IGNORED

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I switched from the interlocking to the overlap. sorry about the earlier post, just a typo.

Cleveland Hibore XL
Mizuno F60 3 wood
3-PW MP 68
52 & 56 Vokey
Odyssey White Steel 2 Ball

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you feel like the club will slip if you don't squeeze it tight? If so, try wearing a glove on both hands so that you won't need to grip it so tight.

Oooh, I never thought about that. I'm definitely trying that next time.

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

I've always used interlocking because that's what my dad used, and he's the one who first helped me get into this sport. Now when I pick up a baseball bat I always want to grip it with and interlocking grip!! lol. Anyway, It's been suggested by a couple people that I try overlapping. I've never used it in a swing, but as I'm gripping a PW I have lying around right now, it just feels so akward. Maybe I'll try it out and give it a chance. When those other people told me to try overlapping, I never asked why because I had no intention of trying it. Does anyone know a common reason someone would benefit switching from interlocking to overlapping?

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

ive always been an interlock gripper... but recently changed to an overlap, im still getting used to it but I do feel I hit a more solid shot now!

Overlapping grip for driver, irons, and putting. Interlocking grip for chipping. I like how the interlocking grip feels more in the fingers while chipping and pitching. But for irons and driver, i like the overlapping grip, it lets me get through impact better. They say if your hooking with the overlapping grip, switch to an interlocking, its a weaker grip. But i can swing with either or if i want, i try the interlocking sometimes if i want to make sure i need to hit a fade. Personally though i hate the ten finger grip. To me its only good for baseball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've always used interlocking because that's what my dad used, and he's the one who first helped me get into this sport. Now when I pick up a baseball bat I always want to grip it with and interlocking grip!! lol. Anyway, It's been suggested by a couple people that I try overlapping. I've never used it in a swing, but as I'm gripping a PW I have lying around right now, it just feels so akward. Maybe I'll try it out and give it a chance. When those other people told me to try overlapping, I never asked why because I had no intention of trying it. Does anyone know a common reason someone would benefit switching from interlocking to overlapping?

Same here My dad taught me how to play when I started so that's what I used..Actually I use overlap when I chip or have short pitches, basicly use a putting stroke on them I get more feel and better distance control. It never occured to me to try overlap with the full swing untill the other day when I heard the TV guys talking about Sergio switching to inter-loc from overlap..they said he would lose some power with his swing because the inter-lock is not so handsy and he has tremendous lag. So I'm gonna give it a try after work today at the range..

In my TaylorMade Catalina cart bag
TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 TP 8.5*
Cobra Baffler Pro 18* Aldila NV Hybrid Stiff
TaylorMade 300 Forged 3-PW Rifle Flighted 6.0 Stiff
Cleavland 691 Tour Action 52* CG10 58*All wraped in Itomic Tacki-mac grips Oddesy White Hot #4 cut down to 33 1/2" Tempest...

I was always an interlock user but recently decided to give overlap a try. I'm going back to interlock... just feels more "in control." Although, since I switch back to interlock I played the early bird 9 this morning before work and banana-sliced damn near every drive. Might have to consider the overlap for the driver and interlock for everything else....

--- Rebel Golfer ---

I use baseball, as it feels the most comfortable. I tried interlock for a while but it felt too loose and wristy for me. I have sorta big hands so that may be why interlock isn't great for me.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Yeah, bigger hands tend to use the overlapping grip, the interlocking are used by people with smaller hands. I think thats right, correct me if i am wrong.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I saw Charlie Raymer (hope that is spelled correctly) mention this and that an inter-locking grip, "helps fight the hook" which sound backwards to me from experimenting. Have used all three as a progression. First the baseball, then interlock and this winter I switched to an overlap. I agree that an overlap would be more comfortable to someone with larger hands however it works for me with only 7 1/4" hands.

In full disclosure this is a very small sample size.

I looked up the current top 10 in the world and then looked for pics of their swings.

1. Tiger Woods-Interlock
2. Phil Mickelson-Overlap
3. Steve Stricker-Overlap
4. Lee Westwood-Overlap
5. Jim Furyk-Overlap
6. Ian Poulter-Overlap
7. Ernie Els-Overlap
8. Paul Casey-Interlock
9. Martin Kaymer-Overlap
10. Anthony Kim-Interlock

Ok so I tried the overlap today at the range..took a little bit to get used too and let me say I think I like it better..after using it about 3/4 of a bucket switched back to inter-lock and it didn't feel as comfortable..! which kinda blew me away since that's all I've ever used since I started this crazy game..like 15 yrs now..!! I do agree with MikeLowry5 as well I don't think that inter-lock helps with the hook as much as overlap does (I tend to pull my shot's when off) and didn't seem as bad with the overlap and I was better with the driver as well, straighter..!!

In my TaylorMade Catalina cart bag
TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 TP 8.5*
Cobra Baffler Pro 18* Aldila NV Hybrid Stiff
TaylorMade 300 Forged 3-PW Rifle Flighted 6.0 Stiff
Cleavland 691 Tour Action 52* CG10 58*All wraped in Itomic Tacki-mac grips Oddesy White Hot #4 cut down to 33 1/2" Tempest...

In full disclosure this is a very small sample size.

1st thought: AK is in the top 10? Cool.

2nd thought: That's a lot of overlapping grips. Did not know that. I prefer the interlocking grip, or at least that's what I was taught as a kid. 10 finger (baseball) and overlap grips make it feel like I am going to let go of the club, even though I played baseball for a long time. 3rd thought: I have a friend who uses a baseball grip (maybe because he plays baseball........) and he is very handsy, which seems to really hurt his otherwise very solid swing. Connection?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1st thought: AK is in the top 10? Cool.

Well if you believe like I do that the right hand (left for my people) helps to close the face through the swing then you'd agree the stronger position it is in (i.e. more direct contact it has with the club) the easier it will be to close it. So a baseball grip would allow for a golfer to close the clubface during the swing and on the other extreme the double overlap like Furyk would aid in holding the face open.

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!