IGNORED

The Haney Project: Can Haney Fix Barkley’s Swing?

Uber$winG
Note: This thread is 5343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Can Haney Fix Barkley’s Swing?

• YES
    • NO
    • MAYBE
    • WHO CARES?

• Administrator
How about "The Harmon Project" for season 2 and "The Leadbetter project" for season 3?

I like it!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, those two took quite a journey.

I really cant say it was a failure. I know they worked together a long time, but Charles has a horrible block there. I was actually happy to see him hitting some decent shots and having a good time.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I was very disappointed in the outcome, and frankly it made me feel like no matter how time, money and practice you devote to developing a good swing, there might not be any hope at all for some of us.

• Administrator
I was very disappointed in the outcome, and frankly it made me feel like no matter how time, money and practice you devote to developing a good swing, there might not be any hope at all for some of us.

Why? Didn't he finish with several pars in a row?

Or was that highly edited to make it look like he made several pars in a row?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Clearly highly edited. Bottom line: he's still got a hitch and he might hit the ball alittle straighter now but he's still lucky to break 100... even with $100k worth of instruction.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Here's what I don't get. Barkley's "hitch" seem to be limited to his full swing. I've never seen him yip a putt or a chip. What I don't understand it why Haney didn't have him work with half swings? With Sir Charles size and strength he could probably still drive the ball 250 yards with a half swing so why not establish a rock solid half swing then work back to full?

"Never follow a bad shot with a stupid shot"

In my
Rapture 9.0
Rapture 3w Tight Lies A3KZG CBII irons with Rifle shafts 52 & 56 wedges White Hot 2 ball ProV

Why? Didn't he finish with several pars in a row?

You and I know that you can make pars hitting the ball with the grip (well, maybe), but the whole point of this project was to fix that absurd hiccup in his swing. And they didn't get it done.

I honestly though he'd have been better off handing Charles a set of lefty clubs and starting from scratch.

• 1 month later...
Sir Charles playing in this event, swing is still awful... Tough to watch, he just can't get through a swing without that hitch... He still needs a lot of help... I would love to see him get better, he seems to be such a fun-loving, good guy.

I normally enjoy Golf Channel's coverage of the Nationwide Tour but it's a beat down when they put a player in the TV van and have him work as an engineer, director, etc... What's the point? Just show the tournament.

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

Sir Charles playing in this event, swing is still awful... Tough to watch, he just can't get through a swing without that hitch... He still needs a lot of help... I would love to see him get better, he seems to be such a fun-loving, good guy.

That clip of his "drive" where he's saying "I hate this game....i hate this game" is pretty funny.

I actually enjoyed watching that guy trying to do the camera engineer stuff. I always wondered exactly how it was done.

Back near the beginning of this thread I predicted that Haney couldn't fix Barkley's swing because it's a mental block. I've seen this a lot, if you can swing when no one is watching but have a horrible hitch under pressure - that's a problem with the mental game.

Here's my take on this. There are one of two things going on.

One, Charles really wants to fix it but he's using the wrong tools. If this is the case, than it is fixable with sports hypnosis, probably in two-to-three sessions. He says in the show that he tried hypnosis and it didn't work, obviously he saw the wrong person. I've helped a lot of golfers overcome problems like this.

Two, Charles THINKS he want to fix it, maybe even believes it, but as long as he has the hitch he gets a LOT of attention from the media, commentators, the Internet, etc. It's all about the payoff. If this is the case it's still fixable, just takes longer and is more complicated.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Tahoe Celebrity Golf Tournament.

• 2 weeks later...
It will be interesting to see what happens in the Tahoe Celebrity Golf Tournament.

Here are two clips from that event:

The next one is poor quality in terms of mismatched video and sound, but it's interesting that Charles is experimenting with a left-arm only swing, something I suggested during the Haney show. I thought it should be a teaching method or for private rounds, not in public (Forward to 50 second mark):

his practice swings and his time on the range seemed really good... till he stepped onto the teebox and addressed the ball
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

No, Barkley is not in his prime anymore and old habits will endure. The opportunity to fix him was at least 10 years ago.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

• 2 months later...
Barkley at Wednesday's LPGA Navistar Pro Am:

Barkley's just too stupid. Good God.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Although well...... everyone gets a good laugh out of his swing. im somewhat confused as to why more people if everyone is'nt more supportive. I too am sick of watching that horrible swing nearly everyday on the golf channel. But it takes balls to be playing that shitty and go on TV and to Charity tournaments. But seriously one of the things i love about golf is that most people who play are generally supportive of one another. So, Charles i hope you fix your swing so people will stop crying....... from laughing so hard

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

frankly I am just sick of charles barkley I don't watch the golf channel (channel 401) on dish.

I watch to see real golfers... not some wash up

4dx hybrid Graphite Irons
3-4 Hybrid
Pipe Putter
Titleist Pro V1...I lose enough of em
Revolver Pro 440sz

Charles apparently doesn't give a damn where the tee marker is and kicks it out of the way. Geez Charles, not only is your swing total sh!t but so is your respect for the rules of the game! My respect for him (already very low) just got lower.

Barkley at Wednesday's LPGA Navistar Pro Am

Note: This thread is 5343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!