IGNORED

ProV1's - Enough Already

Note: This thread is 3468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow - just read the entire thread - lots of strong opinions out there.
My 2 cents:
The place I normally play has bent grass greens, and to keep them alive in the Memphis summer, they keep them wet, so extra spin generated by the Pro V1 is a little bit of a waste. Even a cheap ball makes a monster divot and does not go far. Really cheap balls are lousy to chip and putt with, but the mid-range balls like the DT-solo, NXT and Nike super soft are great. If I was buying balls though, I would buy the new TopFlite D2, they seem like a good compromise. (I don't buy balls - I play what I find - we have a lot of nasty ditches on our course - I am playing Bridgestones now and they play fine)
The only place I have found that a Prov1 helps is on a course with bermuda greens, they are generally rock hard and every little bit helps.
I am not a particulary good golfer, have no official handicap, but generally shoot in the mid/high 80s. Even if the Prov1 would shave strokes off my game, I would not buy them, it just hurts my feelings to pay that much for a ball (cuts down on money I can spend on beer, heh, heh, heh)
The only Prov1 balls I play are the one I find, and only when the greens require it.
A man has to know his limitations..................

• 3 years later...
I've been back and forth between pro v1's and Bridgestone balls, about $20 diff, I have a bunch of kids and not a ton of $$$ to piss away. I love prov1's for the spin rate, and I hate them just as much when that same spin hurts me. Main diff I've seen is 1) a bad shot (hook/slice) w/ pro v1 off tee= lost ball, whereas Bridgestone e6 will still be playable off your drive.... 2) I can stop my prov1's and hold the greens with ease , versus Bridgestone e6's which I just have to figure in the roll. I score well with both balls, but had my best round w/ Bridgestone ball It comes down to which ball you will be able to score better w/ from 100 yards and in, for this reason I play the prov1's, since I have had a few lessons and fitted clubs I've been able to hit the ball better which is why I'm back w/ prov1's, but I don't buy them. Christmas and bday or free ones, because no matter how good you are titleist prov1's do scuff quickly after so many rounds. Good luck with whatever ball you choose. Hit em' straight and have fun!!!

Taylor Made TP 3's right now at $22/doz at Golfsmith.  If your handicap is like mine, you won't know the difference from a proV, you might even like it better.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

If you can put that much JuJu on your shots from the mid iron range you may like the TP 5 better.  They are also on sale as TM tries to empty the shelves and make room for the Lethal, at a much higher price.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

I am not sure why anyone would care what another person plays?  Does someone using a Prov1 have anything to do with your game?  I wont even pick up a found ball that is not a Pro v1 and that is to include a Pro v1x.  I refuse to hit any other ball.  But that is my decision to make.  I work hard for my money and if I chose to pay for a Pro v1 why would you care.  I trust what a Pro v1 will do around the green and off the face of my putter.  Should I also not spend $350 on a Scotty Cameron?  But I did because they are the best in my opinion.  I am not looking down on someone who has a cheap putter or uses noodles.  I am a cop and I drive a Kia but I choose to have good gear and that is my choice.

Originally Posted by Jazzfan

I am not sure why anyone would care what another person plays?  Does someone using a Prov1 have anything to do with your game?

My thoughts exactly and not just about the ProV but also about another person's choice of the rest of their equipment and attire (as long as it meets the course rules) etc....    IMHO, too much time is spent criticizing other people's choices when those choices have absolutely ZERO affect on the person doing the criticizing.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play about whatever but would never pay Pro V1 prices unless I was close to "BEING PAID" to play golf.

I put Adams and PING in my OGIO Recoil bag. I'm shooting for the low 90's by summer 13'

• 1 year later...
A rant asking why people prefer to the play the #1 ball in golf? In my opinion, in today's world with all the advancements in technology there's not one piece of golf equipment, from various manufacturers that one could not argue they are the best in their category.. EXCEPT the Golf Ball. There's only one PROV1.. and then every other ball that claims to be "as good as" the benchmark... Honestly, why care what others play with anyway... Tee up your own ball and worry more about scoring.. This goofy rant makes me laugh and reminds me of those hilarious nike commercials! I love those. [video]http://youtu.be/amOH2B9FkzQ[/video]

As a hacker I can tell the difference from a prov1 to let's say a dt solo. I can't bring my self to buy them new as where the dt solos are 20$. I did just find 10 new prov1 yesterday at the course. It's good for a couple putts using the pro v1 when it sits with no roll out as the harder balls like to roll out 10ft further for me. Bridgestone e series is a close second. Im a hacker and have nike forged blades. You should hear the comments when people see them in my bag. Until I drop it from 160 within a couple feet. Then 2 putt. Lol

When you start hitting the ball straight, that's when it's time for the Pro V1s. You need your approaches to stop to score consistently.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I don't play ProV1s, but I find em quite often when I play.  I just toss em in my bag, with the intention of using them when I get a little better.

I went to college on a baseball scholarship.  I feel like if I were to pick up the game of baseball again, I would buy the very best equipment...because I have the requisite skillset to get the most out of that equipment.

The reason I play the Top Flite Gamer or the Nike Mojo is because my game isn't where it needs to be to justify a ProV1.  I can't spin the ball back (not intentionally anyway).  I don't shape my shots (not intentionally anyway).  I'm just happy to hit a straight drive.  Once I can play 18 holes, and not lose 4-8 balls, then I might consider upgrading.  Until then, I would rather throw a $5 bill into a cigar, or a stripper's bra rather than throw a $5 golf ball into a lake

• Upvote 1

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

I am lucky to break 100. I can afford Pro Vs but can't justify them. When I buy balls, I buy the Top Flite Gamer and Gamer Tour balls. Great value for what I do. I have about 5-6 dozen Pro V that I have "collected" this year. It's amazing how many find on a typical course. They are cleaned and waiting on me to become a better striker. Thanks to all who made the Pro V the number 1 ball ... Found near lakes, trees, and OOBs.

Agreed absolutely. Played a round yesterday, and hit a few errant drives. On the way over to my shots, I picked up two mint Pro V1s on different holes. They had the same logo and number, and they weren't THAT far off the fairway. Easily findable. I don't know who decided to abandon them, but kudos to them for giving me the opportunity to add them to the stockpile.

• 2 months later...

My handicap would be in the 30's if I couldn't hit the high spin knock down wedge into the green and have it stop. It's the only good shot I have, so I use the pro v1 and it does the best job. Everything else seems to dribble off somewhere. I am not a great golfer, but would be way worse without that ball.

1) The splurge factor

It's the same reason guys buy expensive beers when they would be just as happy drinking a Bud. It's an inexpensive way to treat themselves to something special.

The average player may not be able to justify spending a grand on the latest & greatest clubs, but he can justify a small splurge on golf balls.

2) Too many options

Callaway currently offers 21 different golf balls by my count on their website. TM is not much better. Even Bridgestone offers 4 different versions of their 330 high-end balls. When people have too many options it simply leads to confusion. So they throw up their hands and just buy the pro-v1.

3) It's the safe bet

When you're spending $40+ dollars a dozen on golf balls, you don't want to make a mistake. While the pro-v1 may not be the right ball for everyone, nobody will ever feel like they wasted their money on the wrong ball by buying a pro-v1.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I love the Pro v1 BUT never buy them new. I just get them off e bay where my price point is 50p a ball. While I don't get mint ones and settle for A and B grade golf balls even the B grade ones will stop and hold greens like no tomorrow.

Hell...I played last night with some very old and battered practice pro v1's I got off e bay for next to nothing and had absolutely no problems getting them to stop on the greens PLUS when I pull out the power slice I don feel so bad about losing them as they literally cost me nothing to start with.

Finally, I just picked up 80 great condition Pro V1's of the inter web for £32 with 58 of them being this years model and all in great shape! Cant wait to start losing them tomorrow :)

But look, at the end of the day it just comes down to what you feel comfortable playing with. Being new to golf I don't mind playing with pretty much any ball (except Calloways as they feel like hitting rocks!!!) but when I do buy balls off e bay I make sure to get several dozen of the same and will play with those exclusively until Ive lost them all (usually about a couple months:).

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

I have a bunch of sleeve of ProV1s and don't use them....i just buy a sleeve every now and then ( I do have some pink ones too ) . i have hit some ProV1 / x balls and I just can't hit them well enough with my driver to see the difference between them and a NXT or even a Solo. .. if i was just able to hit them with my irons it would be a different story....

It is what it is

Note: This thread is 3468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!