IGNORED

Will Tiger Win the Accenture Match Play Championship

photoballmarker
Note: This thread is 5548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger has won 52% of his last 25 tournaments and 10 of his last 13.
Odds are he's going to win this one.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing the brackets ( here ) I have to say that I don't think that Tiger got the best draw in his bracket. I see him getting pushed right away in match 2 be it vs. Tim Clark or Goosen, but then his #2 seed is a recent champ of this even in G. Ogilvy who not to mention has already won this year, the #3 seed in that region happens to be one of the hottest players in the world in C. Villegas. So I see TW getting upended either by M. Weir in the 3rd round, or whoever comes out of the bottom end either Villegas or Ogilvy. It does setup as a tough bracket and whoever comes out of that one will be battle tested and ready to roll in the semis.

PS- I have to say that Sergio is the recipient of the easiest looking draw of the field, his #2 seed is Karlsson and his #3 seed is Kenny Perry, sure they've both got game but it remains to be seen I guess, just my own perception and kind of a gut feeling. As I'm typing this though I can start seeing Karlsson really doing well. Guess that's the beauty of this event!

Alright boys......who ya got?!?!
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I say Tiger either wins the event outright, or he loses in the 2nd round to Tim Clark 3 and 2.

I obviously hope he wins it. Go Tiger!!

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got Geoff Ogilvy as my pick this week. He'll beat Tiger in the Quarter Finals. I would really like to see Tiger win though. So, really as long as my competitor's pick, Cink, doesn't last as long as Ogilvy, I'll be alright.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

That's just pathetic.

i didnt read the article but if all he said was that he would bet on woods, then i dont see a whole lot wrong, i mean, who would you bet on? realistically, anyone else in the world would be betting the underdog if they bet on themselves instead of woods. its not pathetic to realize objectively that someone else is a better player. that doesnt mean he doesnt think he has a chance, its just that he knows tiger would beat him more than he would beat tiger.

Colin P.

i didnt read the article but if all he said was that he would bet on woods, then i dont see a whole lot wrong, i mean, who would you bet on? realistically, anyone else in the world would be betting the underdog if they bet on themselves instead of woods. its not pathetic to realize objectively that someone else is a better player. that doesnt mean he doesnt think he has a chance, its just that he knows tiger would beat him more than he would beat tiger.

You think John Daly stepped on the teebox at his US Open victory, thinking "my chances are slim to non-existent to win that thing"? No way - he probably was grateful for this liftetime chance and did everything he could to finish as best as possible.

If you play at that level, its not enough to be able to play excellent golf, you have to have the willpower to compete. If not, you always stay somewhere in the anonymous ranks, which, unfortunately, still pays enough to live a very comfortable life....

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

• Administrator
If you play at that level, its not enough to be able to play excellent golf, you have to have the willpower to compete.

The definition of "willpower" is not "expressing some form of reality."

It'd be flat out STUPID for Brendan Jones to say "I would bet on me." He's likely to lose 45 out of 50 matches. Saying that does NOT MEAN he doesn't think this is one of those five times he can win, or that he doesn't have faith and confidence in himself. They're two separate things. Virtually every athlete does this in some form. Players playing in the Super Bowl say "let's treat this like any other game." It's a form of lying to themselves that, they feel, will improve their chances of playing well. I don't think any of us can say without a doubt that's not what Brendan was doing here. To put it another way, I like aggression and I like confidence, but I hate stupidity even more. And Stephen Ames knows what can happen if you say something stupid.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

-3 and 2 up through 2 holes.
I think he's back.
Btw, this Angel Cabrera and Phil match is starting to get exciting.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Obv. it would be a stupid move to bet on himself.

And as the past has shown its also not recommendable to talk trash to Tiger, since this can backfire pretty quickly.

My main point was, that in his TV interviews and what the press wrote about him, he didnt seem confident at all in himself, and that imo. is a difference to just laying low and treating it as "any other game".
I remeber one interview qoute from him where he said, "I guess its better to loose to Tiger than somebody else", and there wasnt much sarcasm in this statement.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

by now tiger has already started to play. He did good the first two holes and then kind of got into a par funk. I see him finishing put this round at 2up and going on to play goosen tomorrow with another win, then he will play sabbatini in the morning on sat and phil in the afternoon. I dont know if he will beat phil or not we will have to see how he dose from now tell sat. But I have no problem with getting him to sat afternoon.

Idea Irons tight lies
R5 duel
PW
Putter I-series
bag Home Course Pondaros RIP

Sabbatini is out and Goosen is two down, if Goosen lose, Tiger is up against Tim Clark.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

He did good the first two holes and then kind of got into a par funk.

i hate it when i get into a par funk. it's like walking around with my own personal rain cloud over my head when i'm making those dang pars. :P

i wish i could be watching the match, but alas, i'm at work. i'm glad you guys are keeping it pretty up to date here.

Some great play, but overall just OK for Tiger, not exceptional play. Of course, 2 (1 1/2) eagle is great, but it's a short course with quite a few opportunities. Clark beat Goosen and is up against Tiger tomorrow. Jones could put Tiger under some pressure, but played pretty bad at times and in the end didn't have much chance left.

Garcia struggled long, but finally got his game on and is 2 up. It's about time too, would've been bad if he went out in the first match. The biggest surprise so far is Goggin beating Perry.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Well, Garcia is out after playing terribly on the last three holes. Nobody to blame but himself. The second big surprise today.

After today's tough match, Stewart Cink will win this thing.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Note: This thread is 5548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!