IGNORED

Examples of Raw Talent You've Encountered on the Course?

dragonflyin
Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you ever been paired with someone who had tremendous raw talent that goes unrealized? I'll go first so you know what I mean.

Yesterday I played a round with a bunch of college students. One of the guys, a rather stocky fellow used his 3 iron as driver for all 18 holes. He consistently hit it 270 yards. It was an ego check for me because he routinely matched my drivers down the fairway. Also, he had decent touch around the greens, but hit many bad approach shots since he played only a few times a year. To make matters interesting, all of his clubs were quite out-dated, and I'm guessing not fitted for him.

Obviously hitting a big ball isn't all of golf, but I'm sure his swing speed makes a lot of us envious. Only if he took the game seriously, he can become quite a player. Any similar stories?

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

You sure about that 270? On shorter holes I tee off with a 3iron and hit drives longer than those with a driver. I carry my 3iron about 220/230.

Driver: 4DX Tour 9°
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: J33 Combo
Wedge: 56°
Putter: Pipe PP/002Ball: Gamer

I played with a guy from New York the other day, it was only his second time playing but he could slam the ball. He had old Ping Irons but the ball would just take off like a rocket.

He had an amazing approach shot as well. Unfortunatly alot of his shots were big slices.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

You sure about that 270? On shorter holes I tee off with a 3iron and hit drives longer than those with a driver. I carry my 3iron about 220/230.

I'm positive... it was easy to tell since he hit his iron as far as I drove the ball. It was at a course I played often so I knew the distances well. Unbelievable isn't it? Then again, he swung with all his might on every swing, so every third or fourth shot didn't turn out so hot...

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

2 guys in my league. An 18 and a 22 handicap. They are partners (we play 2-man teams in my league). These are/were primarily baseball players. One of them played in college and they still play in some leagues (serious leagues). Big strong athletic guys.

Anyway, as far as raw ball striking ability, these guys have it all - distance and pretty damn good accuracy. They both hit their drivers dead on the sweet spot almost every time. LONG. Some real pure iron shots out there as well.

2 of the worst, and I mean WORST short games that I've ever seen though.

I got one: me. Good with my short irons, good with the wedges, great with the putter but I couldnt hit a decent shot with my driver or 3-wood if my life depended on it. I slice every shot I hit with those clubs.
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but if I ever learn how to hit my driver and 3-wood well, look out. Its just that my tee shots suck, so Im scrambling all the time. I still manage bogey or double bogey all the time though.
Im seriously considering taking some lessons because Id bet there is just some little flaw with my grip or my setup that is causing my slice.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I golfed with a guy from work the other day who could hammer the ball. He hadn't played in 5 months and he hit his first drive 290 down the middle. He was smoking a cigirate the whole round, and drinking beer, but he could slam the ball. He's small (5'9 140) but super athletic. He couldn't putt or chip though.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

About 15 years ago a business partner and I played golf with a customer that brought along his 14-year old son to complete the foursome.

He was a baseball and soccer player and had only played golf once - a par 3 tract.

Although he was ignorant of the game, he hit the ball straight enough to put the ball in the fairway 90% of the time. He did get ticked off when the ball wasn't in the middle of the fairway... his mind-set being, if it isn't down the middle it isn't a good shot. We laughed told him any ball in the fairway is a good shot and he'd appreciate it the more he played the game. He had that "touch" around the greens. His putting was not so good until my partner, a high school and college golfer, taugh him how to read the greens and line up his shots. He wound up shooting an 83.

My partner and I pulled his Dad aside and asked him why the hell his kid wasn't playing golf? His Dad said that he thought baseball and soccer were better sports to play.

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

I played with a high school kid who played baseball and he hit a drive over 300 yards over very mature tall trees onto a green on a par 4. I told him to switch from baseball to golf!

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Have you ever been paired with someone who had tremendous raw talent that goes unrealized? I'll go first so you know what I mean.

Sounds a bit like me. I was hitting my 4i yesterday and was consistently getting 250+. Switched to driver and could hit it for shit haha.

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*
MP-32 3-pw Rifle Project X 6.0
56*10 satin & 60*10 oil can Method #1

this 14 year old came out to play the other day. he's in highschool...starting his 1st year. has no aspirations to join the golf team. his dad taught him when he was younger & he just like going out to play..which is all good, but this kid could be something.

he played from the tips with us (the local pro from the range brought him out to play so he played where we were playing).
he started his 9
eagle, birdie birdie birdie par par birdie par par

then was like i'm happy. gonna go home and eat dinner now. 6 under thru 9.
i thought this kid's got serious game. next time he played with us..we played the back 9. a much more challenging layout. tighter, longer, and you have to work the ball to get good shots.
he only shot 3 under....haha yeah.. only 3 under!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I played with a 1 handicap player a few years ago and he just had that natural touch.

Otherwise I might put my father in here! Never played any sports but enjoys to sail..my brother and I had played golf for a number of years and he'd just come down to the range with us and watch. One time he decided to hit a few balls. His initial practice swings were predictably ungainly but he couldn't hit the ball anywhere but perfectly straight, whether it be with a driver, 5 iron, wedge, whatever...he didn't hit it too far (my driver went about 200-225yrds in his hands) but we said he should start playing. Problem was he travelled so much on business he rarely had time for golf. My mother even bought him half a dozen lessons but he never took them all. When I was back home last month I went down the range with him again and was still straight as an arrow.
this 14 year old came out to play the other day. he's in highschool...starting his 1st year. has no aspirations to join the golf team. his dad taught him when he was younger & he just like going out to play..which is all good, but this kid could be something.

When I hear stories like that I wonder how different the tour would look if untapped potential like that was, well, tapped...

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!