking for the players (I think it's a small minority) and they feel like the RC takes them out of their natural rhythm or, it's a time or moeny issue or... whatever the mojo complications, they will surely reap what they sow. I hope Coach "Zinger" can focus them in the right direction, they come together as individuals and teams, and they score. I just want to see good golf. And, lately at the RC it's the Europeans that come to play.
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Most people that have replied to this topic seem to be missing the point here. The Ryder Cup is supposed to be about playing golf. It's not supposed to be about big dinners, kick-off parties, etc. The Europeans seem to embrace this idea, and they play better because of it. That's not how things should be though. If the golf world wants to make The Ryder Cup about "golf," things need to change. I guarantee you would see different results if the golfers got to stay in their normal week-to-week routine.

So, you're saying the Europeans

are better at eating massive dinners and smashing the USA at golf? Remarkable.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

I believe that every golfer has the option to play or not play. I do remeber a year that Sandy Lyle made the Euro team and he opted out saying he was just playing to bad to be there. Same thing goes for Hunter.
My opinion Euro will definitely win again.

I like that he's speaking up and saying the truth.

Yeah - and the truth is...the USA players can't deal with big dinners before a game of golf for a little cup and no prize-money.

We never heard anyone complaining about The Ryder Cup in the 60s, 70s or 80s. Oh hang on - that's because the USA always won The Ryder Cup in the 60s, 70s or 80s. And the penny drops...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Mahan would fit right in on Cap'n Azinger's Foot In Our Mouth's Team. Zinger had a few kids throw some rocks at him along a jogging trail in Westchester during one of his first tournaments after he beat cancer and said to the press something to the extent of, "what do you expect from people in NY?"

He's been off my Christmas list since then.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

I still don't understand how telling the truth has anything to do with sticking a foot in a mouth. It's actually refreshing to see golfers speak their "honest" opinions about such matters. It gets old watching the Phil Mickelson "BS" approach.

• Administrator
Sometimes professional athletes need to put things in perspective before ranting, they are in the public eye so are held more accountable for anything they say or do.

These same guys are also held accountable for losing. Let's see how you react - how anyone reacts - when put in a situation in which you're expected to succeed, hampered in your ability to do so, and then bagged on for failing.

Just because he makes money, he's not exempt from being able to complain. C'mon.
I still don't understand how telling the truth has anything to do with sticking a foot in a mouth. It's actually refreshing to see golfers speak their "honest" opinions about such matters. It gets old watching the Phil Mickelson "BS" approach.

Ditto.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!