IGNORED

"Tour Tempo" by John Novosel

iacas
Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've read enough on here to decide I'm going to pick this up and give it a try. Naturally, I'll report the results.

I will be interested to see your results as I too want to try this out.

I'm going on holiday with the wife & kids on Saturday, so for a week I have promised to not even think about golf But I want to try it before my golfing holiday in September (10 rounds in 6 days) So hopefully I will read your report on my return in 10 days time

Tour Tempo has a new player that hooks to your ear. I got mine this weekend and I like it a lot. No more annoying cord to get tangled, and it comes with some new short game tempos that work really well for me.

In the bag:
MX-100 Irons
Wedges 54*
60* SV Tour Wedge
putter 3-Wood, 5-wood 10.5* driverLimbo Ball

• 2 weeks later...
I just had my first range session with the tones after reading the book and have to say i am impressed so far, they take a little getting used to but if you follow the training sequence , Y and L drills etc then you pick it up pretty quickly. I found when i really concentrated on the tones my swing felt incredibly smooth and i gained a good 5 or so meeters. One thing it does do well which i needed is clear your head of swing thoughts, i was getting to the stage where i had way to much going on in my head (twist this, keep that straight, dont move that etc) it was driving me nuts but the tour tempo system sorts that out all you think is smooth flowing swing. I know everyones game is different but tour tempo is def for me...

I'm back off holiday & I ordered mine yesterday, so with a bit of luck I will get to try it out at the weekend.

If it comes tomorrow I will get chance to practice in my garden (without a ball) to get used to the tones before I hit the range & course on saturday.

I will report back in a week or so to let you know how I got on.

Ok, after one night using Tour Tempo I am a believer. I purchased the TourTempo app for the iPhone, $9.99. Comes with the tones and a few instructional videos, very basic stuff. A little bit of background on my game......

Been playing for 2 years. Typical scores range from 80 to 86, sometimes higher. Oddly enough, my short game is above average and my tee to green game gets me in trouble. I used to go to the range a lot. I thought I was practicing smart, but ended up just beating balls and my scores plateaued. We had our first child 3 mos ago, so I no longer have time to stop off at the range on my way home. Bought a net, mat, and The PathPro for the garage. The PathPro has helped me out a LOT, but I could still have poor ballstriking evenings due to a bad tendency to get quick in my downswing.

Using the TourTempo tones at 27/9 last night, I was having no doubt the best consistent contact I have ever had. Virtually every swing produced crisp contact. Certainly the best $9.99 I have ever spent on golf. Really freed up my mind and made the swing just reactionary. So now, every I swing I take in the garage is using the PathPro and TourTempo............

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I've got something a lot easier and cheaper to get your swing ratio to 3:1:

Everyone has his or her own pace. Some golfers play at a fast pace. Others play at a more leisurely pace. If you had seen Sam play, you would have noticed that he always swung the club slowly and smoothly. He called it swinging in waltz time and that was his swing key for keeping his swing under control.

"Sam liked to tell the story of the time he gave a lesson to player who played like he was going to a fire. He couldn't get at the ball quick enough in an effort to try and hit the ball 400 yards. The divots were flying father than the balls. Afraid the guy might hurt himself, Sam stepped in and told the guy to slow his swing down. Next time Sam saw the man, he was amazed. The man had slowed his swing down to waltz time.

Sam Snead was one of the games best players and teachers. Like many golfers he used specific keys to trigger his golf swing and achieve consistency. The six we explained above were just a sample. By incorporating them into your swing, you'll be well on your way to reaching that single-digit golf handicap you've always wanted."

Here's a good waltz to use that almost everyone knows (Blue Danube):

Just count 1-2-3-4-5 bum-bum bum-bum. Start your backswing on 1, start your downswing on 4, impact at 5. That's 3:1.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

After reading the posts on this and visiting the site, I downloaded the $10 files. I have not read the book. I went to the range today and I have to say I was impressed. (Disclaimer: I was hitting off a mat) I used the 27/9 tempo. I had very good distance and much more consistent striking. My thought is that it takes your mind off of hitting the ball and focuses it on the rhythm. I stopped thinking, where's my weight, take the club back on plane, release at impact. My take is that this is a great finishing tool for practice. I agree that you do have to a decent swing plane and setup. It kind of brings everything together.

If you're musically inclined, I believe this is 3/4 time with 1-and-a-2-3. I'm going to take it to the course this weekend and see how it goes.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Well...here is an update from me. I've worked with the Tour Tempo for the last two weeks and my scores have gotten better. My Handicap has gone down 2 whole points. I have lots to work on but I shot a 90 on Saturday at a course I was unfamiliar with. I could have shot in the 80's if not for some silly errors. I feel like Tour Tempo contributed to my lower scores.

In the bag:
MX-100 Irons
Wedges 54*
60* SV Tour Wedge
putter 3-Wood, 5-wood 10.5* driverLimbo Ball

After reading the posts on this and visiting the site, I downloaded the $10 files. I have not read the book. I went to the range today and I have to say I was impressed. (Disclaimer: I was hitting off a mat) I used the 27/9 tempo. I had very good distance and much more consistent striking. My thought is that it takes your mind off of hitting the ball and focuses it on the rhythm. I stopped thinking, where's my weight, take the club back on plane, release at impact. My take is that this is a great finishing tool for practice. I agree that you do have to a decent swing plane and setup. It kind of brings everything together.

He talks about in the book how he doesn't believe music will help you with your tempo, because it's not set up perfectly to a 3-1 ratio with a .5 second delay or something. He goes into more details in the book.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Was in the bookstore this afternoon and bought Tour Tempo. Gave it a quick read this afternoon and started the drills. Doing the pre-shot 27/9 was WAY too slow. I was already getting to impact when the 2nd beep went off. Went to 24/8 and was still a touch faster than that. 21/7 was good but according to the book I shouldn't be that fast already. I'm going to time the swing videos I have and see what my downswing to impact # of frames is

And after checking 3 swings from my last lesson, in terms of frames

Swing 1 - 22/7
Swing 2 - 22/7
Swing 3 - 22/8

Suppose I already have the fast tempo, just need the tour accuracy now.. LOL

Silly question but how do you count your frames?

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Silly question but how do you count your frames?

Load a video of your swing in a video editing program and then once the backswing starts just move it frame by frame and count

I use a linux system so the program I use probably won't help

Windows Media Player allows you to go frame by frame.
Driver: Cobra Speed Pro S X/10.5*
3W: TaylorMade Rescue
Irons: Adams Ovation 3 (4-LW)
Putter: Ping Zing 2i
Ball: Noodle + Long & SoftGlove: FootJoy SofJoyShoes: FootJoy GreenJoyShort term goals:Break 92 for 18 holesShoot 5 pars or better in one round.

Well im sold on "tour tempo" today was my first round after only 2 range sessions with the tt tracks and i hit the ball much better than usuall, i had solid contact all day i would have shot a fantastic score if it wasnt for 6 three putts (yes thats right 6 its not a typo!)
I listened to the tracks on the way to the course and kept them going through my head all round, did a few L drills while waiting for the green to clear... my swing just felt so smooth but also powerfull all day

Im going to stick to it all summer and see how it goes, ill report in later...

Now to learn how to putt!!!

Well im sold on "tour tempo" today was my first round after only 2 range sessions with the tt tracks and i hit the ball much better than usuall, i had solid contact all day i would have shot a fantastic score if it wasnt for 6 three putts (yes thats right 6 its not a typo!)

Superb, I'm glad you got on well with it, I have got my book now (already read cover to cover) but my MP3 player died so I'm waiting for the new one to arrive before I try out the tones. I can try it in my car cd player but it's really difficult to swing my clubs in there lol.

I didn't get the book, I just bought the tracks off the website. It has definately helped my tempo. Had a bad irons day the other day. Couldn't get a tempo. I was all over the place. I didn't even think about the tracks while I was playing.

as I can't practice yet as I'm still waiting for my MP3 I'm just driving my wife mad playing the tones over & over on the laptop with the volume on full, she is hungover lol.

After reviewing this thread I started consciously going to a 1-2-3-4 count, with 4 being the downswing. Even without the sound tones, I can feel the difference in shot making. I tried it first on the practice range yesterday. I think my old tempo was more like 2/1. Using the 3/1 today I had one of my best nine holes on one particular local course. It seems to work for every kind of shot, from driving to putting and all in between. I have been doing other things to improve, but this felt like a definite and additive contribution on its own. Actually, one of my 'problems' today was that certain clubs were going a lot further than previously and overshooting the greens!

Thanks to those who shared their results on the 3/1 concept.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!