IGNORED

The Worst habit one of your regular golf buddies has

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 5186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The person I have the biggest problem with is my buddy who I play with all the time. .

I will take him and you can have my uncle. He shakes change in his pocket on the tee box while others hit

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who takes super long pre-shot routines...and that's fine. You hear the pros saying that one of the bigges amature propblem is not setting up correctly, so I'll give her that. But what un nerves me is the scores she keeps. You'll be playing along, you her struggling back, you see balls close to the green, and then when she hits closer or on the green, she'll move along, and of course she only counts the final shot. At the end of the day she ends up with a similar or lower score than me...That really ticks me off. I try to play with the rule of 1 mully per 9, I think she mis undertands me bcs her approach is 9 mully per hole!

What really ticks me off is cheating. One day day we were all having a bad day, putting more balls in the water tha on fairways, and on one hole we picked a few balls out of the water. I took one ball as a practice shot, and I hit what I consider my best approach shot ever...45 yards out, and landed about 6 inches from the hole, and stayed. She then claim that that had been her 2nd shot on this long par 5. I didn't want to raise a big stink, as it was the first time I had played with her...I took satisfaction on the fact that she missed the putt! HA!

It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Wow, it's a wonder anybody plays together. Ha ha.

I'm used to most bad habits due to dealing with bad etiquette in the area. Have to mention this - one guy, not a regular, bought 1, ONE, ball to a regulation length course.

To reverse the question, I think I play a little too fast for most people but try not to look like I'm rushing anyone and also cannot see the ball - practically blind.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a friend that stands over the ball for 2-3 minutes waggling like Sergio. Drives me so crazy that I will not golf with him anymore.

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

This thread is a great read!

There is not much that annoys me anymore on a golf course. I have seen it all. I play with my best friend more often than anyone else.

He has a bad habit now of getting way too focused on his swing during the round. I am only annoyed because he doesn't enjoy the game as much as I think he should. He has a great swing and has become way too much of a perfectionist.

One of my friends, whom I try to avoid playing with him as much as I can, can never be serious about a game. We would start a game and start counting strokes, until one hole he plays bad and loses track of his strokes and stops counting for the rest of the whole.

The same guy would just want to remove his ball and place it in the middle of the fairway whenever it's lands in a bad lie. When I show my dissatisfaction he just says "Hey, we're not really playing for real, just for fun"....wtf! Where's the fun in that? Why not just take the ball and place it in the cup with your hands??

When we started playing together, we used to buy balls togther and play with them, then we'd split their cost at the end of the round, which was pretty OK with me. Until he started loosing a lot hell of balls (he would lose at least 10 balls during a full round) while I would lose 2 or 3 maximum, then I'd still have to pay for half the price of the balls, sometimes he wouldn't even pay and act like he forgot. So I just started buying my own balls and not telling him I did, and whenever he asks for a ball I just tell him I don't have any.

Again the same guy would start getting pissed and angry when I go playing without telling him.

Another guy wouldn't stop talking about how I need to fix my swing, and would never stop talking in generally and making lame jokes and stuff. He also always asks to use my driver when he already has his. Last time he used it, shanked, then was like "Oh, I think your driver's clubhead has something wrong, it's too open, I think it's bent"!!!!

And many more. I just like to play alone the most. Or with whoever random person I meet on the course.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

• 1 month later...
I played with a guy once who would stop me or my regular partner in the middle of our backswing to give correctional notes. He is also one of those guys who concedes any putt that is within 5 feet of the hole, and plays what he calls "ready golf", meaning that he is rushing everyone on every swing and he won't let you analyze your shot at all. He and his son have repeatedly asked when me and my bud are going with them again, and we just ignore them.

I have two other regulars that aren't very good yet, by that I mean they shoot upwards of 10 per hole, and they tend to lose a lot of golf balls in the woods. Not such a big deal, and I still stink so the amount of shots really doesn't bother me, but it is the amount of time they will spend looking for a lost ball. I will generally look for a ball for about a minute, and if I can't find it by then, I just drop and take the penalty. These two will literally take 6 or 7 minutes per hole to search for a lost ball. I swear, when my normal partner and I stopped going with them, we shaved an hour and a half of of nine holes. We now play 9 in about 1 hr and 45 minutes.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

I wouldn't call him a regular golf buddy, his habits are so annoying we avoid playing with him. The list is huge but I will make it short, most annoying habit is his preshot routine. He goes throught this whole process of lining up with his back foot pointing down the target line and squaring his foot and gripping his club, just for his practice swing. Then he steps up to the ball and starts all over, just hit the darn ball.....

Not to mention, always being late for a tee time (never plays the first hole with us), never giving up looking for a $1.50 golf ball, to cheap to play a course over $20, won't drive more then 10 miles to play (thank goodness), and he is the slowest player ever.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I wouldn't call him a regular golf buddy, his habits are so annoying we avoid playing with him. The list is huge but I will make it short, most annoying habit is his preshot routine. He goes throught this whole process of lining up with his back foot pointing down the target line and squaring his foot and gripping his club, just for his practice swing. Then he steps up to the ball and starts all over, just hit the darn ball.....

Man I hate that. Showing up late for your wedding is one thing, but a tee time...

- Shane

Man I hate that. Showing up late for your wedding is one thing, but a tee time...

I don't think you can post a handicap when your round always consists of 17 holes......

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I don't think you can post a handicap when your round always consists of 17 holes......

You actually should post if you play at least 13 holes (7 for a 9 hole round). You should post par plus any handicap strokes you would have received on holes not played according to Uncle Snoopy.

- Shane

My buddy gives himself the 2-4 footers he misses, is always rolling the ball to give himself the best lie, and is always throwing clubs after bad shots. He shot a 1 under a couple of years ago, but he forgot to count that out of bounds second shot on the last hole...

anyone that has me 2nd guessing shots... (like my brother)
"umm dude youre gonna carry the water... from there?"
"umm boy these greens are wet" right before taking a stroke
"wow that looks farther away... dunno if these markers are true"

just let me play my game... if i use my putter to drive and my driver to putt... as long as its not against the rules... leave me alone... get outta my head... < /rant >
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I have a golf buddy who is great to play with. He is a great pal and sometimes acts liek a total jackass on the course. i don't care that he acts funny because i honestly love it. Anyway, he is a very skilled golfer with a 2 handicap. Always encouraging to my game liek "nice shot" or "good ball" after some shots of mine. I have nothign to complain about with this guy

EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES TO BETTING

If we play a round for a $4 beer, he is all of a sudden the most serious player ever. EVER. He turns into Tiger. If i hit my tee shot and i loose sight of it, he just ignores me if i ask. Does not help me find my ball when the previous hole i foudn his in the woods. All of his nice shot comments are all of a sudden out the window and he plays liek its the US Open. Love the guy, but will never bet with him on the course. Its life or death for that beer i tell ya.

In my White Hoofer Vantage Bag:

Driver : R7 Draw
Woods : 3 hybrid
Irons : MP-60Wedge : 54 deg 58 degPutter : RED X 35' (in love)Ball : TP BlackBest Round: 80Closest to Hole-In-One: 0.5''

Some of the worst in the league I golf in:

* Cheating. I know guys who have shaved strokes. Being a former high school golfer, I learned to carefully watch my opponents, and they shave strokes TERRIBLY. I caught a guy shaving six total strokes on nine holes the other day.
* Lost ball (suddenly found?). Sometimes a guy will lose a ball and look for 5 minutes. We both saw it go in the woods. We know it's OB. Drop a new ball!
* Longest routine ever? I can understand a few practice swings. A guy I play with regularly has 6 or 7. He plays 7 rounds of golf worth every round. It's a pain.
* Blaming the course. Don't blame the course unless because of a bounce. Or an ill-placed tree. Or an unkept bunker. If you were playing a good game, you wouldn't have much of that trouble.

• 7 months later...
This thread was a great read, funny that we deal with all this with our regular golfing buddies. I usually golf with my family members, and mostly just pet peeves, only one thing that really gets me.

First is my cousin, we golf a great deal, he kind of like to shave off strokes from his score, honestly I think sometimes its unintentional and just a miscalculation or something minor and silly, but occasionally I get the feeling that some of the time it is on puporse which bothers me a little if he beats me. Another is his use of mulligans, generally well do a mulligan or two on 18 perfectly acceptable to us, but he ends up using more than that, really shame on me for allowing it without really not making him use his first ball. The last one is what really bothers me, I hit the ball a little longer than he does usually a club longer little less or little more depending on the distance. And we gauge each other for distance a good amount of time asking what the other plan on using for the shot, and honestly it is a good gauge and is helpful. The problem is when I pick and club and committ to it and he goes and says that Ill never make it with that club, or its the wrong club to use or what not. I dont mean to be rudeto him but I know my distances alot better than you do, just because you would hit a 7 iron and I am hitting 8 iron doesnt mean its the wrong club. It just make me second guess myself, and Ill get a little itchy and a little more prone to mis hitting the shot, giving him more reason to think that he is right, but I love the occasion when I hit it perfect and I just look at him :)

The second is my brother in law, he has the weirdest way of lining up his shots. Hell take his club stand behind the ball and look straight at the target and line up the club as if he is at address, then make any adjustments miniscule at that. Once he is decided hell swing around and stand at the correct address position, and after all of that back off and take a couple of practice swing, really! I mean you went through all of that to the miniscule of degress just to back off and take some practice swings? Oh well what can I say, great guy, great athlete too, just needs to improve.

Last is my dad, and its just something I ride on him about. He likes to use a punch shot when its absolutely not needed, I dont know why especially because it never seems to work out for him. I always tease him if he announces that is the shot he is going to use, I just dont know why he doesnt use the correct club in the first place, silly guy!

In my 's bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5, Fujikara Red R Flex shaft, and Winn PCI grip
3w, 5w: HiBore XLS Fujikara Gold R Flexshaft, and Winn PCI grips
Irons: Viper HT heads, True Temper XL Lite shafts, and Winn PCI grips
Putter: XG #9 35"Ball: TP II

My dad feels the need to give everyone advice (he's at LEAST a 20 handi) and says after he duffs a hook that kills more worms than seconds it flies...'oh if i just opened my clubface' or, 'if my just allowed my hips to come through' or 'that deer just shat in the middle of my swing'...and playing with my two friends...one of them takes it rather serious but we still have a good time and the other swears he can beat us any day of the week but if his driver is off leaves the course (not being overdramatic at all).

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Note: This thread is 5186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!