IGNORED

Justin Timberlake on Golf Digest Cover

JYB
Note:Β This thread is 5676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Is it just me or is this the most awful thing i've ever seen?

I read the interview and it barely has ANYTHING to do with golf. It's more about Justin Timberlake and the "obsession" fans have with him and then how he deals with that along with the relationship he has with his stepfather than the article has anything to do with golf.

Let me also say that this is a really, really disgusting attempt by golf digest to turn it's magazine into Details or GQ. Come on, let's get real : Golf Digest is a GOLF MAGAZINE and unless they cut the crap, i'm going to move to another publication instantly and never look back.

Nah, I like to see some celebrities in the magazine. I think it's a good thing.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8Β°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54Β° and 58Β°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

He's on the cover because

1) He sells magazines.
2) He's a five handicap.
3) GD did a listing of golfing musicians and their HC. Thus, the tie-in.

Plus, he bought a public golf course and is in the process of refurbishing it. He loves the game and is giving it back.

Like him or not, I think it's a great thing that anyone who talks about doing something actually puts his best foot, forward.

Plus, anything that increases the participation of younger people playing golf is a good thing. Better to be out on the course or range than sitting on the sofa eating bon bons, playing Xbox and getting fatter.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

Is it just me or is this the most awful thing i've ever seen?

He's on the cover because

Good point JYB. If Timberlake has a strong connection with golf, the article should demonstrate this, just not babbling more of the same 'fluff' about a celebrity. Although, as golf_junkie27 rightly points out, Justin Timberlake's celebrity sells magazines; that benefits the publisher (not the consumer) and is not JYB's point.

The golfing consumer who parts with his/her hard earned money for a golfing magazine should receive value for it, rather than feeling swindled after finding out the feature article has no real connection with golf.

He's also the host of what used to be the Las Vegas Invitational, throwing back to the days when celebrities put their names on golf tournaments all the time.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5Β° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17Β° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20Β° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60Β° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I think it's a great thing for golf as with Tiger out, they are looking to fill that void. It would probably be Tiger on the cover anyway. Overall, it gets more people thinking about golf who aren't that hard core like us here.

They say "If you don't shoot good, at least look good." With JT, he does both. They need to get Tony Romo on their. How talented is that guy??? Star NFL QB and low handicapper. WOW

Β Β Β Β Β  910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
Β Β Β Β Β  710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
Β Β Β Β Β  Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

Β 

Β 

Although, as golf_junkie27 rightly points out, Justin Timberlake's celebrity sells magazines; that benefits the publisher (not the consumer) and is not JYB's point.

Brad,

The article talks about golf. He's purchased a public golf course in his hometown of Memphis and is in the process of upgrading it. It's actually a good article. As for him being on the cover, GD did a listing of the top golf playing musicians. They do this for athletes, actors, politicians, too. JT is a tie-in to that listing.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

great, go ahead and keep sucking celebrities off in this bullcrap american celebrity driven culture.

By Justin Timberlake (not his real name, guranteed) being put on the cover of GOLF DIGEST, that publication is feeding into the same crap that keeps this country down - if you're not famous, then you are nothing.

I would like to see GD put one of YOU, one of the READERS on the cover. that would be a change, instead of putting a small, d*ckish pop singer decked out in J. Lindeberg on the cover.

Seriously - if you can relate to Justin Timberlake, than good for you. You're obviously wealthy beyond imagination and have sex with multiple women with STD's. But for the majority of the country, Justin Timberlake has nothing to do with life and nothing to do with GOLF.

Wow, never seen such hate over a successful marketing campaign. It sells magazines, the dude loves golf.

What's in my Bagboy Revolver cart bag:

Polarity MTR Irons 2&3 (hybrid) thru PW
R7 Burner Draw Driver 460cc
R7 Burner 3 Wood 5614 Vokey Wedge Tour Chrome Studio Select 1.5 ProV1's

Seriously - if you can relate to Justin Timberlake, than good for you. You're obviously wealthy beyond imagination and have sex with multiple women with STD's. But for the majority of the country, Justin Timberlake has nothing to do with life and nothing to do with GOLF.

What were the ratings on the Torrey Pines celebrity/am competition? As long as we're talking about Justin Timberlake having nothing to do with golf, I figured we should talk about that time a round of golf he played was on national TV.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
By Justin Timberlake (not his real name, guranteed)

You'd be wrong about that.

being put on the cover of GOLF DIGEST, that publication is feeding into the same crap that keeps this country down - if you're not famous, then you are nothing.

That's your take on it. Suffice to say I feel differently, and I think you're reading into things a weeeeeee bit too much. And also suffice to say, I don't need to be famous to have self worth.

Seriously - if you can relate to Justin Timberlake, than good for you.

I haven't read the article yet (I don't think), but if I like it I doubt very much it will have anything to do with "relating" to Justin Timberlake.

You're obviously wealthy beyond imagination and have sex with multiple women with STD's. But for the majority of the country, Justin Timberlake has nothing to do with life and nothing to do with GOLF.

Wow, and that's where you go off the deep end. And JT's got a lot more than "nothing" to do with golf whether you want to admit it or not.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd rather see an article about a celeb who is a good golfer and gives back to the game, versus yet another article on how to add 20 or 40 yards to my drive. Frankly, these lists of the 'best 100 entertainers who golf' and the like really irritate me, too. But the interview was at least a bit interesting and appropriate.

How about more articles like the one in the same issue on bunkers...articles on golf architecture? or maybe feature municipal golf a bit more, maybe a reasonably priced muni course of the month? GD is headed the right direction with a few newer features.

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

perhaps where you're from, self worth doesn't have to do with celebrity but that's not the case in New York.

secondly, if i wanted to read about celebrity musicians, i would buy rolling stone, GQ, Details or any one of the thousands of magazines that deal with this kind of crap.

i read golf digest because i want to learn about GOLF, not hear about Justin Timberlake or Francis Ford Coppolla or Cameron Diaz, etc. etc. etc.

Why was Justin Timberlake picked to play in that match? Why was Tony Romo? They're both sponsored by J. Lindeberg and they're both big name celebrities, right? Uggh, basketball doesn't do this kind of crap to bring people into that game do they? They don't put one of the Backstreet Boys on the cover of SLAM do they? I don't get why Golf has to sell its soul to the devil in order to bring in new players.

I started playing golf this year, for the first time, at 23 and i certainly didn't do it because of seeing some celebrity on a golf magazine and btw, if i don't represent the "youth" generation, then nobody does.

If you want to bring people into the game, then give them a chance to see it, experience it. Most of the time, golf is way to expensive for people to get involved in so putting Justin Timberlake on a cover of golf digest and defending that with, "it will bring young people into the game" is absolutely retarded.

great, go ahead and keep sucking celebrities off in this bullcrap american celebrity driven culture.

aww,,did you not get picked for president of the Justin Timberlake fan club?

wow

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff
.......CLK FLI-HI 3(20*) & 4(23*) Hybrids
.......4-PW MP60 DGSL 300's Stiff SVT 52* Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 54* Wedge CG10 Black Pearl 60* Wedge XG White Hot #1 Putter ProV1, Prov1x, NXT Tour Aerolite III Stand

By Justin Timberlake (not his real name, guranteed)

I hate to tell you but you are wrong... His uncle is the GM for the Clearwater Threshers (Phillies Minor League Affiliate)... and his name is John Timberlake.

Finally I would say he is pretty relevant to golf considering he is the host for the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open. It doesnt matter if you like him, his music or not... He has been doing alot for the golf and its community.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Haven't read the article yet (I think my postman is stealing my issues), but seriously - what's the big deal?

He loves to play the game and if I double check my numbers, yep, he's got money that he's WILLINGLY investing in the game...GASP...for the better!

Just because he's a celebrity in another entertainment business doesn't necessarily mean he can't serve as some sort of ambassador to the game of golf.

Kind of ironic though - aren't you an aspiring model?

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Wow, so much hatred for something so minor. I would say you have some issues you need to address.

I'm a 30 year old guy who happens to like Justin Timberlake. Not his music or anything, but he seems like a nice guy. I liked reading the article about him. At least my daughter and I have something in common now :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8Β°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54Β° and 58Β°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Note:Β This thread is 5676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!