IGNORED

Groove Sharpening

Note: This thread is 2198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This begs the question of when and whom will be the first officially DQ'd player for modified grooves and if it will be in a major, mini, or amateur tournament? I'm going to speculate that there will be at least one formal protest at the pro level before the end of summer.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I wouldnt use one of those things on my clubs, but thats just me.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

This begs the question of when and whom will be the first officially DQ'd player for modified grooves and if it will be in a major, mini, or amateur tournament? I'm going to speculate that there will be at least one formal protest at the pro level before the end of summer.

The pros don't use such things because they don't need to. They can replace any club as soon as they feel that it's too worn to work right for them. I seriously doubt that any of them would take a chance on a DQ just to have sharper grooves.

I wouldnt use one of those things on my clubs, but thats just me.

Agreed. Absolutely. Not gonna screw with my AP-2 irons... they have the 2010 grooves anyway, so there really isn't any reason to. And I like to use a ball for more than a few holes. I don't need wedges that strip the cover off the ball. I used the same Penta for 18 holes today... it looks as good as it did when I took it out of the sleeve.

All I really see in this is players looking for another quick fix for what is more than likely a swing issue anyway.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The pros don't use such things because they don't need to. They can replace any club as soon as they feel that it's too warn to work right for them. I seriously doubt that any of them would take a chance on a DQ just to have sharper grooves.

I wouldnt even use them on my wedges...i wear out the bounce way before i wear out the grooves, anyway.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I wouldnt even use them on my wedges...i wear out the bounce way before i wear out the grooves, anyway.

Same. The grooves on my LW are fine, but the sole on my club is all worn out and there are a lot of dings too. That's why the Taylor Made xFT wedge makes no sense for me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

I had a round of golf with my buddy yesterday - and I noticed he had a tool to clean and repair the grooves on his irons.

When I asked him about it he told me it was a groove sharpener and that he had been using one for several months.

Any of you guys used one or in fact own one.

What is the consensus of opinion - do they infringe the rules in anyway ?

My buddy was generating a fair amount of spin for sure.

I would be grateful for any feedback.

I have one, they do clean them very well. But, they sharpen by removing a very thin layer of existing metal making it sharper, like a knife.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I wouldnt use them on my clubs, but its up to you.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Hi Guys,

I picked one up - mine only works on V grooves. I cleaned some burrs off the edges on my irons and I'll hopefully get another couple seasons out of my old wedges too. I'd hesitate to use them on new irons though.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

They are illegal to use during play:

Rule 4-2 playing characteristics changed during play;

# a. Playing Characteristics Changed
During a stipulated round, the playing characteristics of a club must not be purposely changed by adjustment or by any other means.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

For the orthodox USGA rules followers:

Rule "4-1. Form and Make of Clubs
a. General
The player's clubs must conform with this Rule and the provisions, specifications and interpretations set forth in Appendix II .
[. . .]
b. Wear and Alteration
A club that conforms with the Rules when new is deemed to conform after wear through normal use. Any part of a club that has been purposely altered is regarded as new and must, in its altered state, conform with the Rules .
[. . .]
PENALTY FOR making stroke with club in BREACH OF RULE 4-1 or 4-2: Disqualification"

Section 5 of Appendix II is the relevant part. Also see Decision " 4-1/1 Condition Requiring Clubs Conforming with Groove and Punch Mark Specifications Effective January 1, 2010 "

Also: Rule "1-3. Agreement to Waive Rules
Players must not agree to exclude the operation of any Rule or to waive any penalty incurred.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 1-3:
Match play — Disqualification of both sides; Stroke play — Disqualification of competitors concerned."

I'm not a rules expert, and maybe someone can clarify, but I think this means if you sharpen your grooves in conformance with Appendix II Section 5 and Decision 4-1/1 you should be ok with the USGA.

I don't know how closely you follow, or if you follow USGA rules, but I hope that helps.

Wow i am amazed at the negative reaction to a groove sharpener.
I have played golf for 44 years and i never saw anyone checking the legality of golf clubs.
I needed a new set of wedges, i have 4 because the grooves were bent and knocked about, i was shocked to find out that i would spend $430 on these, but the only thing no good was the grooves.

I looked around and found ( www.groovesharpener.net ) last year, i purchased one of their groovers
it has a wedge shaped end that stops you digging to deep it made my old wedges good enough to not need the new ones, my wifes happy too she got a new dress from the saving of not buying new wedges.

Maybe most of these guys on here can afford new wedges every now and again.
I would much prefer keeping my old wedges up to scratch and have a happy wife taboot.

My name is Mike this is my first post, good golfing everybody.

Wow i am amazed at the negative reaction to a groove sharpener.

Golf is about playing by the rules, if you don't bother playing by the rules what's the point in playing golf?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Golf is about playing by the rules, if you don't bother playing by the rules what's the point in playing golf?

Do you have a reference that clearly states that the product Mike Mossey is talking about violates the rules? What I have read is just the opposite, that if you use a tool to return your club's grooves to their original state (not altering them to something they weren't when they were new) you are in accordance with the rules.

Do you have a reference that clearly states that the product Mike Mossey is talking about violates the rules? What I have read is just the opposite, that if you use a tool to return your club's grooves to their original state (not altering them to something they weren't when they were new) you are in accordance with the rules.

When grooves dull that means the edges of the grooves have been damaged.

A sharpener gets rid of the old edge and puts a new one there. That widens the grooves, making them illegal.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

When grooves dull that means the edges of the grooves have been damaged.

That assumes that the grooves were at the maximum width prior to being sharpened, no?

That assumes that the grooves were at the maximum width prior to being sharpened, no?

I don't know of a manufacturer which doesn't make clubs at the limit already. They have to do that in order to have a club which performs up to the competition. would you deliberately market an under-performing club just so your customers could use a tool to remove metal and still keep them in spec? You aren't going to sell very many golf clubs that way.

I've never had any trouble keeping my grooves perfectly clean using a brush. I'm certainly not going to risk ruining my AP-2 irons by scraping them with some carbide or tool steel knife. Some guys won't even use a brass bristle brush (which does no harm at all to a steel clubface), then they stick this tool in the groove... that's crazy.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

They are illegal to use during play:

Nobody is going to measure your grooves, but you WILL be changing the characteristics during play.

If I was playing with you, I would call you on it. Rules are rules. If you ignore one, you may as well ignore them all.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Note: This thread is 2198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!