IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It would have to be a very good team, but yeah, I can see it these days.  Of course, they tend to over estimate too.....

I played with a local HS kid a couple of weeks ago.  Number 2 on a pretty good team, playing off a 6 hcp.  He was a good 20 yards longer than me.  Call it 250-260ish carry.  Firm fairway and he might get it out close to 300 a couple of times a round.

Forget roll......the question is how far do you carry your driver.  Hell, even I'll catch a sprinkler head, downwind, downhill and sneak one out there on occasion.  But I carry the ball about 235ish.

I've only been able to judge my carry distance accurately on a couple different holes. One where you HAVE to carry 250+ if you want to cut the dogleg over the water...I always try to cut it, and when I do, I clear it by 10-15 yards or so (Verified by fellow TST member Spyder...where the F has he been btw?).

Another is a par 5, that forces either a layup, or a carry of 285 to go over water. I carried the water there once on accident. Tried to hit a slice which will typically only carry 240 or so, but just smacked it straight and it actually carried the water. That's a rare COF perfect drive though...left me a 6 iron to the green. I would go on to bogey. lol

So I know on a decent drive, I carry about 265. I have carried it further, but would never attempt to if there was trouble short of that, as it's not a reliable distance.

So from there, let's say average carry of 260-265, which would on a day with no wind and normal ground conditions, give me 275-280 or so.

I'm capable of the 300+ yard drive, but I have to hit an intentional pull if I wanna do it. And that sometimes results in a 200 yard duck hook...so I don't try it often.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok. Yeah, distances haven't changed that much in 7 years. Either way, not impossible...but it would be impressive and it's highly likely.

Although he may just be considering a 280 yard poke "300", or a dry day with a ton of bounce and rollllll.

It's impossible to say without knowing the golf team members EPSs.

There were a couple of kids in my area that were able to hit 300 yd drives. They weren't HS, they were 19-20 or so. The one I knew personally was playing behind my group in an outing years ago and he drove the green on us 3 times in a row. The first two we kind of laughed off and the 3rd we realized he should know better and let him know that he needed to wait until we cleared the green. These holes were 300+ yard holes. One I know for sure is 320. I would say this kid was easily a low single digit HC player though.

On the flip side, I tend to have at least one 300 yd drive per 9 unless I'm having a totally horrible day. I actually carry a 9 HC for 9 holes in my league now so my game has gotten a little better than what I have posted for HC here, but not a lot. I've been losing more strokes to putting lately so my HC hasn't really lowered as much as it should have.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

There were a couple of kids in my area that were able to hit 300 yd drives. They weren't HS, they were 19-20 or so. The one I knew personally was playing behind my group in an outing years ago and he drove the green on us 3 times in a row. The first two we kind of laughed off and the 3rd we realized he should know better and let him know that he needed to wait until we cleared the green. These holes were 300+ yard holes. One I know for sure is 320. I would say this kid was easily a low single digit HC player though.

On the flip side, I tend to have at least one 300 yd drive per 9 unless I'm having a totally horrible day. I actually carry a 9 HC for 9 holes in my league now so my game has gotten a little better than what I have posted for HC here, but not a lot. I've been losing more strokes to putting lately so my HC hasn't really lowered as much as it should have.

Keep holing out 60 footers on 2 tier greens and you'll save putting strokes. :beer:

Ryan M

He could also be a man by the name of Gorilla James. This man hits 300 yard 3 irons and is under the instruction of Mark Crossfield.

I was mistaken indeed! On my golf team we have a student who is 6'5" and a student who is 6'8",both capable of drives exceeding 315 yards.

Exactly what school is this?

Forget roll......the question is how far do you carry your driver.  Hell, even I'll catch a sprinkler head, downwind, downhill and sneak one out there on occasion.  But I carry the ball about 235ish.

And you've hit the important part...carry distance. I went from 280 average to 250 average total distance in one day.  How? I moved from Las Vegas to Florida, at sea level with wet fairways and no roll. That's why all these claims of high handicappers easily averaging 300+ yards have to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I don't believe the 3 kids on his golf team that hit 300. Damn, I am cynical. This would have to be an extremely competitive team if that were true.

In our local public high school, 1 kid hits 330, 4 or 5 hit 270 or more. Not entirely unbelievable for a HS in SC. I think year around golf allows kids to play better?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Keep holing out 60 footers on 2 tier greens and you'll save putting strokes.

That's going to be one of those things that I never forget. That ball was about 1/2 of a revolution from stopping on that upper tier.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

In our local public high school, 1 kid hits 330, 4 or 5 hit 270 or more.

Does this make sense?

Local public HS kid - 330 yards

Luke List (#1 on PGA Tour) - 306.3

Nicolaus Colsaerts (#2 on PGA Tour) - 305.7

Gary Woodland (#3 on PGA Tour) - 304.4

Bubba Watson (#4 on PGA Tour) - 304.2

Who is this long driving phenom that hits it 25 yards further than the longest PGA Tour players?

A team that's pretty good doesn't have 3 guys that hit 300 yd drives. I know that a lot of Hs scratch players are hitting 280 with consistency, thats closer to what you witness

[quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/18107/20-handicappers-hitting-300-yards-mild-rant/960#post_892363"] Yeah, 300 for kids that are still developing is impressive. Not impossible, but impressive. [/quote] [quote name="David in FL" url="/t/18107/20-handicappers-hitting-300-yards-mild-rant/960#post_892378"] It would have to be a very good team, but yeah, I can see it these days.  Of course, they tend to over estimate too..... I played with a local HS kid a couple of weeks ago.  Number 2 on a pretty good team, playing off a 6 hcp.  He was a good 20 yards longer than me.  Call it 250-260ish carry.  Firm fairway and he might get it out close to 300 a couple of times a round. Forget roll......the question is how far do you carry your driver.  Hell, even I'll catch a sprinkler head, downwind, downhill and sneak one out there on occasion.  But I carry the ball about 235ish. [/quote] One of the kids is 6'8" and carries it 300, another is 6'4" and carries it 290, another is 5'10" 200 lbs and carries it 290 atleast, I am 5'2" and carry it 270

Does this make sense?

Local public HS kid - 330 yards

Luke List (#1 on PGA Tour) - 306.3

Nicolaus Colsaerts (#2 on PGA Tour) - 305.7

Gary Woodland (#3 on PGA Tour) - 304.4

Bubba Watson (#4 on PGA Tour) - 304.2

Who is this long driving phenom that hits it 25 yards further than the longest PGA Tour players?

Probably someone who plays in dry California conditions all year round and constantly hits driver.

I'm pretty sure those driving distance stats don't just include driver...I could be wrong though.

I've said it before, but Bubba Watson could CARRY over 300 every time he wanted to. So imagine what his driving distance would be if he tried to crush it every time with a driver in dry conditions.

Ryan M

For who? Average for those play real golf on real courses? Or for those that post on internet golf forums?

Please refer to my sig.

Ryan M

One of the kids is 6'8" and carries it 300, another is 6'4" and carries it 290, another is 5'10" 200 lbs and carries it 290 atleast, I am 5'2" and carry it 270

Again I will ask... what golf team is this? No doubt there are lots of newspaper writeups about these guys.

Again I will ask... what golf team is this? No doubt there are lots of newspaper writeups about these guys.

The Wando Highschool golf team of Mount Pleasant SC. We are certainly in the newspapers but probably nothing about distance because so many kids can hit it 300 no problem. I'm confused why people think 300 yards is like here to the moon. Most par 4s that's a drive and you still got 100 yards into the greens.

Probably someone who plays in dry California conditions all year round and constantly hits driver.  I'm pretty sure those driving distance stats don't just include driver...I could be wrong though.  I've said it before, but Bubba Watson could CARRY over 300 every time he wanted to. So imagine what his driving distance would be if he tried to crush it every time with a driver in dry conditions.

I think this kid made semi finals in CIF, not a mysterious unknown kid. I saw him at some SCGA qualifier at brookside. Lots of other kids too. Talked to the Starter, and he mentioned that a couple will be on the tour in a few years. Take this with a grain of salt, don't worry you're in the same boat as the rest of us. Amateurs.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The Wando Highschool golf team of Mount Pleasant SC. We are certainly in the newspapers but probably nothing about distance because so many kids can hit it 300 no problem. I'm confused why people think 300 yards is like here to the moon. Most par 4s that's a drive and you still got 100 yards into the greens.

I guess ya'll need to start working on your shots inside 100 yards then.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Note: This thread is 1557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!