IGNORED

Celebrities At Your Home Club?

Dent
Note: This thread is 5490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, I've got a name. He's even in the news right now, co-defendants lining up to testify against him.

When I'm in Miami I frequently play Calusa Country Club, a modest public course that my parents play all year.

Earlier this decade I saw O.J. Simpson all the time on that course, dozens of times. It's in the Kendall area not far from his southwest Miami home. He would play with the same guys almost every time, and a buxom blonde named Kristi normally following -- but not playing -- in a separate cart.

O.J. has a choppy swing but decent short game. He struggles to ascend even the low tee boxes.

Needless to say, it was awkward as hell. O.J. would hold court in the restaurant, rambling about anything and everything. His voice carries beyond belief. When O.J. was in there, my parents and I would grab our hot dogs and chips to go, between nines. When he was absent we'd munch in peace.

I'll never forget the first time I saw him. I was on the 3rd hole, a relatively long par 3, admiring a 5 iron from the back tees, slightly left of target but hammered. While I was watching my shot in the air, my mom -- always lacking finesse -- started "whispering" my name very loudly, then, "...look, it's O.J. Simpson."

I turned my head and O.J. was walking smack toward me from about 20 feet away, on the far left side of the 6th hole, in the rough approaching his ball. He had heard my mom and was shaking his head a little bit. Obviously that type of thing happens all the time with him. We had eye contact for a few seconds and I managed an awkward nod of the head.

O.J. played Calusa regularly until Katrina hit in 2005. People tend to forget that hurricane struck South Florida first as a minor storm before heading into the Gulf. A twister destroyed the Calusa clubhouse and the course was closed for about 6 months. They use a trailer now for a makeshift clubhouse and I haven't seen O.J. there since the course reopened.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some soccer guys play in my golf course. Now with the new season starting, they won't be here all that time though. They are great guys.

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

Trace Adkins played near you! I would have loved to see that! Jeez, I think I would feel honored if he even played up the road from my course.

Yeah. Last year around this time. He was playing at the county fair and wanted to get a round in before he left. I guess he's an avid golfer. My brother was on the course at the same time but never saw him. He was bummed when he found out. lol

I don't belong to a club, but I was taking a lesson a week ago at a course I sometimes play and the pro was going through swing videos. I saw Stephen Colbert of the Colbert report on the list. I asked if that was actually him and the pro, who didn't know the about show until he met Colbert, said yes.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My friend saw Bush Sr. play. said bush sliced it onto the fairway my friend was on then all of a sudden a motorcade of golf carts swing around so he can come hit the ball. Said there was about 8 golf carts with secret service and friends.

• 2 weeks later...
ESPN's main offices and broadcast center are fairly close by, so many of their executives and TV personalities live in my area, several are members at my home course. I often see guys like Karl Ravech (Baseball Tonight), John Anderson (Sportscenter) etc. on the course. Got paired up with John when he first joined the club couple of years ago, very nice guy and fun to play with. I'm sure these guys play with sports stars sometimes, but probably mid-week late-morning kinda stuff when the course isn't busy.

909D2 10.5º Ozik X-Con 5 Stiff
949MC 14º Blueboard 73 Stiff
20º 4DX-3IWS Ironwood Stiff
AP2 Project X 5.5 (4-PW, 51º GW)
Vokey 54º-10 Spin Milled X-Tour 58º-11 PM MDByron Morgan 006 Oil Can putter

I've caddied for Mike Eurizione a few times at TedescoCC.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

We have a lot of professional athletes at my course. I am not going to get into names, but ...

Ummm, wasn't that the point of the thread?

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

In the 1990's I lived in Las Vegas and belomnged to Spanish Trail. Among our members then: Andre Agassi, Greg Mattox, Robert Goulet, Smokey Robinson. I once got paired with Joe Pesci who was playing as a guest.

Steve Stricker. He is from my hometown, he designed the course and he still plays there from time to time.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I've caddied for Mike Eurizione a few times at TedescoCC.

Now that is SICK!!!

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

This isn't my "home course" but one I used to play on a monthly basis a few years ago: The University Club near Columbia, SC. It was one beauty of a course....27 interesting holes, excellent greens....gem of a course.

It is home of the SC Gamecocks....don't show up with other schools logos on your gear or you'll be heckled about it. I know this because I showed up with East Carolina Pirates towels, headcovers, hat, etc. At the time we were whupping them in football on a regular basis.

Anyway...I've seen Lou Holz, George Rodgers, Shannon Sharpe, Sterling Sharpe and others playing there.

My father is a member of a course in Moorehead City, NC. The other day he was on the range warming up and someone pointed out to him that one of there other members was at the other end of the range warming up, too.......the fella was Curtis Strange....sort of neat.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

O.J. has a choppy swing but decent short game.

I heard he has a wicked slice

In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Roger Clemens owns a home in my neighborhood. He plays out here a few times a month and he is about a 2.5 handicap. I've seen him at the range and I've passed by him in my golf cart when he was on his way to the first tee, I said hello and he said "How ya doin?"

Of course he hits it a mile, I would too with all the HGH and steriods he has put into his body.

What's in my bag

Driver Dymo Squared Str8Fit 9.5
3 wood SZ 3 wood
Irons: 710 AP1Wedges: 52* oilcan, 56* oilcan spin milled Putter: Blue Chip OZ Ball: NXT

Note: This thread is 5490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!