IGNORED

Am I in the minority? I still CARRY my clubs

jewestcoast
Note: This thread is 5621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love walking. If I ride in a cart I cannot concentrate as well, and I really don't enjoy my round. But the real reason I walk is to build stamina for tournaments. Playing competitive junior golf is hard enough mentally, I don't need to get physically tired as well

However, walking isn't exactly easy. I walked 27 holes yesterday and my legs were bout to cave in

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 57 I carry while playing 9 holes daily. IMO that is only moderate exercise even on my mountainside course, even in 95 degree sauna conditions. To keep fit I also need a strenuous workout every night on a rowing machine.

I am another golfer who prefers to carry. On Thanksgiving the course required that we take carts. I pulled my bag off on hole four and walked the rest. We were waiting for the group in front of us on every shot and walking slowed me down and limited the waiting time.

My dad is 53 and walks 18 with me every week (unless it is over 97 - then we both ride). He doesn't like to carry but does take a push cart and walk every week.

Another benefit to walking - it slows the round down and allows you to talk to your group more. This is really nice for me as though I love golf - I also love that I get to spend 4 hours with my dad every weekend

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

mposter: Why 97? What if it's 96 with a Heat index of 104 or 97 or 98 with very low humidity and a cooling northern breeze? Just curious why you said 97; I could see 100, but 97? (And take all those 4 hour blocks of time with your dad that you can get! I wish I still could, but I haven't been able to since 1991).

Back on topic: We walk playing executive courses (3,000 or so yards) but use a push cart. We ride longer courses (your standard par70-72 courses) unless it's cart path only. Then we'll walk. We did play a 4,000 par 64 executive course yesterday that had so many hills and such a great distance between holes that I would not have wanted to walk it.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I always carried until around August of this year when I purchased a pull cart. (I'm 29)

Since purchasing the cart my scores have improved and I beieve the cart has played a significant factor in this improvement.

I'll carry for bounce games, 9-holes etc but for me the push cart is the way to go.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

@Smallville - my dad came up with the idea of 97 because he walked one summer day last year with his brothers and thought he was going to have a Heat Stroke when he finished. He took cold baths before he felt right again. I tried to say there are other circumstances (breeze, type of course, humidity, etc) but why argue :)

And I am 31. I wasted many years not wanting to spend time with my dad. I even turned down a decent job offer because I didn't want to move across the country and loose those Sat matches. And yes I give him his full handicap :)

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

Definitely get more fatigued carrying clubs. I carry always. Great exercise. I've lost 50 lbs. in the past year. Keep hoofing, strap 'em on. Clue: you don't have to carry all 14 clubs when you walk. I always leave a few irons behind.

I'm in my late thirties and used to run semi-seriously, so walking and carrying 18, 36 is not a problem, even in heat and in very hilly conditions. I think if you keep up with carrying, you get used to it. I actually score worse riding. The stop and go feels like you're running errands or something.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At 57, I'm carrying currently. I have a speed cart that I've used for the last 7 years, but started carrying again. Having said that, I also play in groups where the guys own their own golf carts (country club) and will often ride. I prefer to walk, but hate being the only guy in the foursome hoofing it while the other 3 ride ahead of me. That seems to force me to feel rushed.

I personally prefer to walk. It actually improves my game. It sets a tempo for me and keeps my muscles warmed up. I only ride when I'm playing with someone who wants me to ride with them. Otherwise, I'd much rather carry. My back end seems to be better and I don't freeze up and get tense as easily.

I ride a lot because carts are free for me. I walk sometimes just for the exercise but I see no difference for me when it comes to score. When I turn 40 I will buy a push cart and walk using it. Around here you're kinda lame if you use a push cart before at least your forties. The crap I would take from my buddies for using a push cart right now would NOT be worth it.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I had foot surgery just over a year ago, so the getting back to walking is taking some time. However, when the weather is cool like it is now, I love to walk. I usually go late enough that I don't get 18 in anyway.

Now my other foot is giving me trouble. So, I don't know what's going to come of it. I walk a couple miles a day with my dog as well.

If my buddies are riding, and its mid-July, heck yeah I'm ridin too!

I'm 16 (17 on Dec.25th) so the age isn't a factor in walking for me but I still prefer it. The major thing for me is I feel more in sync with my golf game when I walk and have time to think about my next shot or the mechanics of my swing. I use a cart sometimes, especially if I'm playing with my dad or if it's just entirely too hot outside, but I feel like I play worse when I use a cart. My shots don't seem linear when I'm in a cart, the whole game is broken up getting in and out of the cart and I don't have time to think about my shots or really get a feel of the course. Plus, I always feel physically better when I walk as opposed to riding.

In my Walter Hogan Signature Bag

Driver:W-Series Hibore XL
Fairway:Speed LD
Irons:S9 LadiesWedges:S9 LadiesPutter:White Hot XG 2-BallâGolf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it...

You mean they actually have carts that you can put your clubs in and drive around the course? And here I've been carrying my bag on back these 30 plus years!

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I'm right at 40, and I tend to prefer walking but using a push cart, mainly because I'm still new to golf. At this point I would rather be able to focus on getting my swing right for each shot without having to deal with fatigue from carrying the clubs. I've also had minor back problems in the past and don't want to risk agitating old spine issues.

Last time I played I raced around in carts with my buddies the game felt a little rushed. I prefer to walk and allow myself to take time to enjoy taking in the course and studying each hole as I prepare for the next shot.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Wow I'm really surprised to see so many walkers. Here in Orlando it seems that most people are driving around the courses. I like walking, but I feel it is a little awkward to have my group go speeding off in front of me in their carts. It makes me speed up my walk to much and by the time I get to my ball I have to calm down for a sec before I proceed. I have been playing more frequently lately and might just start walking every time to bring down the cost. I'm 29 so walking isn't hazardous to my health and hey that means I have to do less cardio at the gym anyway.

In The Bag:

Driver: 909D3 9.5* Aldila VooDoo Stiff
3 Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila VooDoo StiffHybrid: 3DX 17* Aldila NV StiffIrons: MP-67 3-pwWedges: MP-T 56* & 60*Putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5 33"Ball: Gran-Z (in the bargain bin @ Golfsmith)

Note: This thread is 5621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!