IGNORED

Do crappy players rub off on you?

kekoa
Note: This thread is 5662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hope I don't drag many people down! Since I'm coming at this from the other side, I get many invites to play with friends who are in the single digits, so it must either be for the relief factor, for the cigars and jokes, or because I don't bring a bad attitude with me (perhaps it's a mixture of the above).

What peeves me about playing with "better" people (and usually strangers who get grouped in with you), is that some instantly become Dr. Phil on the tee box. I love constructive criticism, and almost alwyas benefit from it, but sometimes, it's the biggest buzzkill going. Just hit your f!@#$%^ ball, and move along!

Does playing with first time golfers or brand new golfers mess up your round,the reason I ask is that I had family in this weekend and we all went and played Sunday and today and I did not play worth a dam either day with the constant tring to help and giving advice,chasing the stray balls and all that.Is it just me being not mentally strong enough to just play my game or does it mess with you guys as well,and I do understand its not thier fault and you have to start sometime,just asking

No. it wasn't that long ago that I was a new golfer and had the great fortune to play with more experience golfers who were very gracious and helped speed my learning. I'm only too glad to "pass it on". To my mind, that's one of the more unique and great things about golf.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Yea I had fun with them and helped them all that I could,that being said I really think it took me out of my game and was just wondering if this is my fault or is it normal for this to happen

I play better with golfers that are worse than me.. It seems to take the pressure off to have a good game...
Drivers:
FT-i Draw 9* W/Grafalloy Red
Sumo2 5900 9.5* W/Grafalloy Red

Irons: A3OS 3-PW Graphite/Steel regularWedges: A3OS GW, SW, LWPutter: Rossa Monza SpiderLittle round white thing:

Playing with new or golfers of lesser skill really doenst mess me up at all. I block it all out and just focus on my shot.
There are times when new golfers annoy me (such as when they carry on a conversation when someone is getting ready to hit), but I try not to let things like that get to me.
I try to keep the mindset of its just me vs the golfcourse and I block everything else out.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

IMO, the best way to approach a new golfer, one that you know, is to set some guidelines before the round starts. One, they are going to pick up the ball when things get out of hand. Two, you're going to let them play. You're not going to give them unsolicited advice. Three, they are always going to putt.

Looking for stray balls is part of the spirit of the game and shows good golf etiquette. That should not ruin your round of golf.

By setting some guidelines, it will make the round enjoyable for you and them.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

My BF says golfing with me helps take him back to his fundamentals (back to basics if you will), but when he really needs to work on something, he needs to work it out on his own.

This is why I'm not a golf widow:

1. I never play a course bigger than I am. Par 3s for the past several months. I'm humble that way. Not sure if it's the midwest in me, or the girl part, but I lack an ego.
2. I never bug him when he wants to play alone or with a more talented buddy.
3. He doesn't abuse number two and always remembers to take me out sometimes.

I don't consider 20+ HC'ers to be crappy golfers.

The only things that really bother me are slow play and someone giving me "tips" on the tee box.

Tour Burner TP
r7 Fairway Woods
r7 TP Irons/RAC TP Wedges
White Hot XG Sabertooth Putter

Its not the skill level per se...more the pace of play. I've played with people of varying skill levels and I've been able to play quite similarly with all - provided they're not slow as sh*t.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• 1 month later...
i play with some clowns sometimes, and they will keep hitting tee shots until they get a good one, then say they got a 5 on the whole, when they should get a 14. Yes, my game is affected, b/c im more upset with them, than focusing on my game

9.5* Burner TP
15.0* 3-wood
18.0* 2-hybrid
3-pw DCI gold
54.0* sandwedge 60.0* lob wedge 34" rossa daytona putter penta extreme golf bag and glove

I hate to admit it but yes if they act like they are better than they are. By that I mean analyzing each shot as if they are going to hit it solid. I have no problem with the duffer that plays like he is just trying to get the ball in the hole.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

There definitely is a synergistic effect between the players in a group. To me it's a players deportment, rather than how they are scoring that affects how I approach my game. If they aren't taking the rules seriously or are reacting angrily it gets to me. But really, it only amounts to so many excuses for one's own poor play. The effect is real, and in my mind no tougher than any obstacle the course itself may throw at you.

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

Playing with people with higher handicaps did have an adverse effect on me, before. However, most recently, when I resort to my preshot routine on every single shot, there has been no effect.

As I watch someone struggle, I just focus on what my goals for the hole are. I haven't updated my handicap on this site but it has dropped since I joined here due to my routines of putting, chipping and sand escapes.

My next project is dialing in distances for wedges and to reduce the utilization of the flop shot approach for a calculated and less risky 7:00 pitch with a lower lofted iron. My flop shots still work for clearing the greenside bunkers.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

Played with an annoying young man today who threw a hissy fit on every bad shot he hit (which was alot). I thought about this thread and I really tried to ignore his antics and his play and focus on my game. I thought I did a pretty good job but several holes he was very distracting and I ended up hitting some costly shots. It's just golf and I wasn't in a tournament but I hate scoring that high. Oh, to play another day!

Note: This thread is 5662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!