Sign in to follow this  
iacas

Your 2009 Personal (Golf) Goals

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

462 posts / 57936 viewsLast Reply

Last year I dropped my handicap from 18 to 12 so this year...

1. Have a handicap index of 8 or lower
2. Hit my driver more consistantly in the fairway
3. Shoot under par at least once (Best last year was +3)

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

First and foremost - PLAY MORE!

Off the tee - work on being more accurate & not getting concerned about distance (as i get better I'm sure distance will increase, if only slightly)

short game & putting - spending more time chipping, pitching and putting than I do on the range beating balls.

Practice smarter not harder - go to the range with a purpose, and work on those areas that are giving me trouble (using drills, tips, instructor input, etc)

Fitness - work out to get in better shape, loose some weight and in better golf shape

Continue working with my instructor to improve overall & be more consistant

All of the above should help me get to my big goal - BREAKING 100!

This is going to be a big year for my wife and I, we are expecting our first baby in a matter of weeks now. Long gone will be the days of hacking around for hours on end, both at the range and the course. So, I have made a committment to myself to actually practice and become a golfer.

I was able to break 100 several times last year, however, the beginning of this year has been very rocky. I lost my swing due to overanalyzing and also lack of confidence. My three previous outings have been a mess - as soon as I begin my backswing my mind just freezes. It's not only frustrating but very embarassing!

So, my #1 goal for this year is to gain back my confidence. I want to be able to use the time that I will have and be productive. Without the confidence, the whole ball game is lost.

#2 would be to establish a firm handicap by year end. Something to improve on for 2010.

#3 is to think about the next shot and only the next shot. By this, I also want to play the shot that best fits me. If that means laying up, even on a par 4, then so be it. Bogey golf will do me just fine but I need to be consistant with it.

#4 I would like to learn to hit my driver. As of now, my off-the-tee clubs, when not a par 3, are my 3 wood or 3 hybrid. This works majority of the time but on those long par 5s, forget it.

#5 is to take my putting seriously. I find myself early in rounds lining up my putts and reading greens but later in the round when I'm floundering I rush my putting. This just exacerbates my problems and turns a 100 round into a 110.

Hopefully, I can revisit this thread in December and check off these 5 items :)

I have a lot of goals I hope to accomplish this year, so here are my top 5:

1. Obtain a real handicap- not neccesarily an official USGA handicap, but one from a system like Scorecard.

2. Make at least the #4 spot on my hs team- Last year I was #8 out of 10, and this year I plan on beating out some others.

3. Lose 20 pounds- I lost 10 pounds in the last 2 months of golf last year, and this year I want to get down to 195 (20 lbs less). I will continue to walk the majority of the time.

4. Majorly change my short game- I need to stop three-putting and learn a consistent stroke. I really believe that I need a heavy mallet putter, so I might be shopping. I also need to fix my chipping/pitching a lot.

5. Lower my overall score- According to a few internet handicap trackers, my HC was about 22 and my overall was too high. I want to get sown to at least 14 or 15 HC. I don't think it will be too hard.

Zach

This is going to be a big year for my wife and I, we are expecting our first baby in a matter of weeks now. Long gone will be the days of hacking around for hours on end, both at the range and the course. So, I have made a committment to myself to actually practice and

Congrats on the baby!

Last year my goal was to improve putting. It hasn't improved much and its still holding me back from shooting lower scores. So improving all aspects of my putting is my main goal. I want to work the ball a little more with the driver and long irons too. A high draw is my only consistent shot with those clubs, and it would be nice to hit a confident, lower power fade when conditions call for it.

Start keeping score?

Right now i dont. I only remember how many par's i have. And how many **** up's.
Also i ordered 60 used balls off ebay the other day. I need to spend more time on and around the greeen. No more 3+ putt's and im sure my game will be drastically improved.

I am very new to the game this will be my 2nd year playing golf, but my first full year.

1. I would like to shoot around 110 at my home course.
2. I would just like to improve each time out.
3. Get out and play with my brother more.

In 2008, I practice way more than I play. This year I hope to use my time at the course by playing more and practicing less.

1. Play more than 30 rounds of golf
2. Focus on playing my home course and learning it
3. Shoot in the 80's at Kapalua on The Plantation Course and The Bay Course (September)

1. Break 100 multiple times throughout the season.
2. Limit my 3-putts to one or two max per round.
3. Improve my ball-striking from the fairwary with all clubs.
4. Develop my driver into a reliable club off the tee.

1. Buy a 3 wood.
2. Play at least 3 rounds a month.
3. Break 90.
4. Break 85.
5. Break 80 once.
6. Get handicap to 10 or under.

1. Improve my short game (oh, the horror)
2. Consistently shoot in the 70's
3. Improve my mental focus. (I have a really bad tendency to just step up and fire)

-Play more instead of practicing. Meaning, if I have a couple hours on my hands, go out and play 9 holes instead of going to the range.

When I do practice, make it meaningful. Have a plan and focus on practicing short game instead of beating balls.

-Become more consistent off the tee.

-Play smarter and have a plan for each shot. Be realistic when planning each shot.

-Put the driver away on certain holes and hit 3 wood.

If I can execute those last 3 items I think I can reach my ultimate goal of becoming a single digit handicapper.

I am very new to the game this will be my 2nd year playing golf, but my first full year.

Played on Friday and i was able to reach goal #1. I shot a 102. I wanted to add a goal. 4. Work on hitting the driver straighter.

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!