IGNORED

Friday at the Ryder Cup: Predictions?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 5712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The pairings for tomorrow morning's foursomes matches have been announced.

Phil Mickelson/Anthony Kim (USA) vs. Padraig Harrington/Robert Karlsson (Europe)
Hunter Mahan/Justin Leonard (USA) vs. Paul Casey/Henrik Stenson (Europe)
Stewark Cink/Chad Campbell (USA) vs. Ian Poulter/Justin Rose (Europe)
Kenny Perry/Jim Furyk (USA) vs. Sergio Garcia/Lee Westwood (Europe)

My predictions for the morning matches are as follows:

Mickelson/Kim vs. Harrington/Karlsson: Even though Padraig and Robert have had much greater success in the major championships this year, Phil and Anthony are simply the more talented pair. Phil's penchant for aggressive play will always pose a risk in alternate shot matches, but Kim's an equal match to his partner in shotmaking ability. The U.S. start the matches on a strong note. USA, 3&2
Mahan/Leonard vs. Casey/Stenson: The European pair have advantage in experience in Ryder Cup play, but neither Casey nor Stenson have had seasons to remember. These two pairs are pretty evenly matched, and I don't expect either of them to jump out to an advantage. Halved
Cink/Campbell vs. Rose/Poulter: Once again, the European pairing isn't exactly playing championship-caliber golf right now. Campbell and Cink are Ryder Cup veterans at this point, and that experience will give them the upper hand in this match. USA, 1 Up
Perry/Furyk vs. Garcia/Westwood: Let's not waste time with the analysis on this match. The Euros are going to dominate. Europe, 4&2

Those are my picks for the morning. What are yours?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I agree with your analysis.

Also, I think Perry/Furyk may have a chance. If Garcia can't keep his putter in line, then USA has an even better chance, IMO.

Should be an exciting one!

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

After looking over the pairings, I really like how the U.S. team is sitting before the matches begin. If you told 'Zinger that he'd get his biggest guns off against those two guys he'd lick his chops! The only match that I see the U.S. really not having a shot at is the final one of Perry/Furyk vs. Garcia/Westwood, but then again, we've seen bigger surprises!

Mickelson/Kim 4&3 over Harrington/Karlsson --I really like this pairing of Kim and Phil, they should feed off one another and make a great team all weekend.
Mahan/Leonard 1 up over Casey/Stenson Casey will keep them in this match all the way to the end, a halve is very possible, but I'm going to go with the gritty play of Leonard to pull them through.
Cink/Campbell 3&2 over Rose/Poulter There is simply too much pressure on Poulter, he will press early and really make it tough for Rose to help him keep it close. Cink and Campbell have been down this road and will know exactly how to keep their emotions and heart rates in check to pull out the big win.
Garcia/Westwood 1 up over Perry/Furyk Don't under estimate Perry and Furyk in this match, they are going to be one hell of a tough out for the Euros, it'll take Garcia and Westwood all 18 holes to get this one under their belt, and in the end they'll pull it out and probably gain even more confidence along the way.

I love the way the first matches look for the U.S., I really expect them to finally get off to that quick start we've all hoped they would in years past. Honestly, if finally feels like the shoe is on the other foot, the Euro team is the one with all the expectations and pressure to win, the U.S. can go out and have fun and win some points along the way. We're all going to look back and wonder how we felt that the U.S. would lose. Maybe I'm just showing my patriotic side here, but I really like 'Zinger's squad and his first matches. I'm sure he is very pleased thus far.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Phil Mickelson/Anthony Kim 1up (USA) vs. Padraig Harrington/Robert Karlsson (Europe) I think that is a great pairing for the US, looking for a dogfight anytime Harrington (who is the best player in the world right now) is involved, I think the PM, AK pair will come out like a top fuel dragster and win this great match though
Hunter Mahan/Justin Leonard 1 up (USA) vs. Paul Casey/Henrik Stenson (Europe) another great pairing by Azinger
Stewark Cink/Chad Campbell (USA) vs. Ian Poulter/Justin Rose 3 and 2 (Europe) the Euro's are more solid in this matchup
Kenny Perry/Jim Furyk 1up (USA) vs. Sergio Garcia/Lee Westwood (Europe) USA all the way, Perry is on a vision quest with a rock solid competitior at his side in Furyk, I can hear "Lunatic Fringe" playing right now...

Damn, do I love the Ryder Cup, and DVR!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

To be honest, I am finding these predictions quite funny... I mean lets be honest everyone must of been raving about the Woods/Mickelson pairing... imo we should just wait and see how the matches pan out, golf is an impossible sport to predict.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Mickleson/Kim vs. Harrington/Karlsson EU 2 & 1
Mahan/Leonard vs. Casey/Stenson EU 2 & 1
Campbell/Cink vs. Poulter/Rose US 1 UP
Furyk/Perry vs. Garcia/Westwood EU 2 & 1

Reason: For me, these pairings appear to be player requested pairings. I agree with that philosophy. But check the stats. Mahan/Leonard don't hit from the same places. Perry played like a tired player the last couple of months. Harrington won 2 majors and Karlsson is fresh from a win.

My big concern is Furyk. His wife's back is hurting, that could weigh on his mind and play the entire cup.

By 11:30, the last of the 4 pairs should be playing Hole #9. By that point, it'll be apparent whether the EURO's dominate once again or the US is actually going to make it a contest.

I hope I'm wrong. But my crystal ball says EU 3 - US 1. The US will have to be grinding uphill the rest of the way.

Match overall: Wishful thinking: US 14.5 - EU 13.5. Prediction: EU 15 - US 13.

Mickelson/Kim vs. Harrington/Karlsson: I'll be watching this one closely as I believe the Mickelson/Kim duo will have to play well throughout the tournament for the U.S. to have a chance.

Mahan/Leonard vs. Casey/Stenson: I like Mahan/Leonard in this one. Both guys are great shotmakers. Hopefully, Mahan will put them in good position to score off the tee and Leonard can sink a couple of clutch putts.

Cink/Campbell vs. Rose/Poulter: This is the match I see the U.S. being most dominant in. Mostly because Cink has been so solid this year and Poulter is playing on the other team

Perry/Furyk vs. Garcia/Westwood: Doesn't look good for the U.S. here, but what a shot in the arm if Perry/Furyk manage to pull it out!

I predict 2-2.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I don't see Karlsson and Harrington getting beat 3&2, Harringtons going to be flying high after his performance in majors, and Karlsson has been very consistant on the European tour this year and is coming form a win last weekend.

I think the Mickelson Kim combo may be one looks stronger on paper.

We'll have to wait and see!

Phil Mickelson/Anthony Kim (USA)

Match 1: The teams are about equal on paper here, but Harrington has been playing weak lately, and Mickelson never does well in foursomes (Oakland Hills, anybody?) so I'll say the match, led by Kim and Karlsson, is

HALVED . Match 2: Four solid players will duke it out here. Ultimately, I like the steely nerves of Casey and Stenson slightly more than Mahan (a rookie with added pressure because of his earlier comments) and Leonard (who has a terrible Ryder Cup record without a win on his resume), so EU, 1 UP . Match 3: Well, Poulter and Rose may be well dressed, but I'm not confident in their play at all. Poulter has had a very mediocre year except for the Open Championship (and will be playing with the added pressure of being a debatable captain's pick), and Rose seems to shy away from big occasions. Cink and Campbell, on the other had, are solid. US, 3&2 . Match 4: Perry's been cold, Furyk is distracted (and rightfully so) because of his wife's situation, and Westwood will ride the wave of a streaking Sergio Garcia, who, in addition to his Ryder Cup prowess, has played top-notch golf this summer. EU, 4&3 . So, those are my predictions for Friday foursomes. It comes out with Europe leading 2.5-1.5. Should be a great morning that foreshadows a classic Sunday finish.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

It’s the halfway point of the morning session. For US squad, the situation is already dicey.

USA 1 1/2 Europe 1/2 Leonard/Mahan 3 & 2 Stenson/Casey Mickelson/Kim AS Harrington/Karlsson
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

After the morning session, full credit goes to Azinger's pairings and keeping the US in the matches for the first time in a long time. That makes my earlier morning alternate shot prediction wrong. Match play is way unpredictable. The earliest Mr. Perry plays next is Day 2, 4-Ball.

Even with an expected EURO charge this afternoon, the matches seems that it'll be competitive into Day 2 for once.

No matter whom one is rooting for, perhaps we’re going to have an exciting competition for once. Yes!

The afternoon fourball matches are just getting underway, but I don't have access to a TV at the moment, so I have no way of knowing what's happening. The afternoon matches are:

Phil Mickelson/Anthony Kim (USA) vs. Padraig Harrington/Graeme McDowell (Europe)
Steve Stricker/Ben Curtis (USA) vs. Ian Poulter/Justin Rose (Europe)
Justin Leonard/Hunter Mahan (USA) vs. Sergio Garcia/Miguel Angel Jimenez (Europe)
J.B. Holmes/Boo Weekley (USA) vs. Lee Westwood/Soren Hansen (Europe)

My predictions for the afternoon matches:

Mickelson/Kim vs. Harrington/McDowell: As the opening foursomes match concluded, the American team really hit its stride, while the Europeans faltered. Harrington gets a new partner for the afternoon, but the momentum carry over from earlier and the fact that the best ball format is much more appropriate for Mickelson's playing style makes me think he and Kim will hold the upper hand. USA, 2 Up
Curtis/Stricker vs. Poulter/Rose: The English duo may have lost their first match, but the two handled themselves a lot better than I had anticipated. The fact that Faldo kept them together, and that neither partner on the opposition played in the morning rounds, puts the two men who wish the Euro PGA had shelled out for snazzier outfits on top. Europe, 2&1
Leonard/Mahan vs. Garcia/Jimenez: After a shaky start, the American duo completely overpowered Casey and Stenson in the morning match. Europe has reacted by pairing Sergio and his compatriot against the surprise story of the day thus far. Leonard and Mahan are facing a tougher opponent this time, but I think both sides will hold their ground. Halved
Holmes/Weekley vs. Westwood/Hansen: I love Azinger's call to put these two players together. I'm underwhelmed by Westwood's performance in the morning, and even less enthusiastic about the idea of Soren Hansen being the spark plug. USA, 1 Up

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

And of course, by the time I finish my post and refresh the browser, I find out that Mickelson and Kim are already 3 down.

I'm pretty impressed with the U.S. so far, but there is A LOT of golf yet to be played. My favorite pairing by far is Mahan/Leonard, and it was very nice to see them play well together. They are up early in the afternoon as well (after one hole anyway). There hasn't been a ton of great golf being played so far, but that's understandable for a Friday at the Ryder Cup.

I'm looking forward to another exciting afternoon, and I'll be surprised if Europe doesn't close the gap a little going into tomorrow.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

An interesting morning!

Was it me or did it seem every time I looked up someone else put the ball in the water?

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

An interesting morning!

Yep - it was either ball-in-the-water or a 20ft birdie.

Some awesome golf being played by both teams today.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!